Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V-Twin BEC?
AR-CoolC

posted on 11/8/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
V-Twin BEC?

Has anyone built a BEC using a big V twin? something like the Ducati (probably the best sounding bike out there)

They are renown for having more bottom end torque than the high revving 4 pots, so though it would suit a car more. Is that right or am I just being dumb?

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

r1_pete

posted on 11/8/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ducati's are very high maintenance, belts at 6K, clutch baskets wear and rattle like a can of marbles, probably not the best choice for a BEC.

If you want torque, Triumph Rocket 3, 2.3L three cyl, shaft drive, when my MG is done I'm seriously thinking about it.

[Edited on 11/8/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 11/8/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently building an STM locoblade using an Aprilia V990 out of an RSV Mille. It's bit of a tight squeeze so I don't know if you'd get a 90deg twin in.
StevieB

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Similarly a TL1000 engine would probably also suit (and probably last longer being a Jap engine and all that)
stevebubs

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
BenB has one....
graememk

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
what about a pan euro engine ?

simoto

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
A vfr800i v4 is the way forward, incredibly small and impossibly trick with fuel injection, gear driven cams and a beaut flat line of torque all the way through.
Truly hair tingling noise when allowed to breathe too. Remember hizzy and joey over the mountain. Awesome, do it!

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

BenB

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a V4 (ST1100). STM did a V-twin BEC before they first mooted the ST1100 installation. Can't remember the engine used but it seemed to keep up reasonably in the RGB race series. Wasn't at the front though....
simoto

posted on 11/8/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cool! Bet that sounds lovely on full chat. Short shift city dude, im jelous

robertwa

posted on 11/8/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this:

Taken from this website:
http://www.kineticvehicles.com/whippet.html

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/8/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I've got a V4 (ST1100). STM did a V-twin BEC before they first mooted the ST1100 installation. Can't remember the engine used but it seemed to keep up reasonably in the RGB race series. Wasn't at the front though....

The Honda SP1 was the one they used from memory.

Ivan

posted on 12/8/08 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
The reason BEC cars are so quick is to do with work rate - ie horse power and high revs - and not torque. The same applies to F1 cars.

So a high torque low (relatively) reving BEC is in many ways counter productive - you might as well go CEC.

procomp

posted on 12/8/08 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
HI As Ivan ^^ says above. And was proved by the STM V twin in the RGB championship. The car was just too slow with no real GO in it. where as the same car with a conventional bec setup was a race winner.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 12/8/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Well it works for me
100Bhp at the wheels in a car weighing 540kg (with me in it) and a nice flat power band and a 8.5k red line works very nicely.....
It's got usable power low-down for pootling round the North Circular but plenty of gusto for when the road opens up....
To be honest I'd like another 1k on the red-line (apparantly very do-able: STM ran their ST1100 with a "tuned" ECU which was in fact just an ECU of a Honda bike with a higher redline).... Once I've finalised the Emerald installation I'll be seeing just how high a ST can rev without blowing.... though I'll probably bottle it before reaching 10k!!

BenB

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
HI As Ivan ^^ says above. And was proved by the STM V twin in the RGB championship. The car was just too slow with no real GO in it. where as the same car with a conventional bec setup was a race winner.

Cheers Matt

Without wanting to dis the driver was it definately the car? It would have been interesting to see what happened if a driver from the front of the field drove the V-twin. Wasn't the driver a rookie? If I drove a ZZR1400 car I'd make it look slow The main thing I didn't like about it was the noise it made

simoto

posted on 12/8/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
You would have big drive advantage coming off corners too. Also would be difficult for a novice to take full advantage of.
Gear driven valvetrain, 8500 rpm cec?
Yeah right. The vfr800i i mooted will rev a lot higher too. Huge reliability as standard too!
I bet the other big three jap manufacturers couldnt make the engine today, never mind 20 yrs ago.

Jason Fletcher

posted on 12/8/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
not convinced about a V twin but the new Honda 1000cc V5 might be very very cool

Jason

procomp

posted on 12/8/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

quote:

Without wanting to dis the driver was it definately the car? It would have been interesting to see what happened if a driver from the front of the field drove the V-twin. Wasn't the driver a rookie? If I drove a ZZR1400 car I'd make it look slow The main thing I didn't like about it was the noise it made

All the original testing was done by Martin Tim and Ian.

Cheers Matt

paul the 6th

posted on 12/8/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a suzuki sv650 sport - 650cc v-twin - I'm never going back to IL4 (with bikes anyway)

But I've often wondered about using a v-twin but was never sure how difficult/useable it would be

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
froggy

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
i run a tl1000 powered car but its mid mounted and chain driven ,mine is 460kg and the performance is around the same as an early blade engined bec. lack of revs is the problem and lack of outright power to pull sensible road gearing but i use a shot of nitrous to bring the power up to 180 from the stock tl,s 120ish hp. oil starvation could be an issue if it was prop driven but ive caned mine to death for two years and have had no issues other then wearing chains out every six months or so. they are cheap though i have a few spare engines and a package with loom ecu etc is usually around the £500 mark

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.