Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 question - probably stupid....
swanny

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
V8 question - probably stupid....

hello,

Probably a daft question....
I have a v8 in a vindicator sprint, and am using the original Su carbs, (as i cant afford shiny new ones) The carbs will stick out of the bonnet, and i've bought K&N filters in place of the original drain pipe air filter. however i want to avoid the filters sticking out of the bonnet too, (air too cold) and wondered if there were any products out there that i can buy off the shelf to move the filter back under the bonnet? does anyone have any pics of similar installations with Su's?

the orginal rover pipes look a bit like an old telephone reciever and seem to send the air filter back rather than down.

apologies if thats not clear!

paul

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Surprised your concerned about the air being to cold, engines develop the most power when fed cold air and so long as the carbs are heated by the manifold sufficiently to prevent carb icing, I’d suggest you leave them as be.

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
The only issue I'd have with the filters sticking out the top of the car is if it's raining and they get soaking. Then again the oiled K+N type filters should be pretty good at repelling water....

As Mr Whibbly said cold air is good....

swanny

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
it was the icing thing that bothered me. also the fact that if theres anything else sticking through the bonnet and i wont be able to see the road!
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
the manifold has a lot of hot water going through it and indeed the rover v8 tends to suffer from being too hot due to all that aluminium, if the carbs get to cold then remove the thick plastic insulating spacers and just use the paper gaskets alone. I think once your on the road you’ll quickly adapt to your restricted view, many folk have huge superchargers on the top of their engine and seem to be quite happy.

one can dream...

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment Mad_Max.jpg
Rescued attachment Mad_Max.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vindicator

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
As you sure you want to stick a V8 in a sprint.....
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vindicator
As you sure you want to stick a V8 in a sprint.....

.....without a blower?

swanny

posted on 28/5/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
or NOS?

nice to see another sprint owner on here!

02GF74

posted on 28/5/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
The MGB V8 inlet manifold sits lower but I don't know by how much; they are quite hard to find and £££

the design doesn't look particularly clever either.

bottom of page

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
The MGB V8 inlet manifold sits lower but I don't know by how much; they are quite hard to find and £££

the design doesn't look particularly clever either.

bottom of page

I’d have to agree, don’t like that at all. Seems to be directing the air towards the front cylinders with a nasty almost 170 deg bend for the rear ones.

TL

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Why not cut the telephone receivers in half, rotate one end trough 180 degrees, and join the ends back together (weld/ sleeve/araldite??), thus changing them from "U" shaped tubes to "S" shaped? filters would then be over the exhaust manifolds (I know, not ideal)

might be worth a thought

HTH

Cheers,

Terry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.