Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing gas fire - corgi or not??
NS Dev

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Removing gas fire - corgi or not??

Really a general question:

Does one HAVE (legally) to be CORGI registered to do work on one's own house such as turn off the supply valve screw and remove a gas fire??????

My understanding (possibly incorrect) is that a "competent person" is required, and that is usually taken to be CORGI registered, but I could do this myself, as long as if all went wrong, i could prove my competence in court???????

is this right??

I really cannot bear the thought of paying the £50 I have been quoted for the two minute job of turning a valve off and removing a pipe.

Legalities are beggining to really bug me now. I have had to go to the lengths of getting old colours cable for some recent wiring jobs.

I was also quoted £225 to replace the combustion air fan on my combi boiler, when I managed to get a replacement (recon, the motor bearings are the only bits that fail anyway) for £40 exchange and fit it in 15 minutes.

Again, no doubt dodgy legally, but I will not be taken for a ride by nanny state any more than I already am by living in this country!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

joneh

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but if someone then dies of carbon monoxide poisoning etc, due to your work, then you're liable.

But as you say, its all legal crap.

coozer

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
As you say its a nanny state requirement. I would turn it off and disconnect it myself. Putting in a new one you just need to check there no leaks with a Corgi man.. not have a mate yuo is Corgi??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, I expect to be liable, that's fine.

Its a disconnection, if I were re-connecting then I'd rather get it checked for peace of mind.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

tegwin

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself man!

I would be tempted to pop a "blank end" into the valve so if the valve leaks the gas cant go anywhere.....just incase...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
As you say its a nanny state requirement. I would turn it off and disconnect it myself. Putting in a new one you just need to check there no leaks with a Corgi man.. not have a mate yuo is Corgi??

Unfortunately not!! Used to where I used to work, but huge profit margins drove him down south!!

Somebody mentioned house insurance, which makes me even more angry.......how stupid do the proprietors of this crap think we are............how does my insurance company, who have never seen my house, and don't know what fires I do and don't have, know if I have disconnected one!!

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Do it yourself man!

I would be tempted to pop a "blank end" into the valve so if the valve leaks the gas cant go anywhere.....just incase...

Will do, any ideas where I can get one/what thread they are?? I thought 1/8 bsp but the fitting has BA on it so not so sure!

[Edited on 12/8/08 by NS Dev]

Dickyboy

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Talking to a plumber friend he won't go near gas once his Corgi ticket has expired, that is anything remotely near gas and even if he is working with a Corgi engineer he is not insured. What brasses me off is the sometime crap work done by the "qualified" people. Barring any misfortunes the only time it is a problem is when you sell, any recent work will have to have a "ticket" from a Corgi man

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dickyboy
Talking to a plumber friend he won't go near gas once his Corgi ticket has expired, that is anything remotely near gas and even if he is working with a Corgi engineer he is not insured. What brasses me off is the sometime crap work done by the "qualified" people. Barring any misfortunes the only time it is a problem is when you sell, any recent work will have to have a "ticket" from a Corgi man

Yep:

1) If I were working on other people's houses I would not even think about a gas job without the certificate, just not worth the risk, as you say, you could be stung by something left by somebody previous, and if doing it for a living you just don't have time to check all the existing installation in detail

2) How do they know what is "recent installation"............. as far as i'm concerned the house never had a gas fire, was always a wood burner as far as I know

will121

posted on 12/8/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
i believe legally you are required to be 'competant' and Corgi training and registration is a demonstration of 'competancy' which as long as you complied with you training would be defence in court, however if you could demonstrate that if all went wrong by not blanking it of properly that as a non Corgi operative you isolated the supply, and plugged with sutable materials and proved gas tightness afterwards you be more than half way there! Would i do it rather than pay some one else
MikeR

posted on 12/8/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
i thought you could do what ever you wanted as long as someone with a corgi certification checked it afterwards and said it was ok.

Why not get someone in to check it and give your boiler a 'service' aka hoover out. At least you're getting more for your money.

MkIndy7

posted on 12/8/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
As said, remove it yourself.

Turn the gas off at the meter,
Attempt to light the fire, (should get rid of any gas thats left).

Take the top off the restrictor elbow and screw it all the way to the bottom,
Replace the elbow cap,
remove the pipe and the fire
fit a suitable plug to the end of the elbow with Gas PTFE,

Then turn the meter back on and spray both the plug and the top of the restrictor elbow with gas leak detector fluid.

Thats how your average gas man would do it.

Peteff

posted on 12/8/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I took the fire out and blanked the pipe off in our front room and never even thought about it. I checked it with washing up liquid and it doesn't leak but my wife has an ultra sensitive gas detector nose and she can't smell anything so it must be o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 12/8/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
As I understand it you need corgi registration to fit a gas appliance not to remove one so as long as you take adequate steps turning off the local supply and capping and checking for leakage as Pete saysI think your worrying over nothing.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 12/8/08 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Neil P

posted on 13/8/08 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
You can do your own as long as you are competent. CORGI registration is for those people who are offering gas services commercially.

Neil

posted on 13/8/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I checked it with washing up liquid and it doesn't leak but my wife has an ultra sensitive gas detector nose and she can't smell anything so it must be o.k.

Any chance of "borrowing" your wife Pete? (Tea and biscuits available)

I've just fitted an LPG fire in my lounge.

Paul G

adam1985

posted on 13/8/08 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
you dont have to be corgi registered to do work on gas appliances or pipework BUT you must be competent and be able to prove so this doesnt mean can you solder or you can tighten a nut and olive correctly it means if you do blow your house up you can stand up in court and say yeah i cheaked this that and everything else basically to be able to prove your competent you still need to do all the training just not be corgi registered just like if you fitted your new fire could you say it is safe ? think about it is it worth risking your life and your families for £50 ring around you should be able to get it cheaper than that

also if you were competent in the ins and out off gas fitting then you should already know all of this

[Edited on 13/8/08 by adam1985]

Peteff

posted on 13/8/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907Any chance of "borrowing" your wife Pete? (Tea and biscuits available)

Paul G

She'll probably smell it from here Paul

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

posted on 13/8/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by 907Any chance of "borrowing" your wife Pete? (Tea and biscuits available)

Paul G

She'll probably smell it from here Paul

OK. I'll switch it on then. Let me know if she gets a whiff.

ATB
Paul G

Andy S

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
My main response to any question like this would be.

If you have to ask the questions then get someone else to do it.

However - You DO NOT have to be CORGI ( for the time being) registered to work on gas for yourself in your OWN home (and that is a dwelling that you do actually own)- But you do need to be competent. and that includes any work, removal, installations etc etc.

Which if you were competent you would already know therefore.........

Andrew

DarrenW

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Id have no worries taking it out yourself and capping the pipe off. Just get new one installed and certified by Corgi person.

If you arent fitting a new one then i guess making sure its fully sealed off is the way to go.

Ive done my own before. Needed to rip it out to replace fire place and get room skimmed. Just lit the fire as normal, turned gas off at the meter, waited for fire to go out. Recently though ive later had a new boiler or gas cooker point fitted in which case the corgi person did all related checks to ensure no leaks. What amazed me though was that there leak tests would show up minute issues that would be hard to detect at the fitting.

adam1985

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
yeah a test on the meter will detect a leak you might not see with detector spray thats why you always do both also lighting the fire then turning the gas off is a big no no
MkIndy7

posted on 13/8/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
yeah a test on the meter will detect a leak you might not see with detector spray thats why you always do both also lighting the fire then turning the gas off is a big no no

True.. but your more likely to have something to leak detect it with than you are a U guage, plus you might end up looking for a leak on the work you've just done when it already existed elsewhere!.

And why would lighting the fire and then turning the gas fire off be a "big no no"?
.... better take my Corgi off me then

adam1985

posted on 13/8/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
And why would lighting the fire and then turning the gas fire off be a "big no no"?

read the regs
and aint that the reason you do a tightness test before and after your work so you know what your dealing with in the first place

DarrenW

posted on 13/8/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985

read the regs
and aint that the reason you do a tightness test before and after your work so you know what your dealing with in the first place

And for those of us who cant read the regs would you care to eloborate please? Is it better to just turn the gas off at the mains, disconnect fire and leave residual gas to vent into the room? Im talking here about if you ned to cut the pipe back rather than just screw in the valve to remove then replace the fire.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.