Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Basic Metalwork
interestedparty

posted on 8/7/02 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Basic Metalwork

I need to bend some steel strip into a gearbox mounting. The strip I have is 40mm by 3mm, and I need to put in 2 45deg bends and 2 90deg bends, all within about 2 inches from each other. I don't have a proper strip bending tool bit but would consider buying one if I could find one that would do this job. All the catalogues I've seen don't say how close the bends can be to achother.
The best idea I've had so far is to cut a notch in the strip maybe halfway through, make the bend (quite easy when it's notched) and then run a line of weld where I've made the notch.
Anybody got a better idea (or a better tool catalogue)?

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/7/02 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
why not just weld it up from bits of the strip?

atb

steve

interestedparty

posted on 9/7/02 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
I did think of welding up bits of strip, but knew I would find it difficult to keep each piece from twisting slightly so that the angles became compound ( I know I'm not explaining it properly).
I know it wouldn't really mattter but I like the stuff I do to look good if possible.

John

jbmcsorley

posted on 9/7/02 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
IMO, Clamp the strip in your least favorite bench vise and have at it with a sledge hammer. A little propane heat might help.

-Jim M.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/7/02 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
problem is with a bench vise, its not toog ood getting angles close together on a small strip, and a benc vise dosent give nice crisp bends on 3mm strip - from experience!

atb

steve

interestedparty

posted on 9/7/02 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've just finished making the mounting bracket in the way I outlined above, and it has worked very well. I drew the bracket first, then cut about halfway through at the correct points. I found that strip would bend easily at the 'scores' and it wasn't necessary to clamp the entire width of the strip. Having checked that the bracket fitted I then welded along the bends.
I tried it either way but found it better to slot the outside of the bend rather than the inside.
I realise that it would be difficult to make the 1.5mm deep slots with an ordinary hacksaw, fortunately I have a Nobex mitre saw with steel cutting blade. Expensive but extremely accurate.

John

MakeEverything

posted on 7/8/08 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
problem is with a bench vise, its not toog ood getting angles close together on a small strip, and a benc vise dosent give nice crisp bends on 3mm strip - from experience!

atb

steve

Make some jaw covers with nice sharp 90 degree tops and bend the steel around that with some heat and an 'ammer.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mr henderson

posted on 7/8/08 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Holy thread revival, Batman!

Anyway, the problem with the vice is, as pointed out above, when you come to do the second bend, and the body/jaws of the vice get in the way

John

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/8/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'll bet that poor fella hasn't slept for the last 6 years thinking of a solution to that. He'll have been driving around in his now fully built 2nd car chuckling at whoever bought his 1st car as he knows there's not a decent gearbox mount there.

mr henderson

posted on 7/8/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
More discussion of the slot-bend-weld technique here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=89722&page=1

John

Cheffy

posted on 8/8/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I'll bet that poor fella hasn't slept for the last 6 years thinking of a solution to that. He'll have been driving around in his now fully built 2nd car chuckling at whoever bought his 1st car as he knows there's not a decent gearbox mount there.

PMSL - now that was funny!

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.