Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting Carbon Fibre
StevieB

posted on 3/6/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting Carbon Fibre

As a paranoid lunatic, I've avoided the notion of having a carbon dash so far as I don't like the idea of cutting it (nasty, nasty stuff)

Whats the best and safest method to use - I use paper masks when cutting grp, but I still always feel that somethings getting through.

indykid

posted on 3/6/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
buy a proper mask then.

with paper masks, stuff WILL be getting through.

surely £12 on a 3M 6000 series mask off ebay would be the best way to satisfy your paranoia

tom

twybrow

posted on 3/6/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stevie, I work with the stuff day in day out. Just try to avoid the dust, as you would any dust. I would no sooner breath in GRP, MDF, steel dust or anything else! Use extraction where possible (read vacuum cleaner) and a dust mask. You can use a hacksaw quite effectively (an air saw even better). For detailed work, a Dremmel works wonders. Don't get caught up in the magic of carbon!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
You might find this link usefull.

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/shaping.php

Werner Van Loock

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
For cutting the rough shape in carbon use a carbide covered saw blade, available for metal saws in round shape for making turns easy or regular blade for straight cutting

Only downside is that it makes loads of dust, but it's the fastest way, believe me, been using this very long in building(designing) RC model cars

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon is much easier to cut than glass as the fibres are more brittle. A hacksaw will cut it neatly and files / sandpaper shape it very tidily.
eccsmk

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
mmmm should i or not mmmm
click me please

twybrow

posted on 3/6/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch! Someone must have deep pockets this month!

Triton

posted on 3/6/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
mad price for that stuff

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
orbital

posted on 3/6/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Having just done my carbon boot lid I actually feel I can add something to a thread! (there's a first!) I bought a Perma Grit hacksaw blade and sanding block from Carbon mods and they really are excellent tools for the job. The hacksaw blade goes through it lovely and shaping the curves with the sanding block was quite therapeutic The dust is nasty stuff though and be sure to keep as much skin covered as possible as it bloody itches!

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 103030p://4115 by orbital]

Syd Bridge

posted on 4/6/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've worked with all sorts of composites for more than 35 years, and still alive!

The most important thing to remember when cutting and shaping, is use a TOOTHED cutting tool. That is, one that CUTS, and doesn't abrade. Toothed tools make small pieces of swarf, and not fine dust. The dust floats in the air, the chunky swarf falls to the floor.

Anything that makes dust is to be avoided. This includes most of the coated tools. They might cut well, but that dust will do you in quick time.

And always use the best mask available.

Cheers,
Syd.

carbonmods

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Toothed tools will keep the dust down but you won't find many carbon fibre manufacturers using toothed tools because they can splinter and fray the edges of the product. We do always abrade (using permagrit tools) because this won't fracture, crack or fray the edges. Even if you 'cut' with teeth you'll still have to rub back with grit to get a smooth edge anyway.

I second the poster who says don't get too caught up in the magic of carbon. It cuts like GRP (pre-preg is a little tougher to cut but not massively). We work with it day in, day out. We'd happilly just wear a mask and treat it like any other workshop material. I too would be more worried about MDF or glass dust, and not that worried about those.

Matt

Carbon Mods - www.carbonmods.co.uk
Performance Carbon Fibre Components

Peteff

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk
mmmm should i or not mmmm
click me please

It won't fit your Indy, they are a lot lower and the front is not as deep.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.