Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone with CFD experience? I have a Q.
garage19

posted on 30/5/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone with CFD experience? I have a Q.

I have got a copy of solidworks 07 which comes with COSMOS express. This is a limited version of their full CFD package.

Now i ran a test on an inlet manifold and the rsults it shows me are in m/s. It will only show me air velocity not flow.

My question is how closely are veocity and actual flow related. The full package will show me velocity, flow and pressure through the vessel.

ed_crouch

posted on 30/5/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tricky.

I guess it gives you a velocity profile from the wall to the middle of the section?

you can mathematically slice the section up into concentric onion rings, calculate the cross sectional (i.e. perdendicular to flow) area of each. Then you can use the velocity info to work out what volumetric flow rate is. Then, if you have pressure data, you can calculate the density of the air at that point and calculate mass flow rate. Do all this for each onion ring, then add the flow rates up to give total flow.

This all assumes laminar flow conditions, i.e. no turbulence, Reynolds number of less than 500,000 IIRC. I dont know if the cut down CFD package would give you that info.

HTH.

Ed.

[Edited on 30/5/08 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

D Beddows

posted on 30/5/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, my degree dissertation was all about CFD... This is like FEA though in that it's a serious case of knowing enough to know what what the question is you're asking and how to ask it before you ask it or you're just wasting your time - and you need to know the theory behind it before you know what question you need to ask....... sound negative? yup, guilty but comos express is a toy that'll give you pretty pictures but not much else.

Why do people think engineering is soooo easy - I did 4 years averaging 25 hours a week of lectures to get my degree and I knew nothing really at the end of it apart from how little I knew

ettore bugatti

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I heard that it is important to have equal lenght flow lines to every runner.
There are some interesting literature on the web

Alan B

posted on 4/6/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
......Why do people think engineering is soooo easy......

I hear you.

I think it's because to some extent you can see it and touch it......in my experience electrical and software guys are the worse...seem to think that mech. engineering is a doddle and will implement mechanical changes that are very ill advised.

Usual the mechanical guys will end up getting them out of trouble.

Oh well.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 5/6/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
in my experience electrical and software guys are the worse...seem to think that mech. engineering is a doddle

Well it is isn't it? What's so difficult about big chunks of metal? You should try electron herding, fiddly little buggers let me tell you. Don't get me started on civil engineers/concrete jockeys 'make it like it looks strong enough then add 4 more tons of hardcore'

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.