Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: soldering iron recommendation
Slater

posted on 26/5/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
soldering iron recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good soldering iron. What wattage do I need?

I just need it for the odd job with car wiring, like repairing the connections on my CVH starter motor.

Cheers
Keith.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

miikae

posted on 26/5/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Weller TCP with a wide choice of bits , but if you want to do battery cables etc , then you will need something much bigger .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 26/5/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought a butane one from Maplin for working on the car.... £20 and no nasty leeds to get in the way when you're working in wierd positions.
britishtrident

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Do the main starter connections with blow lamp.

For other heavy(ish) use I use an instant heat gun bought from Woolworths for a fiver about 10 years back -- I think they still sell them but Woolies stock of tools varies according to seasons.

02GF74

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I swear by Antex.

I have 15 W for light duty - for soldering thinning cables and components onto pcb.

A 25 W woulld do that just as well.

See Maplins - unless you do a lot of circuit building, you won't need a temperature controlled workstation.

I doubt neither of these will handle heavier guage wires, like starter motors - in the past I use a blower torch to solder on a battery cable to clamp,

Mr G

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Maplins have this this little gem at £9.99 reduced down from £30

LINKY

Variable temp, holder, sponge - decent changable tip system.

You can check online to see if your local store has stock.

Can't fault mine so far

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

yamapinto

posted on 26/5/08 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
The iron above looks pretty good, but i've had some of the really cheep Maplin Irons that haven't lasted so long.

I'd defintaly recomend investing in 1 with a stand of some sorts otherwise you need to keep finding something heatproof to stand it on.

Occasionally Aldi etc have some quite comprehensive kits on offer with 2 sizes of irons and all the soldier, flux, de-braid and stand etc.

RickRick

posted on 26/5/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
i had the very same maplins baring iron, but the hot part melted it's way out of the handle the first time i used it not impressed
rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have had and used loads of different irons over the years . Now have a gas powered iron which has a load of different tips , heats up quickly even with the largest tip is totally portable and easy to use . Gets my vote
ChrisW

posted on 26/5/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Gas one is the way to go for car work when it's mainly soldering wires together and doing larger jobs. For circuit building I made do with a 25watt Antec for years, but when I left work I bought a Weller station the same as I had access too there. Makes life a lot easier and neater.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 26/5/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thermostatic control is a big advantage unless only very occasional use. Non-thermostatic irons overheat quite quickly when left on but not being used, which erodes the bit and causes poor solder joints until the temperature has lowered sufficiently. Thermostatic irons tend to be higher power (e.g. the 50W wellers) so can cope with larger jobs.

We use Metcals in work, expensive but once you've used one it's hard going back to a Weller etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.