Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting the noise down on an R1 :D
hobzy

posted on 4/8/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Getting the noise down on an R1 :D

Have come across and got hold of 2 identical R1 exhausts (the titanium 5jjj ones not the new space age looking ones). If I can get someone to make me up a suitably shaped Y piece that will join them to my current exhaust (replacing the current silencer), will it do anything particularly bad to the engine? I assume tuning wil be a bit out but as they cost me next to nowt thought it would be worth a try as I remember reading someone on here had twin silencers?

lsdweb

posted on 5/8/08 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Getting the noise down on an R1

Put a Pinto in it?

Sorry. Not at all helpful but you don't get a chance to say that often!

Wyn

r1_pete

posted on 5/8/08 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
It depends what you have on at the moment the 5jj silencer is restrictive and was designed to work in conjunction with the exup valve. Presumably you've removed the valve and tuned the motor for a straight through exhaust, fitting the restrictive silencers will effectively richen the mixture in the mid and top end. Probably not worth all the hassle and reduced performance.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a custom can made by these guys:-
http://www.sdwlightfabrications.co.uk/
£180

Its 6.5" dia, and 30" long, it sounds quieter than before, but will have a proper DB reading tomorrow at Doni. Watch this space

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, and if you want a Y piece, they will make you one for very little!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

marco

posted on 5/8/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
R1 cans on ZX9 and ZX14 still 101/102 DB so no good for trackdays... Tested on mine and my mates car. One carb and one fuel injection..

Hope this helps....

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, ta all

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I'll be interested to see.

Goodwood being my closest track means I would like to get to 98dB

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Just had a custom can made by these guys:-
http://www.sdwlightfabrications.co.uk/
£180

Its 6.5" dia, and 30" long, it sounds quieter than before, but will have a proper DB reading tomorrow at Doni. Watch this space

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
How much reduced performance? I am assuming any slincer that gets it down to less than 98 is going to be restrictive? Or am I being thick? (new to all this so bare with me )

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
It depends what you have on at the moment the 5jj silencer is restrictive and was designed to work in conjunction with the exup valve. Presumably you've removed the valve and tuned the motor for a straight through exhaust, fitting the restrictive silencers will effectively richen the mixture in the mid and top end. Probably not worth all the hassle and reduced performance.

MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I said i wanted 98db, and they said they have done cans for bigger engines and got them down that low, so fingers crossed. any how they said if its not quiet enough, bring it back and they will tweek it!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ah well one has arrived Looks like I'll end up flogging them off if they are going to be no use.

Might chop one up as the externals are a nice finish - make it into a repackable silencer???

MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
jpin the 2 together to make a longer one??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
They/it has/ve come with a compound angled stainless section that I am loath to cut until I know they will be any use. How much was your custom one if you dont mind me asking? Then I know whether its worth a play or I'm better off ebaying them both and getting a custom one done.

MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
£180

I let you know the DB on thursday

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hobzy

posted on 5/8/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ta. Good luck! The two cans stand me in for £50, so might be worth a laugh to fettle one... just means no beer for a fortnight (do me stomeach the world of good

MK9R

posted on 5/8/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a spare R1 can as well. Bought it and never fitted it as i assumed it was a waste of time. Will keep it for racing next year as noise regs aren't so tight and i don'r care if it gets damaged.

How about connecting the 2 together with a pit of flexi pipe and seeing how much difference it makes. The small muffler i bought from Merlin got mine down by 4DB, but looked shit!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Kriss

posted on 5/8/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any off the shelf low db cans that will fit a normal BEC manifold?

My Carbon Micron is just silly loud and pops, flames bangs and fizzes too much for track!

MK9R

posted on 7/8/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
No problem with zorst noise (no static test), but induction caused me to get kicked off, 99.7 DB constantly. The noise guy said it was defo the induction as it was so constanstant. I'm off to post a question on airboxes now.

Will have a static at comb at the end of the month so will post the result ablut the exhaust then, but i'm confident its below 98DB at 3/4

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hobzy

posted on 7/8/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one. I have a sausage filter - maybe an airbox is the way to go as well.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 10/8/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
When I had the same problem, I was repeatedly told that it was the diameter of the outer pipe which gets the noise down rather than two, or a long one.
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 10/8/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have also recently posted all I learned about air boxes!
MK9R

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Just to let you know, at 6500rpm static test at castle combe on friday it was only 91DB!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

trottski

posted on 1/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Just to let you know, at 6500rpm static test at castle combe on friday it was only 91DB!!!!

That's good. Did they test you at 6.5K because it's a bike engine? The site mentions 4.5K. I'm assuming you didn't have any noise problems at Castle Combe at all after the static test.

Is this your new silencer? http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=scoopz_com_l7_red_19_crop.JPG

MK9R

posted on 1/9/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
its abike engine and 3/4 revs is 7500, but he wasn't looking so only went to 6500

No, thats my old noisey can, i'll try and get some pics up. Unfortunetly i have scraped and dented the underside of it as its so low to the ground, but hey, it does its job

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.