Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello Again - What Garage Size??
Gremlin

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Again - What Garage Size??

Hi, to all I have come back to the fold, I doubt anyone can remember me it was a few years back but I was building a R1 BEC car but due to a divorce my house/garage had to go and so did the project.

That was a few years ago now and I'm back in the situation again where I would like to start building again. Slightly rusty with the latest engine choices and kits but hope to get back up to speed quick enough and may build the chassis again like I did last time.

The only problem at the minute is I have no garage to build in. I have a reasonable size back garden which opens onto a road so hope to put a garage up at the end big enough to start my build which is where my question comes in.

Firstly what size is a normal garage with plenty of room to move around a car with tools on the flooor? Secondly I assume I would need planning for a built garage would I need it for a metal|wooden shed of a particular size?

Thanks in advance to all and its nice to be back.

Mike

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

andyd

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome back.

IIRC a non-permanent structure i.e. a wooden shed doesn't need planning permission so long as it's under a certain size.

Worth checking with your local planning dept as they'll give you free advice if you call them.

I'm remembering Tommy Walsh's workshop build programme in which he built a large wooden structure and stated that it didn't need planning permission. I'm not 100% if there were other stipulations in play though.

As I say, local planning dept will steer you right.

Andy

worX

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I did have that program recorded until yesterday!
I am sure he said something like he could build it up to 4metres or 4.5metres tall without planning permission!

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
Welcome back.

IIRC a non-permanent structure i.e. a wooden shed doesn't need planning permission so long as it's under a certain size.

Worth checking with your local planning dept as they'll give you free advice if you call them.

I'm remembering Tommy Walsh's workshop build programme in which he built a large wooden structure and stated that it didn't need planning permission. I'm not 100% if there were other stipulations in play though.

As I say, local planning dept will steer you right.

Gremlin

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Was that the guy who build a car in the wooden shed and had then have it lifted by crane over his house? If so I have seen that but can’t remember the size either.

EZy GreMLiN

andyd

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin
Was that the guy who build a car in the wooden shed and had then have it lifted by crane over his house? If so I have seen that but can’t remember the size either.

No, that was "Kitcar Crisis"... might be worth having a Google for that though as it might state how big his "shed" was.

Just had a search on my local council planning site and got a link though to "planning portal". On there is a Flash app which give info about extensions etc. Got the following snippet about "sheds"...

Shed building info
Shed building info

Andy

andyd

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Actually that's about build regs not planning regs! Oops, sorry.

And there's me who used to write the building reg software for my local council!! Fancy not spotting the diff between planning regs and building regs.

Right, let's try a different tack... here's the Planning Portal link I found... Linky

Click the "Launch Guide" doodad.

Andy

Gremlin

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Great thanks.

What size is a normal garage then? How big is big enough to house a complete car with plenty or room to work around it and have tools?

EZy GreMLiN

andyd

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin
Great thanks.

What size is a normal garage then? How big is big enough to house a complete car with plenty or room to work around it and have tools?

About 6m x 3m is a "standard" garage but IMHO that's not big enough. It'll fit a normal car in but getting in/out is a PITA. 6m might be ok length wise for a locost but 3m isn't wide enough really for decent working space.

If I were thinking about doing this I'd go to the council offices and pick their noggins as they'll have the actual plans for your house and be able to advise how big and where. I'd also go for the biggest structure I was allowed without the full plans permission i.e. cost/hassle.

HTH

Edited to say... lots of folks do build in a "std" garage. I've been there, done that but generally speaking, rolled the chassis outside to work on it and only used the garage as storage.

[Edited on 3/6/2008 by andyd]

Andy

Gremlin

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks all I will look further into it.

EZy GreMLiN

MikeR

posted on 3/6/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
i'm building in a single garage and its a pain. A double garage would be a lot easier, nicer, fun(er) and everything else (er).
r1_pete

posted on 3/6/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I built one 8M x 5M in place of a single, don't know about planning rules, but bigger is good, here's whats going on in there at the mo and I can still get another car in alongside...

[Edited on 3/6/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eccsmk

posted on 3/6/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
just been chatting about my garage to a builder
rules here are providing its more than 5 metres from your house floor area is almost without limits providing the highest point is no more than 4 metres but building regs apply
HTH

Gremlin

posted on 3/6/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks all I now have plenty to think of...

EZy GreMLiN

wicket

posted on 3/6/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look here
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233153.html

andrew.carwithen

posted on 3/6/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
My garage has internal dimensions of 11' wide and 16'8" long. I have storage shelving all down one side and a workbench along the back wall. I still have plenty of working room around my Avon (provided I keep on top of keeping the garage tidy)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.