Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: muscles
graememk

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
muscles

i need to increase my arm strength asap.

whats the best way high weight and how many reps or low weight and more reps?

or should i resort to google ?

i have a barbell and weights in 5, 10 and 20kgs

[Edited on 12/7/08 by graememk]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
you need a superman suit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Miks15

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally say fairly high weight, about 3 sets of 8 reps, and set the weight so u can barely, if at all, do the last couple of reps.

Dont forget to have rest days for your muscle to grow, make sure you get plenty of protein in your diet aswell. and try to vary your workouts so your muscle dont get used to the routine.

Mikkel

graememk

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
thank you Miks15 thats pritty much what i had in mind, should i have a rest day ?

sprouts-car

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert so anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

But you want high weight low reps.
Something like 3 groups of ten or so reps. With the weight high enough so the last couple in each group are almost impossible.

Chris

donut

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i need to increase my arm strength asap.

Erm.... why?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
yes u shud def have a rest day! one of the most important things in a good workout.

This is the time where your muscles acutally rebuild them selfs stronger.
Also dont neglect your others muscles, a good workout should work all muscle groups, working your legs will actually help to increase arm strength and fat burning capabilties.

Dont forget to warm up either.

Mikkel

StevieB

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
This is complicated, and will leave you feeling the pain for a while, but very effective:

Figure out your one rep max - the max weight you can lift just once and can't complete a secon rep.

Then do:

12 reps at 60%
6 reos at 70%
3 reps at 80%
3 reps at 80%
6 reps at 70%
12 reps at 60%

f you have the weights set right, and do the execrise properly, you should really struggle to complete the last 12 reps. It's the weirdest feeling as the weight doesn't feel heavy, but you just can't shift it.

This is a basic but effective method of strength training that's used by England Rugb, Royal Marines etc.

Miks15

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
ye that method if effective StevieB but the only problem with that is having to change your weights each time, can take quite along time with free weights and get annoying. So best with machine that one really. Or a lot of different dumbbells

graememk

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
donut.....i really struggled with my physical today.... barly passed.

[Edited on 12/7/08 by graememk]

marcyboy

posted on 12/7/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
just grip it tighter
Peteff

posted on 12/7/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Change your job Go rowing or something or take up blacksmithing, saw some wood up or do something constructive with your time. Build a wall out of concrete blocks. Learn to plaster, that will make your arms ache and your legs when you do the low down bits and you'll have another string to your bow. Window cleaning is good for a workout carrying ladders and buckets of water. Clip the neighbourhood hedges with a pair of manual clippers, very constructive and they'll all like you, get a push mower instead of a motor, well you get my drift. Muscles look good but if you're not doing anything with them they are just for show

[Edited on 12/7/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

eccsmk

posted on 12/7/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
i used this site when i was going to the gym found it very useful

although you'd never tell i used to go

OX

posted on 12/7/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
as miks15 has said but i started off with 3 sets of 6 reps ,,just to seemed to go up the weight faster and then went to 7 reps a few months down the line ..one thing id add tho is make sure you do the exercise properly,,,no point in swinging your back ,,you could do with some one to spot the last few on the last set as those are the ones that really matter

lol pete ,,im a plasterer and the only problem with it is it only works one arm and its more shoulder work,than anything ,,legs get a little work out tho when im working a few floors up and carrying two 25kg bags on my shoulder and another in my hand

[Edited on 12/7/08 by OX]

omega0684

posted on 13/7/08 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
i there graeme,

ive met you and for those on the forum that havent graeme is already a fairly largish chap. my question to you graeme is: are you sure that you want to build new muscle or tone the muscle you already have into stronger tougher muscle to increase core muscle strength.

i believe that you should be concentrating on the latter of my question. you say you barely passed you physical at work but you were very vague in this statement! did a lack of physical strength let you down or a cardiovascular weakness? eating a shed load of protein in your diet doesn't necessarily bulk you up! your body will only absorb what it needs to repair a damaged muscle (or replace it) but then reinforces itself by taking on extra nutrients to produce stronger muscle fibres in the tissue. THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE A REST DAY.

When you work out and tear tissue you need to give the muscle time to repair, muscle repair protein suplements are particularly good at this point-ESPECIALLY ONES WITH HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF L-GLUTAMINE. L-Glutamine is an essential amino acid in muscle regeneration that stops the muscle from using its own nutrient supply to repair itself and maximises the absorbtion of new nutrients from the blood stream into the tissue.

all of the advise that the guys have given you so far is for building muscle, but like i said i dont think that you need more muscle its simply a case and strengthing the muscle fibres in your arms first! do you know what your body mass index figures are? % fat etc? these will give you a good indercation of where you need to start to get healthier and stronger,

here is my recommendation: (this is to tone and increase muscle strength)
first i would start with a medium weight( for you i would say about 15kgs) and do three sets of 12-15 reps of 3 or 4 different bicep/tricep exercises(curls etc). do this three times a day(they should take you no more than 5 minutes per exercise-do a set of reps,rest for 1 minute then do another set. so this is a maximum of 20 minutes) . do one day on, one day off for a couple of weeks and let us know how you get on.(if 15kg is too light bump it up a little)

one last thing, i would recommend taking a daily supplement of omega 3 also, its very good!!! ideally you should have a daily intake between 2000-3000mg of it every day. most people injest less than 1000mg!

hope this helps u2u me if you want more help

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 13/7/08 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Push ups?
eznfrank

posted on 13/7/08 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Push ups?

As simple as that ^^^, I'd agree. Most of the above methods will, over time build some big(ish) guns.

What is actually in the physical and does it neccesarily require strength or endurance. I imagine masses of pressups would be fit for purpose in this case, especially if as above you're a big chap as you're using your own weight. Less chance of injury and takes no time at all to do.

big_wasa

posted on 13/7/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
physical for your job ?
Arthur

posted on 13/7/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
http://bodyweightculture.com/
thunderace

posted on 13/7/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
This is complicated, and will leave you feeling the pain for a while, but very effective:

Figure out your one rep max - the max weight you can lift just once and can't complete a secon rep.

Then do:

12 reps at 60%
6 reos at 70%
3 reps at 80%
3 reps at 80%
6 reps at 70%
12 reps at 60%

f you have the weights set right, and do the execrise properly, you should really struggle to complete the last 12 reps. It's the weirdest feeling as the weight doesn't feel heavy, but you just can't shift it.

This is a basic but effective method of strength training that's used by England Rugb, Royal Marines etc.

it is what you eat also i would have 4 eggs and two tins of tuna and some pills,amino acid tablets ,
they will turn you into popeye they are safe to take look them up on the net.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/amino.html

graememk

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
ok here what i had to do..

1, fast walk 25m pulling a hose, jog back. (50m)

2, pick up 2 more hose one in each hand carry them up and down the 25m course 4 times. (100m)

3, pick up a hose at chest hight, 25m then jog 25m 3 times. (100m)

4, pick up a pipe and a basket 25m 4 times. (100m)

5, jog 25m 4 times. (100m)

6,pick up and carry barbell 25m 4 times (100m)

and i have just under 6 mins.

i struggled with the jogging but it was the jogging holding weight at height that is still hurting me this morning

[Edited on 13/7/08 by graememk]

omega0684

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
that sounds like i fireman intense training drill!
big_wasa

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
just twigged couldnt understand why you need muscles to push a keyboard

[Edited on 13/7/08 by big_wasa]

eccsmk

posted on 13/7/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
maybe he wants to collect pc's on foot rather than driving??
or maybe he is preparing to help you lift your car off that stand

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.