Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TVR reliability?
MK Charlie

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
TVR reliability?

I am currently on the hunt for a new car, and am after something a little fancy. I did really want a 4seater, but you cant get much fancier than a TVR at 21!
Only problem is this car will be my daily driver, and everyone knows that they are not the most reliable cars on the roads (about as reliable as my Indy in fact).
Only reason i'm even thinking about it is because i've been offered a tuscan speed 6 dirt cheap.

opinions please

Charlie

coozer

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it and join the RAC/AA/GreeeeeeenFlaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

speedyxjs

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I heard at one point that on average a TVR would break down every six months
I totally disagree that you cant get fancier than a TVR at 21. I went for a Jag at 19
Seriously though, would be a good show off car but not sure as a daily driver (also check out the insurance )

[Edited on 26-6-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

82 Locost

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
My S2 is relaible, and I use it every day and for long trips too.

Good Club Scene.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=11

Cheap as chips, great sound

Kriss

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Probably dirt cheap for a reason. Rebuilds are frequent, endless electric and trim issues too.

I looked at a Tuscan when I was 22 and instead went for a Clio V6.

Much cheaper servicing costs, more solid engine (abliet not as quick) still the same terrible handling too lol.

A localish TVR dealer too me MOle Valley stopped TVR's as its just too time consuming and warranty claims sucked away too much resource.

Still a great looking car.

Cerbera with the new front end is a lot more reliable

UncleFista

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
The straight 6 is the one to avoid, even less reliable than the 8

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

82 Locost

posted on 26/6/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
The S2 has a V6 Cologne Engine and, as an understressed lazy engine is unlikely to need a reduild. Same for the RV8 versions. Avoid anything too exotic, and as long as you know how a spanner works you should have few problems. However, TVRs have a reputation for poor relaibility, usually because they don't get used very often.

My full service costs about £40 because I do it myself. Anybody who can't service an S2 shouldn't be allowed to drive.

tegwin

posted on 26/6/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Good god...Speed 6 at 21.... Do you mind me asking how much the insurance is?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MK Charlie

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I get the insurance at the cost of the underwriters cos I have a good friend who works for an insurance company. I'm paying £400 for my toyota celica 190 fully comp, £170 for the Indy fully comp, and the speed 6 was £1200 fully comp with 12k miles per year. Its not what you know.........
tegwin

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Good god! Thats an amazing deal..

I pay £1200 for a Polo GTI 1.6 with 2Yrs NCB (im 20)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

eznfrank

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I hear they're pretty good on fuel.
Alan B

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
TVR reliability

How odd.....I've never seen those two words together before...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 26/6/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK Charlie
£400 for my toyota celica 190 fully comp, £170 for the Indy fully comp, and the speed 6 was £1200 fully comp with 12k miles per year.

Just think what mods you could do to either the Celica or the Indy for £1200!

Being an old over the hill fart I'm amazed that you young boys would a) consider £1200 good value for 365 days or motoring and b) can afford such an amount!

I'm all for having a nice ride and all but I think that's an obscene amount to pay.

Just IMHO obviously.

Andy

MK Charlie

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I do agree that £1200 is still alot of money, but when you put it into perspective of what car i'd be driving it makes it fairly good value.
I know its a bit flash, but I've just landed myself a good job on really good money for my age. I've worked really hard to get where I am now, and thought I may aswell treat myself while I'm young and dont have kids or a SWMBO

D Beddows

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
lol, flash yes - but you do realise don't you that it'll only impress your mates, everybody else will just think you're driving your dads car.......or that you've just nicked it!!

There have been a couple of threads like this recently which have made me wonder exactly where my life went wrong - £10k to spend on a car and not bothered about paying £1200 a year insurance and only 21!!! can't be a bad life!

MK Charlie

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well my view is that the meanining of life is to get as many toys as you possibly can while you can. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I live with my parents and have a reasonable job. My friends all went to uni, and I made the decision not to, and for me this has paid off. They are all coming out of uni and starting jobs on around £15k. Aswell as my mon-fri job I do 4 nights a month as a dj at a local pub/club which is an extra £200 per night! I work hard and feel I should reward myself, but am really struggling on choosing a car.
djrichie_stix

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I do agree that £1200 is still alot of money, but when you put it into perspective of what car i'd be driving it makes it fairly good value.
I know its a bit flash, but I've just landed myself a good job on really good money for my age. I've worked really hard to get where I am now, and thought I may aswell treat myself while I'm young and dont have kids or a SWMBO

djrichie_stix

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
and if you buy it and don't want it/crash it... sell me the engine, gear box and rear suspension!

[Edited on 26/6/08 by djrichie_stix]

Alan B

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well my view is that the meanining of life is to get as many toys as you possibly can while you can. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I live with my parents and have a reasonable job. My friends all went to uni, and I made the decision not to, and for me this has paid off. They are all coming out of uni and starting jobs on around £15k. Aswell as my mon-fri job I do 4 nights a month as a dj at a local pub/club which is an extra £200 per night! I work hard and feel I should reward myself, but am really struggling on choosing a car.

Good on ya mate...sounds like you've earned it...enjoy it..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
MK Charlie ....Good attitude to have....I had the same philosophy but spent the money on learning to drive this instead:

And I have the flexibility of being able to change jobs fairly easily unlike all my graduate friends who HAVE to have a job to pay their debts off

Although I wouldnt say no to a TVR

[Edited on 26/6/08 by tegwin]

Peteff

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
TVR reliability

How odd.....I've never seen those two words together before...

It's called an oxymoron Alan, like military intelligence.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

D Beddows

posted on 26/6/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't having a go by the way If you've earned it you go out and spend it! - wish my stepkids had a bit of the same attitude rather than 'it's too hard, I can't be bothered, can I 'borrow' £20.........'
dhutch

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...They are all coming out of uni and starting jobs on around £15k...

Mad isnt it.
- A little bit offtopic, but a load of people i started uni with are just graduating, and having just spoken to a few of them, geography/finanace students and the like, 15k seams about standard.
- Im doing engineering and am on a years placment between 2nd and 3rd year and being paid about that. Once i graduate i have a job waiting for me with a starting wage of £26k.

However it still drive a high-milage french hatchback.
(dont that i dont love the 306, but...)

Daniel.

Macbeast

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
There are some compensations to being old then
trogdor

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i sometimes wish i hadn't gone to uni as the job i am doing now doesn't need my degree! does help abit though as i work for a laboratory supplier it helps to have a science degree people think you know what you are doing!

However am only on 15K and am well into overdraft (approx £3k but still interest free tho)and have about 16K of loan to pay back.

Still would go to uni like a shot tho if i could make my choice again. It was the best time in my life, stressful and hard work towards the end but still good.

Just to add even if i was earning loads of money i don't think i could spend that much on a car. 10K is alot of money. So far i haven't spent more than £175 on one!

[Edited on 26/6/08 by trogdor]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.