Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wider Wheels on the Rear of an Indy?
Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wider Wheels on the Rear of an Indy?

I see that a lot of Se7en's have wider wheels on the rear do Indys generally have matching wheels on all four corners?

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin
I see that a lot of Se7en's have wider wheels on the rear do Indys generally have matching wheels on all four corners?

Depends on the weight distribution but even with a Pinto up front it is a good idea, with a BEC it is pretty well essential.

Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to have matching wheels or to have wider at the back?

Im planning a BEC.

[Edited on 5/6/08 by Gremlin]

EZy GreMLiN

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre contact area should be roughly in line with weight distribution -- most Locost and Indy chassis are slightly tail heavy .

BEC are always lighter at the front than the back -- so for example 175 or 185 section tyres at the front and 195 or 205 section at the rear it should make the handling less oversteery.

Also it pays to choose tyres that are the narrower end of the fittment range for the wheel rim width -- ie narrow tyre on wide rim gives much better handling than a wide tyre squeezed on to a narrow rim.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/6/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
With a BEC you wont have so much weight up front so the tyres wont be worked so hard. I'm fitting narrower on the front of my Tiger (205's on the back and 195's on the front) which will hopefully imporve the front end turn in.

Look at a lotus elise as a comparison, mid engined and not much weight up the front like a BEC. They use something like 175's on the front i believe.

Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks.

So as well as tyres being narrower the wheel should be also.

If I go for the 15” x 6J Alloy wheel with ET38 offset fitted with 195/50R15 as mentioned by MK build manual how should that differ for my car with a bike engine?

Should this be the front with ??? on the back or these be the back with ??? on the front?

Sorry for the questions but I hadn't thought of this before.

EZy GreMLiN

bassett

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not an Indy but very similar on my MNR ive got 7j x 15 wheels with 195s all round as i like to change the tyres front and back to spread wear evenly then when it comes to replace them i can change all to one type at the same time

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin

If I go for the 15” x 6J Alloy wheel with ET38 offset fitted with 195/50R15 as mentioned by MK build manual how should that differ for my car with a bike engine?

The tyres will fit on a range of rims but heed the advice above. You arent going to fit too dissimilar sized tyres so will be fine with a single sized wheel (mine are 15" x 7" ). Have a look at the chart on the following for the R888 tyres

Toyo R888

[Edited on 5/6/08 by Paul TigerB6]

Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ok im with you.

I can get same wheels all four corners but just go 195 front and 205 back tyres and that should help..

Thats ok as long as i know the wheels can be the same i will worry about rubber after.

Thanks

EZy GreMLiN

snapper

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's all a bit of a guessing game, I think that you have a fair bit of setting up to do using the available geometry before guessing at tyre sizes.
Tyre temp is a good indication of how the tyres are being affected.

I WOULD.... buy the wheels and tyres in the size recomended, spend some time on the geometry and tyre pressures and then if you need bigger on the back or smaller on the front you will only need to replace 2

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Probably worth deciding what tyres you want now though. If you go for the R888's or A048R's then the sizes you specify are about as good as you will get and in that case a set of 15" x 7" are perfect (I took exactly the same advice as BritishTrident gives above before i bought mine). I did look initially for 185's for the front of mine but Toyo dont do them for the R888. I also looked at going for 215's on the back of mine but these will still fit on the 15" x 7"s if i want to go wider but doubt this will be required even with the ZX10R
Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
So what you saying its getting confusing now..

Buy the wheels that MK suggest then just buy different rubber?

EZy GreMLiN

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/6/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Take the advice of those who have already done the research on here specific to a BEC. Tiger recommend 205's all round but thats for a Car Engined Car (and i assume its the same for MK). Take maybe 100kg out of the front of the car and its a whole new ballgame.

With the amount of BEC Indys out there, there should be no reason for you to have to start from scratch with set-up

Jubal

posted on 5/6/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
You are over complicating things. If you use your car on track at all then you'll go through tyres and can play about with sizes when you replace them. Just buy four wheels the same size and start with four tyres the same size.

Like the other's have said, there's a load of driver learning, suspension fettling and tyre choices (all the same) to work through before even thinking about different sizes.

Gremlin

posted on 5/6/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Over Complicating things me!

Friends will tell you thats me... DOH

Ok thanks all think i will start out as recomended and go from there... Thanks again.

EZy GreMLiN

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.