Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle Body Balancing
omega0684

posted on 5/7/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle Body Balancing

does anyone now where i can get some good throttle body balancing equipment? i did a quick search and came up with this but unsure whether it would be any good?

linky

all advise welcome,

or has anyone got one that i can borrow for a couple of days

cheers

Alex

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 5/7/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Morgantune balancers are excellent an not too dear. They work with bike TBs I think.

link

Stu

[Edited on 5/7/08 by whitestu]

Fatgadget

posted on 5/7/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just use your lug hole and a bit of hose pipe!
rusty nuts

posted on 5/7/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I used a single vacuum gauge (because I had one) when I balanced my T/Bs just transfered it to each T/B in turn and tweaked as needed. Bit of hose and lughole work just as well with a bit of patience. Just take your time and recheck after every adjustment.
clairetoo

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I thought I'd got mine fairly close with the bit of pipe/ear'ole trick , then I managed to borrow a synchrometer - and found they were a mile out
The improvement is worth the work - theiving tweeks and burton do them if you cant borrow one .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

martyn_16v

posted on 5/7/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on making my own, should be fairly locost.

1 plank of wood, need to work out the length (depends how many mm of water the engine vacuum is likely to pull) but probably 4ft or so. Stand it upright and p-clip some clear tubing down the length, 180 bend at the bottom and then back up again. Attach some vacuum hose to one end of the tubing. At the other end of the vacuum hose you need some thing to give you a seal against a trumpet, I was thinking of a dogs rubber ball with a hole drilled through it, and the vac hose glued in with a bit of silicon. Will need a second bypass hole as well to let some air into the engine while you're using it.

Half fill the clear tubing with a bit of water (and food colouring to make it easier to read), not too much in otherwise the engine might suck it up. Stick the ball on a trumpet and mark on the board where the fluid gets moved to. Some experimentation with the bypass hole in the dogs ball may be in order, too small and the fluid will be sucked up, to big and you won't pull much vacuum in the 'gauge'. Repeat on all four cylinders

This is where someone tells me I've missed something really obvious which means it won't work

[Edited on 5/7/08 by martyn_16v]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/7/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a flow-meter similar to this thing:

It's stuffed up the orifice of each carb in turn, starting from the one that's got the throttle cable attached.

When I first ran the engine with the bike carbs I set it up with a length of hose. When I finally tweaked them with this gizmo I found that I wasn't too far wrong - better with the flow-meter, but not too shabby before.

[Edited on 5/7/08 by David Jenkins]

britishtrident

posted on 5/7/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I thought I'd got mine fairly close with the bit of pipe/ear'ole trick , then I managed to borrow a synchrometer - and found they were a mile out
The improvement is worth the work - theiving tweeks and burton do them if you cant borrow one .

The trick is hold the hose in exactly the same relative position for each inlet.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

clairetoo

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

The trick is hold the hose in exactly the same relative position for each inlet.

I did that - but the problem I found is that the butterflies are so close to being closed a tickover , there was very little difference in sound .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

omega0684

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone got a carbtune pro, they look like a good bit of kit after reading the website

well, ive just ordered one, so well see what its like when it comes

[Edited on 5/7/08 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.