Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non Locost Question
The Doc

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Non Locost Question

In the decades I have been doing up old knackers I have never really resolved this question:

When repairing rotten bodywork

Filler then primer or

Primer then filler?

I have generally thought it best to use rust arresting primer, then filler but on new metal not so sure.

Any body repair experts out there who can advise?

TA

Mike

r1_pete

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
My view when restoring bodywork, cut out the rust, weld in new metal, never create more layers of metal than original. Grind and tidy welds, 40 grit DA the bare metal, filler, etch primer, primer, finish. Many etch primers wont take polyester fillers on top.
Rgds.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmm, I have always painted the metal with zinc primer or similar then put put filler on top.

pimer/filler primer and paint on top of that.

jabs

posted on 30/6/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Was taught at college, on a car restoration course, to apply filler to bare metal to get a direct bond. otherwise you are just bonding to the paint layer
Delinquent

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabs
Was taught at college, on a car restoration course, to apply filler to bare metal to get a direct bond. otherwise you are just bonding to the paint layer

ironically, I was told NEVER to apply the filler to bare metal for exactly that reason - I was told that the best thing to do is to use either an etch or an epoxy primer first - with preference given to the epoxy primer.

r1_pete

posted on 30/6/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I guess the real answer is there isn't a right or wrong way of doing it, as long as the materials are compatible, and the repair is invisible.. Only time would tell which fails first if at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 30/6/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I was told that you shouldn't apply filler to bare metal as it is porous, so by the time you come round to painting it, it has already drawn in a small amount of moisture and so will therefore start to corrode the area you've just repaired from behind the repair...

Steve

chrsgrain

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
My view when restoring bodywork, cut out the rust, weld in new metal, never create more layers of metal than original. Grind and tidy welds, 40 grit DA the bare metal, filler, etch primer, primer, finish. Many etch primers wont take polyester fillers on top.
Rgds.

I'd agree - but use lead loading in place of the filler.... much better job....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

r1_pete

posted on 30/6/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I agree Chris, tried lead a few times, never seem to get quite enough in, whether its just a skim or a dollop required, end up with a bit of filler rather than starting again.

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/6/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Porous fillers went out with Austin A35's, if you were to etch then fill, when you block out the filler, you would remove the surrounding etch so no point putting it there in the first place.

Bare metal with all welds fully dressed with 80g. No pinholes in the welds or the surrounding steel. never fill onto unkeyed existing paint. Always cover filler with a stopper layer.

We use about 50kgs of stopper a month, but only 5kgs of filler, I personally never use filler, if a dent is that deep, it needs planishing.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.