Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got pulled for speeding...
richard thomas

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Got pulled for speeding...

As above really...

Got pulled on the M74 just south of Glasgow and booked for 89MPH. Fixed penalty, 3 points, £60 fine.

Can't argue with it really - the annoying thing is that when the gun was on me and they did the clocking, I was being overtaken by another car!! Copper said he saw it too but I was the one that the gun was pointing at. Unlucky, son....

Thing is, if i what I did was so bad that it deserved a ticket, surely the fella overtaking me must have been doing something worse? But not bad enough to stop and book him....wonder if I should contest the ticket in court with the same arguement?

martyn_16v

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst it's annoying as hell, the fact that someone else was going even faster does nothing to change the fact that you were speeding. Magistrate will give you a funny look, then double the fine/points for wasting their time

COREdevelopments

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
trigger happy b@st&rd!! bet you wish you never left wales now Richard?

rob

[Edited on 3/7/08 by COREdevelopments]

NigeEss

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is there photographic evidence ?

If not you could argue he (plod) must have picked up the guy next to you.

An ex boss of mine blagged a couple of tickets with ballsy arguments.

richard thomas

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest, didn't see a photo, only the 89mph figure on the camera.....

NigeEss

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
There is a slim chance then,as long as the copper is honest in court which they
all are of course. Not

richard thomas

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
good point!

loggyboy

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt really matter if the guy next to you was speeding or not. you were and thats what the points are far. 2 wrongs n all that jazz

Still a shitter tho...

tomblyth

posted on 4/7/08 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
you could argue the your speedo just gone off and hence was brocken ,you were on your way to get it fixed and assumed that if you went slower than the rest of the traffic you would be under the limit! If you were wrong you shoud appologise and ask why you were victomised when obviously the other car in the video was commiting a more serious version of the same offence! (the word victomisation makespeople think twice about there dissisions)
Macbeast

posted on 4/7/08 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Prisoner at the bar, if you knew your speedometer was faulty, would it not have been sensible to drive significantly more slowly than the rest of the traffic thereby leaving some margin of safety ?
tomblyth

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I did see the video ! I was being overtaken!
DaveFJ

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
£60 + 3 points... suck it up! no point doing anything else... even if you did get away with it you have a distinctive car and the copper will be on the lookout for you!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I personally would put in a formal complaint to the police if you were being overtaken at the time he was clocking you - surely a case for victimisation if the officer wasnt clocking the fastest car around??? Never know - it might work.

Whats to say he didnt pick up the speed of the car overtaking you and then pulled you over instead then?? What sort of speed gun was it - in car one??

adithorp

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Funny how when some chav or pikey gets of on a technicality people are all for hanging but when its one of us it's ok to try and wriggle out of it!

Take the points and fine.

adrian

mcerd1

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Whilst it's annoying as hell, the fact that someone else was going even faster does nothing to change the fact that you were speeding. Magistrate will give you a funny look, then double the fine/points for wasting their time

you mean 'sheriff' not magistrate

btw - were there 2 of them when he pulled you over or did he have it on camera?

[Edited on 4/7/08 by mcerd1]

eznfrank

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
If you were looking down the barrel of a ban or very hefty points then I would fight it.

In the circumstances you've got a few points which (unless you already have a few) are unlikely to even put your insurance up, and a £60 fine. Aside from anything else i would imagine it'll cost you more to have the day off work to go to court than you'd have to pay anyway. I think the chances of you succesfully arguing it are very slim.

And as above, yes there may well have been another driver going faster but that doesn't mean that you weren't breaking the law.

I doubt the victimisation thing would do you any good either as you would have to come up with a good reason why you thought you were being victimised. In my line of work I am accused of victimisation, discrimination and racism on an almost weekly basis and not once has it been upheld or deterred me from taking my normal course of action.

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
How absolutely absurd. You got caught fair and square and now you're complaining and trying to drag others down with you. If other peoples speeding bothers you then join your local road safety team.
Just swallow it up man. After all in your own words..

quote:

Can't argue with it really..

So don't!

martyn_16v

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Didn't realise they had sheriffs in Wales. Sounds so much cooler than ours

'Well yes y'honour I did stab 'im, but it was only the leg, and I saw in the news that day that someone else got murdered, so can I go now?'. Not really going to work is it?

andyharding

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'd argue the hell out of it just for principle. If everyone did it so much time would be wasted they'd go back to proper policing.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Moorron

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
You wont get anywhere with the arguement that a faster driver got away with it even if the police officer admitted it.

BUT, you could use it to show how the police officer ignored quidelines an how to use a radar gun. It clearly shows that the divice should only be used where no other vehicle could effect the readings. Now the police officer has admitted there was one there you have a good chance to fight it.

However! that is all good, but we all know that the law doesnt give a flying bird and the facts will get ignored anyway. so i say take it on the chin but reclaim the £60 from someone else (if your payed a salary scive a day off and convince yourself you are owed it).

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

richard thomas

posted on 4/7/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
How absolutely absurd. You got caught fair and square and now you're complaining and trying to drag others down with you. If other peoples speeding bothers you then join your local road safety team.
Just swallow it up man. After all in your own words..

quote:

Can't argue with it really..

So don't!

Absurd? Not really....

Trying to drag others down? Not quoting other peoples numberplates here, and the police won't have it anyway.....

What is absurd is the fact that they admitted they saw a car overtake me, yet did not clock it, nor bother to warn that driver. Good for him. Which leads me to believe that they were not that interested in the road safety element, more the easy fine in the coffers element.

I am the first to tut and shake my head when some loon comes screaming through the housing estate.....which is a little different case to 'making progress' on a quiet stretch of road in excellent conditions where other traffic carries similar speed......

I wasn't in the Luego, by the way - it was a hire car....sorry, didn't mean to mislead.

Not looking to whinge and cry - got caught fair and square. What i was looking for was some advice as to whether there might be a technicality i could successfully argue the case with, or if anyone knew of a similar case.

It was a hand held speedgun, by the way. They were in a fully marked up BMW sat up a slip road.....very pleasant manner though, and loads of legroom in the back....

[Edited on 4/7/08 by richard thomas]

BenB

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The answer to not getting done for speeding is easy

It could have been worse!!! 3 points and 60 quid isn't that bad.....
The mis-reading speedo trick wouldn't work. In the eyes of the law you're breaking the law- end of discussion.
Don't worry about the other person, if you were doing 90 and he's overtaking no doubt he'll be wrapped around a lamp-post soon (hopefully without another car inbetween)..... I'm all for the speed limit being raised to a more realistic 80 but above that things get dangerous when lorries are limited to 60...

contaminated

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've only actually been "done" for speeding once. It was 1am on a very straight piece of road with a slight bend in the middle behind which they hid. No houses around for miles, but there was a 30 mph limit.

I got pulled, and while being written a ticket another car came screaming down the hill. Copper held up his hand to stop it and they just drove round him! Police didn't even bother to get registration and I clearly heard one saying "oh well, you can't get them all".

Two weeks later the speed limit on that road was changed to 40 mph!!

turbodisplay

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
If speeding is so dangerous why do i see police cars doing 100 - 120 +. If speeding is so dangerous regarless of the trained police officer behind the wheel they should be limited to 100.
The reality is that it is the road conditions that determine how fast is safe . No one should do 70 on snowy roads yet you are unlikely to get prosecuted on a motorway as it would be dificult to prove in court.
We are humans that are able to make informed decisions about safe driving, NOT ROBOTS.

What distance did you get done at, front/rear? Lasers do often get other cars speed especially at distance.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 4/7/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Didn't realise they had sheriffs in Wales. Sounds so much cooler than ours

Scotland, not wales
quote:
Got pulled on the M74 just south of Glasgow

also bare in mind that the police guidelines, acceptable evidence and 'level of proof' are all a little different up here - can't remember the details off the top of my head though.....

[Edited on 4/7/08 by mcerd1]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.