Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Timing belt woes on Pug 106 (slight whining noise - help please)
hobbsy

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Timing belt woes on Pug 106 (slight whining noise - help please)

Just done the timing belt on my girlfriends 106.

Its a very clean 1999V and just approaching 60k miles while it has been very regularily serviced the timing belt hasn't been done as yet.

I had one of these as my first car and did the belt on that when I got it. I remember it being a pain as it was very tight against the inner wing and chassis leg around the cam belt covers.

To compound matters its a 2 piece cover rather than a 3 piece (bottom 2 bits joined into one) so its even harder to get off than mine.

Anyway it all timed up and started ok, went for a run to shops, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in that 2 mile drive but on the way back could hear a very slight whining noise that rises with the revs.

My thoughts are:

1) Belt rubbing on smeggy timing belt cover - very hard to see if this is the case but you'd think it would make a lot of noise. Writing on the belt is still intact, belt felt hot but then again the cam wheel its on is even hotter (right in the middle).

You can't see everywhere to see if its on 100% but all the bolts are in fine and I think its unlikely as it would surely make a lot more noise?

2) Tension too high by itself. I could only do the "turn by 90deg with fingers on the longest run" method to tension as I don't have the special tool. I turned it over 4 times and retensioned (as suggested by the book of lies) but I may have set it too tight.

3) Tension too high causing water pump (original) to moan. As above except maybe the tension is about ok but with a new belt and slighter higher than before the original pump doesn't like it. There were no signs of leaks and I've only just done the coolant so couldn't be arsed to change it.

Any thoughts / experiences with these gents?

As it is I'm going to leave it for tonight and drive the gf to work then have another go tomorrow night.

Water pump isn't expensive but more faff dropping coolant (and also looks very tight to remove like everything on that side of the engine).

Either way I've got to take both bits of the cover off (and the bottom pulley) to relax the belt tension (if thats the problem).

[Edited on 1/6/08 by hobbsy]

coozer

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Rip the engine out, put a Sierra diff under the back and a zetec up front. You may have to enlarge the tunnel to get the type 9 in but it will be worth it.

Sorry, but thats what I'm going to do to a Saxo.. later..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Whining noise is nearly always due to being a bit over tensioned IME.
hobbsy

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Coozer - it would be an XE if I did that but I don't think she'd be up for it

Mike - the more I think about it thats what I think. Annoying as it takes forever just to get the bottom cover off to get to the tensioner. Although as with most things it will be quicker the second time I do it (and possibly with less swearing).

What makes it whine I wonder? The tensioner or the water pump or the belt itself?

westf27

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
been there several times and its usually too tight.You tend to think on the side of caution when tensioning to prevent tooth jump and overtighten.Release a smidge and bet the whine goes.Did you fit a kit or just the belt ? pulleys can collapse.Better acces can be gained by jacking off the engine mount.
Thats sounds a touch smutty but you get the gist.

hobbsy

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Westf27 - Its all good mate, any input is great. Fitted a kit (belt and tensioner), did consider supporting the engine and removing the mount but seemed like too much hassle (is that what you meant?).

Will try backing it off a bit first then.

Any one got any better ways of setting the tension than the 90deg twist on longest run method.

Come to think of it it was quite a bit of effort to twist it 90deg but like you said you tend to think that its better a fraction too tight than a fraction too loose.

I think the book of lies said its just supposed to be between ONE finger and thumb. Maybe I used more than one finger...

muzchap

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
One finger....

Well depends on how many pies you've been eating More pies = fatter fingers = different tension

If you replaced the tensioners has to be too tight...

Good luck - I hate french cars

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

adithorp

posted on 1/6/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Prob' too tight. The 90' should be fairly easy to turn. Most new belt failures are due to over tentioning.

adrian

ch1ll1

posted on 1/6/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
hi
remove the aux belt and check again,
these suffer with tensioner and alternator probs aswell !

if noise is still there with aux belt removed then i would say its too tight !
these belt are quite a sloppy fit ,

paul

[Edited on 1/6/08 by ch1ll1]

hobbsy

posted on 1/6/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I already massively backed off the alternator belt as the first thing to try as miles easier. No difference - so ruled it out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.