Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: creating a new Mid-engined website and forum
violentblue

posted on 22/12/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
creating a new Mid-engined website and forum

is anyone interested in establishing a website and forum dedicated specifically to Mid engined homebuilt cars?

I have access to a server to do this, forums are simple as they are presetup software.
Website content would need a little more help from the community out there, tech articles, features and the such.

there would be place for build diaries and such for people who don't have websites already.

considering the homebuilt community is so small web traffic wouldn't be huge, so only cost would be domain registration.

Thoughts?
if there is enough interest I could have the forums and basic site up within days if not hours.

[Edited on 22/12/03 by violentblue]

a few pics of my other projects

Alan B

posted on 22/12/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm certainly in favo(u)r in principle and would support it.

However, my concern would be in diluting what we have here...I would visit both. but I'd be concerned about losing potential input and feedback to one or the other..

Just my 2 cents (pence)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 22/12/03 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Alan 100%. "Oh Yeah, what he said..."

I am currently posting/monitoring on 7 boards and it gets time consuming when you type/think as slow as I do!

'course, I have nuttin better to do.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
violentblue

posted on 22/12/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
are there a lot of other mid engined forums out there?

well the question would be , is there enough interest to justify laying out the cash for domain registry, otherwise I could always set it up without the .com and use my existing .com adress (www.sandstuning.com)

Alan B

posted on 22/12/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I'm aware of.....

Some are donor specific or kit specific, but this is the premier home built middy place that I know of.

So far...........

JoelP

posted on 23/12/03 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
in my opinion, forums are more useful if they have more people on them, assuming there are no tossers on them, which there arent here! So, unless there is a real need for another forum, or unless you know you can make a really busy one, there maybe isnt much point. Good luck if you do do it though!

edit: i might add im not building a middy and i dont know of any other forums for middies...!

[Edited on 23/12/03 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

violentblue

posted on 23/12/03 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of creating a centralised source of information one the self built mid engined car.
the locost bords and resources are very helpfull but hardly specific to what we're trying to do.

so a forum and website for discussion/ tech articles and features, much like any other brand/type automotive website.

I don't want another "ME TOO" website but there dosn't seem to be anything else out there.

So I guess I'll just build the site and forum, and if it works great, if not It'll get canned a couple months down the line.

I'll look into getting it setup over christmas.

I'd be interested in having a couple tech articles done up for the kick off.
pm, or email me if you are interested in helping

Alan B

posted on 23/12/03 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, as I said earlier, I'm interested in getting involved...keep me in informed and I'll see what I can do to help...

I can see a bunch of articles being useful....proven solutions to common problems.......junkyard finds......parts and sourcing......tech and theory articles....

Yeah could be good as a supplement to here...let's see how it goes..

giel

posted on 24/12/03 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
let me know if you go ahead with another forum, I'm building an audi-based middy too.

Giel

Hugh Paterson

posted on 24/12/03 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Mid engined forum

Steve and I will Lurk in the corner if u start your site and may be able to give u a few bits of tech help, however I have to
say the previous comments are spot on, with the exception of a couple of mid engine self build diaries (we all know who they are gents), this forum is about as good as they get, some very gifted people (and nutters) on here
Shug.

tadltd

posted on 24/12/03 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I will lurk in the opposite corner, if you don't mind, Shug....

Steve.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 25/12/03 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Opposite corners

Steve
Ok if u think I have BO just come out and say it and I will get someone to buy me soap on a rope and smelly in the sales, bound to get a cheap deal
Merry Xmas one and all
Shug.

internetautomart

posted on 25/12/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
is anyone interested in establishing a website and forum dedicated specifically to Mid engined homebuilt cars?

I have access to a server to do this, forums are simple as they are presetup software.
Website content would need a little more help from the community out there, tech articles, features and the such.

there would be place for build diaries and such for people who don't have websites already.

considering the homebuilt community is so small web traffic wouldn't be huge, so only cost would be domain registration.

Thoughts?
if there is enough interest I could have the forums and basic site up within days if not hours.

[Edited on 22/12/03 by violentblue]

Personally I like the idea.
Would it be US or UK based?
I am willing to assist in moderating the board as well.

[Edited on 25/12/03 by internetautomart]

Let me know if you need parts in the US

violentblue

posted on 26/12/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
actually I'm based in canada

untill its established content will be the biggest concern, moderators are easy to come by

internetautomart

posted on 26/12/03 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Eh close enough.
Good content is very hard to come by. but there are several members here with good basics to start with.
If they are willing to let you use their info

Spottty

posted on 27/12/03 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think it would be a great idea.

This place is great but a site with articles and tech stuff would be cool too!

Ohh and what part of Canada are you in? I am guessing Ontario, everybody cool is in the East (I am in Alberta).

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

violentblue

posted on 27/12/03 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm actually in Lethbridge Alberta

Spottty

posted on 27/12/03 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
I'm actually in Lethbridge Alberta

Sent ya a U2U!

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

internetautomart

posted on 31/12/03 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://internetautomart.com/forums/
I haven't assigned it a topic yet.
So I can easily make it a midengine forum if people are interested.

bob

posted on 31/12/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you try speaking with chrisw the owner of this site,he can always change the mid engine section to whats needed.

I made the mistake of thinking we needed an MK owners forum,but i have my doubts now.

just my tupence worth,happy new year

Alan B

posted on 31/12/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bob, I think that was the point I was trying to make earlier.......this is pretty much what we want here, however I will support any efforts along the lines suggested......then just see how it goes....

I'm certainley not leaving here though..

kingr

posted on 1/1/04 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just have a site to support this forum then? There doesn't seem much point in duplicating what already exists. I could imagine a resource with useful files, links and articles would be very well received.

Kingr

Rorty

posted on 2/1/04 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with kingr. What's lacking here is a good technical archive. If anything, just build a compilation of articles, photos, links etc to supliment this forum.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

MikeR

posted on 2/1/04 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
So why doesn't someone create a Yahoogroups site? every week or two someone could post a "find us all at the locostbuilders web site" and we'd get lots of storage space, somewhere for pictures, polls etc etc etc

Suppose if someone wanted to moderate it we could make it members only to post so we don't get spammed.

Just a thought, oh, happy new year

bob

posted on 2/1/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone given chrisW a call yet re more space or archives for mid engine section.

I will see him sunday at box hill,i'll give him a nudge

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.