Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Very Tall Driver wanting a 7....lots of advise needed please!
Suicidle Pigeon

posted on 9/8/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Very Tall Driver wanting a 7....lots of advise needed please!

Hi,

I have been mulling around the forums for a while now and various other forums...

I was looking at a Robin Hood because I LOVE the polished aluminium body and don't see many other 7's like this....

But after much looking around I haven't really found too much positiveness regarding these as apprently 80% are RH's are poorly built. Which is a shame as I live 10 minutes away from the factory which would have meant getting parts would have been a breeze!!

Anyway since about Feb this year I have been considering a kit car with the want for one growing more by the month.

The trouble is I am 6ft6 maybe 6ft7 so I need something that can accomodate my height with me fitting in comfortably and not getting my head knocked off by the wind.

I am aware of wide body kits which are availible but these seem to be few and far between and at a premium in price.

I am looking for a car around 4k I think to buy early next year when I have saved the money and I want something that is quick with a 0-60 of less than 7 seconds preferably.

I live in the countryside so you know this will be good fun to go around all the B roads around here so good cornering is a must too.

What will insurance be like also, I am only 20 and will be running my main car so I will have no no claims to use on the policy.

What are my best options?

I'm sure i'll have more questions when I can think of them!

Regards,

Granty

Smile....tomorrow will be worse

matt.c

posted on 9/8/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
With a budget of 4k, a robin hood will probably suit you down to the ground. They are rather large and you will fit in it quite well.

On the other hand you could go nuts and get bike engine powered rocket car like the MK/MNR/MAC1 etc but this will cost you a bit more. They all have plenty of room.

Edit: I started with wanting a robin hood but then i found Bike engined cars (BEC)
Even a robin hood with a tuned pinto will give you around 160bhp and under 7sec 60 times. Have a go in a BEC.

[Edited on 9/8/08 by matt.c]

speedyxjs

posted on 9/8/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Build your own? You could make it as long as you want then
Welcome to the madhouse btw

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RichardK

posted on 9/8/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you try building your own? I'm building a McSorely +442 which is 4 inches longer and 4 inches wider.

This is because I'm taller and wider than a normal person. Those who know me know me know I've never been normal!!

I have a mate who is building a Tiger Avon and I would find it too snug.

My advice is build your own if you can, if you want to build a kit go and see as many manuafactures MNR & MK etc as possible and have a sit in their cars and then come back here to ask if anyone would be kind enough to take you out for a ride.

4k would be tight to do a kit well but could be done in sections if some more funds could be found later. You can easily make your own for 4K.

Cheers

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/8/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
VIENTO, Its huge but not cheap, im 6'5" and with no seats in mine i cant reach the pedals

Tommy

fesycresy

posted on 9/8/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Remember you could always run with seat squabs, like the Strikers and some Dax's.

Always felt more comfortable in mine with no seat. You feel 'in' the car.

I'm 6'5" and needed a bit more width because I've big plums

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

piddy

posted on 9/8/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a Robin Hood. It will suit your budget. You will have to look around there are some well built ones out there if you look for them.
tjoh84

posted on 9/8/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
where you from because i just got back from the peterborough kit car show they had loads there to sit in and see if you fit prob a good idea to go to a show and try some there

other shows

Suicidle Pigeon

posted on 9/8/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm willing to stretch a little maybe but not too much, dont forget its a second car and I'm only 20!!

As for BEC car....sounds all fun....but hear they're a handful on the road....and being only 20 i'm not as experienced!

I'd love to build a kit, its just where. We have a garage but its got two motorbikes in and the washing machine so not big enough by a long way.

My car will be stored on the drive under cover so obviously going second hand prebuilt is obviously the way for me to go.

I was going to go to Newark kit show this year not being far from me but had a lot on.

I'd rather get an early Westy than a Newe Robin Hood if its worth going that route.

Any more opinions?

twybrow

posted on 9/8/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6" 6", with size 12 feet. I am building a Stuart Taylor. It is loosely the same dimensions as a standard book build. I find the length is good, it is the foot space that becomes an issue. One of the best I found was the Raw Striker (expensive but good). The Tiger Avon with floor mounted pedals had plenty of room. I suggest get yourself to a show, or meet, and try a few out for size. Whatever you get, if you are building it there are always ways of making space....

Suicidle Pigeon

posted on 9/8/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C52293

This seems pretty good! Not that I can buy it yet but should I be looking in that range?!

ReMan

posted on 9/8/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
MK has a good size footwell, it was important to me as I couldnt drive a Caterham on a Red letter day without being vbare foot, so it was something I watched for when choosing my build and I'm only size 9/10
ragindave

posted on 9/8/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
You would fit in a Mev Rocket

You would fit in a Mev Rocket
Worth some consideration

Mansfield

posted on 9/8/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a show and sit in a few - it may help your decision.

I was gutted to find a normal 7 was too tight for me, the Robin Hood is much larger and comfortable.

I haven't sat in one but the Viento is the one to have if you can afford it IMHO. They look like right beasts as well!

Donnington show is next I think, not far from you and well worth a look.

focijohn

posted on 9/8/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6ft 2/3 and i fitted nicely in the striker . Dont know how or y but i did, and its 20 minutes down the road....

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

LBMEFM

posted on 10/8/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I am 6'6" with very long legs I have sat in a Viento, had a Robin Hood and all have had sufficient room. Currently building a MK Indy, again plenty of room. Go to a show and explain your problem they will be more than happy to let you sit in them.
Barry

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.