Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Phillips Ambilight T.V.
pjavon

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Phillips Ambilight T.V.

Anyone got one of these, thinking of buying a new telly and quite like the sound of this but not to sure if it would get on my nerves after the novelty has worn off. Any other opinions on other makes around the 42 inch size would also be appreciated as all the sites just seem to try to baffle you with big words and science which don't really mean to much to me
I would like one with as much built in as possible (free-view HDD etc) but that's not a necessity, really just any help anyone can give me.
Thanks Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

vinny1275

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I recently got a 40inch Samsung, and it's great. Has 3 HDMI ports (including one on the side which is handy for an HD camcorder) and great contrast ratio (25,000:1). It's great for TV, DVDs through scart and games / Blu-ray DVDs through my PS3.

And now it's 250 quid cheaper than when I bought it! Have seen the newer one (the red tinged one) for 1000, including a free blu-ray player (new one has 4 HDMI ports).

the Samsung ones are endlessly configurable, you can get settings for them from www.avforums.com whatever TV you choose - I found the best settings for my TV on there. There are also reviews of all the major models on there.

HTH

Vince

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
it would get on my nerves

if the bulbs were not so expensive and short lived I'd buy an overhead projector. Till then I'll stick with my big square box

I have freeview box though, £9 from B&Q, really very good

[Edited on 27/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
If i was in the market for a flat tv, then i wouldnt look any further than the the panasonic plasmas. After much hunting and auditioning with my father in law for his, we came to the conclucsion that they are the best quality and value for money.

Ignore fancy gagets like ambilight, they add nothing to the quality of the viewing or sound. which at the end of the day, is what you use a TV for. Of course if you feel that the phillips tv image quality is good and to your liking then dont not get one cuz it has the ambilight stuff!

It also depends on your source. the panasonics still look good (as much as they can) from an SD source. Unless you have sky/virgin HD, a bluray or you want to get the up and coming freesat HD then your not gonna see the benefit of the HD anyway. We took the view that the TV would need upgrading in about 5-6 years anyway, and at this time all the sources we had were SD. With the likely hood of getting a HD source in the next 2-4 years, we thought that the 768HD panasionic HD was the right price and a happy medium as it still displays the SD sources well.

If you want a good test for a tv, watch a footie match. the grass and the 'aritfacts' around the players really show the difference between a good and bad tv.

BenB

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I must admit the ambilight idea sounds so rubbish that the fact that they've made tv with the technology means it must be better than everyone imagines!! Surely???

Then again I reckon I'd either not notice it or it'd get on my thrupnees.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Amazingly even though I have looked at heaps of TV’s lately in loads of shops I have yet to see a single HD picture!! Can’t believe they are trying to flog these things but not be bothered even showing the customers what its like, all they need to do is have a DVD playing if they can’t get reception, totally useless. So far I have not been impressed by the quality of the pictures on the screens, some are worse than my old telly!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've just recently bought a Sony Bravia flat-screen TV. First thing I did was turn off all the 'vivid', 'colour-enhanced', auto-this-that-and-the-other' settings, and now I've got a really nice and natural picture.

I felt like putting my sunglasses on prior to doing that...

I don't know why they do it, 'cos the picture is really good without all that nonsense.

(Mind you, it does help that I was taught how to properly set up a colour TV in a broadcast transmission lab!)

DaveFJ

posted on 27/6/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
recently bought a Sony Bravia 46" from Hughes in Ipswich. they have HD playing on a load of their TVs in shop and I found that, when I stood in front of them, i could really see the difference in the image between the Samsung and the Sony... It was enough to persuade me to part with an extra £400!!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
recently bought a Sony Bravia 46" from Hughes in Ipswich. they have HD playing on a load of their TVs in shop and I found that, when I stood in front of them, i could really see the difference in the image between the Samsung and the Sony... It was enough to persuade me to part with an extra £400!!

I mind being in a shop and over hearing the sales man explaining that the expensive tv had better soldering!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

loggyboy

posted on 27/6/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Amazingly even though I have looked at heaps of TV’s lately in loads of shops I have yet to see a single HD picture!!

When ever ive looked at TVs, HD demos is all i ever see.
Which are all well and good but you will note that all HD demos are slow moving/near still shots, stick a fast moving sequence (from an HD source or not) and you really begin to see where the low/mid priced lcd/plasma technology is lacking compared to CRTs.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Amazingly even though I have looked at heaps of TV’s lately in loads of shops I have yet to see a single HD picture!!

When ever ive looked at TVs, HD demos is all i ever see.
Which are all well and good but you will note that all HD demos are slow moving/near still shots, stick a fast moving sequence (from an HD source or not) and you really begin to see where the low/mid priced lcd/plasma technology is lacking compared to CRTs.

well I've been right up to the screens and they look no better pixel size than my ray gun so I have to assume they are in LD...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

joolsmi16

posted on 27/6/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
tv

Don't buy phillips I work in a electrical retail shop and philips always go wrong, ambilight only works if the tv is mounted on the wall viewing it at night with no lights on in the room.

Try and buy Samsung I've just got a 40" deal on in work. Samsung uses a lot of sony parts. Also look at LG and Tosh.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.