Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And now the rear end...
Alan B

posted on 3/6/08 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
And now the rear end...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sven

posted on 3/6/08 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
Beautifully done, Alan!

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

TheGecko

posted on 3/6/08 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice work Alan, as always. I particularly like the criss-cross bottom wishbone - should be light but stiff.

Must be close to drivable now?

Dominic

worX

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice.

Have you seen the pattern for the lower rear wishbone on something else or did you come up with that yourself Alan?

Steve

nick205

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
to your usual standardas Alan - beautiful
Alan B

posted on 3/6/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys..positive encouragement is always welcome......as is critisism too..

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd seen the criss-cross lower wishbone before or not, but it works in this application because the toe adjustment is right at the outer rod ends rather than a seperate link. It does, however, rely on accurate spacing between rod ends so that they aren't unduly stressed when tightened. Of course any toe change will affect the distance between crush surfaces on the upright, but it's very small...1.5 degrees of toe change makes only 0.002" of difference. Again, thanks..it is very much appreciated.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eccsmk

posted on 3/6/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Thanks guys..positive encouragement is always welcome......as is critisism too..

thats rubbish lol
only joking top job there you should be really proud of that well done !

mookaloid

posted on 3/6/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really liking the way this car is shaping up

Well done that man - keep up the good work!

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

skydivepaul

posted on 4/6/08 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
looking very nice Alan.

Has the paint dried yet

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Alan B

posted on 4/6/08 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
looking very nice Alan.

Has the paint dried yet

Has it bollocks...unbelievable in these temperatures....

Good job I'm planning a stripdown, grit blast and re-paint after it's built and tested...

Spyderman

posted on 4/6/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
It looks very nice Alan. Very tidy indeed.

The one thing I would be worried about is the welded joint between the wishbones and the rod ends at the chassis end due to the extreme angle. What I am thinking of is when the side loading is high during cornering, any shock loading is putting a lot of stress, as leverage into the welded joint.
I certainly wouldn't criticise your welding as I am no expert, but am merely voicing my fears!
I say this because in normal wishbones the loading is going in a straight line from the wishbone into the pivot so that any welded joint is only in tension or compression. With your joints there is a bending force also. Due to the very wide angle of the wishbones they need to be more resistant to bending loads than in a normal situation, hence the greater loading on the pivots and welds.

Tell me to shut up if I am talking b0ll0cks!

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 4/6/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Terry, your observations are accurate and in particular on the top wishbone, that is why I'll be be putting a tube lengthways between the rod end tube joints (also spotted by Syd, so you are in good company)...the tube should arrive today.

It's really not as bad it looks from the pics, but for the sake of a small tube to triangulate the wishbone it's silly not to.

Thanks all for the comments.

Alan

JC

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Alan, quick question - what size are the bolts that mount the rear calipers to your uprights? I'm looking to use the same and am want to check before I buy!!!

Fab build - keep it up!

JC

Alan B

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks JC...

The bolts I'm using are high tensile M10 x 1.25 x 40 long...your length could vary as I'm bolting through a 1/2" (13mm) flange.

HTH,

Alan

JC

posted on 5/6/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Alan, that's perfect!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.