Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snowboarding - where should I go?
ELO

posted on 14/8/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Snowboarding - where should I go?

Anyone here go snowboarding?
Looking to go the week before Christmas, can anyone recommend somewhere to go that early in the season?
I've had a few lessons at xcape in MK and so can stand up and just about manage myself on the slope!
Where have you been? Any good?
Thanks,
ed

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/8/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ELO
Anyone here go snowboarding?

Go abroad to the mountains - thats where i'd go!!

On a more serious note, i wouldnt trust the Alps / Pyrenese for snow before xmas myself

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/8/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been to
Austria awesome trip, not sure about snow though, they struggled last year i think
Bulgaria was awful, not snow and the hotel was a deathtrap

and the winner is Brekenridge in Colorado, its at 10000 feet so you're almost guaranteed snow plus its just an awesome place. Good restaurants and plenty of drinky places

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ravingfool

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6

Go abroad to the mountains - thats where i'd go!!

Seconded.

I have been to Austria and also Les Deux Alpes in France. As said before, snow wasn't great last year so risky going in Europe early in the season.

I hear Russia is an improving place to go for winter sports but can't give a personal recommendation.

twybrow

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Any European resort that is high and has a glacier will be ok. The cost of the States/Canada is high, so depends how much you want it! We have had awesome snow every year in France for the last 3 years, but it is a bit of a lottery. To stack the odds in your favour, you gotta spend lots of money!

I would reccomend Tignes/Val D'Isere, La Plagne & Les Duex Alpes.

russbost

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
"Snowboarding - where should I go?"

As far away from us skiers as posssible!!!

More seriously a lot of resorts won't open b4 Xmas unless snow conditions are exceptional cos they don't want the snow spoilt b4 their busy Xmas week! You need to go Alps rather than Pyrenees for reliable snow & you'll need to go high, Les Deux Alpes & Tignes both have summer skiing I believe so you ought to be ok with them, Val Thorens & the 3 valleys also spring to mind.
Take a look for advice on the ski club of GB website, it's helpful & informative.HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
elwood_106

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, my first post but have been lurking for a while (am considering getting an MNR RT in the very near future)

I can highly recommend Finland, specifically Ruka (slopes opened in October last year); it’s not too far from the Arctic Circle so is fairly snow sure, also get a chance of seeing the Northern lights, not as expensive as I first thought, never had to queue for the lifts but it is more of a fell than a mountain. It was excellent for the learners and the more experienced guys also had a lot of fun. The whole hill was flood lit so night skiing/riding is a must (if a little odd at first), there’s also a decent park if that’s your thing.

Hope that helps
Will

[Edited on 14/8/08 by elwood_106]

iank

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
The North Shore mountains of Vancouver - much cheaper to stay than Whistler, though that's available up the road if you want to try it. One of the best cities in the world for the evening and if the weather is bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_Mountains

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 14/8/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Quote: Snowboarding - where should I go?

Answer: Well away from real skiers!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Jubal

posted on 14/8/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a snowboarder but I've never been anywhere that time of year as my hols are too precious and I like to pretty much guarantee snow. Most years I go Feb and March in the alps, but I did Soldeu one year and it was alright once we fell in with the instructor crowd. Bit quiet otherwise. Off to the US this coming winter if the plans work out. First time over there with a board.

I'd strongly suggest getting instruction for the first few days if you've never done a real mountain before. Don't let your mates goad you into going to the top of the mountain on your first day!

Watch out for ignorant skiers, they often forget that if you're in front of them then you have the line. Pah!

[Edited on 14/8/08 by Jubal]

MikeR

posted on 14/8/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
another second for the "away from skiiers"

and another second for "ruka"

went their for new years two years ago and it was VERY snow sure.... Ok, lets rephrase this a little, its got the longest ski season in europe at around 240 days. They have snow machines "just in case". Its a bit like having a watering can in winter in Manchester.

Probably going back again this year (friends who are finnish).

Problems - well alcohol isn't cheap but you buy it and drink it at home and then when steaming go out (its the finnish way)

The place is small by comparison to a major european resort - which also means its quite good for learning.

Morning / evening / night skiing - something to behold (when its dark and floodlit). I've even got a picture of the moon rising at around dusk 3pm!

People are fantastic. Anyone under 35 will speak english better than you & will want to speak it.

Snowmobile riding - when you follow route "40" don't wait to the end to ask how many routes they have. "40" is the speed limit (i was hanging back on the rough stuff so i could 'catch up' on the lakes. Seems if i was caught doing 80+ kph i would have been in trouble.

errm ..... Airport is Kuusamo (or something like that) and only 30 minutes away with a regular shuttle bus.

Oh yeah - not forgetting Finnish girls are STUNNING! People often stop at my desk when they see the screen saver just to ask who the girls are

MikeR

posted on 14/8/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
ps i also snowboard very badly, you'll find being able to do it in this country is not the same as abroad, still take lessons when you get there. You'll appreciate it (and get to meet people of a similar skill level)
Daimo_45

posted on 14/8/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I been going every year for the last 20 years to mostly France but also Switzerland, Austria and Andorra. Why not go to France as it's just over the water? I was looking earlier at flights and it was £65 return in early Dec to Lyon and then a short coach journey to all the major resorts. Tigne and V'dsere are expensive, Deux Alpes is just CRAAAAAAAAAAP but Alpe d'Huez is sweeeeeeet!
MikeR

posted on 14/8/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
i think this all depends on how brave you want to be - if you do last minute you can find somewhere with snow and go.

but it means chancing everything!

I'm not that brave so tend to book in advance and plan where i'm going.

Apart from snowboarding what do you want to do? party? relax?

The Great Fandango

posted on 14/8/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Went for my first ever snowboarding holiday this February with SWMBO.

Went to the ski resort of 'Arinsal' in the principality of 'Andorra'. I had only had one three hour lesson back in England.

I can honestly say one of the best weeks of my life!

Arinsal is a small and incredibly compact town so no matter where you stay it's only about 5 minutes' walk to the gondolas.

Stayed in 5 star Diana Park, half board (breakfast and evening meal), week long lessons, slope pass, equipment hire and flights... all for the tidy sum of £550 per head! (some people we met there had spent £680 per head to go self catering in a grotty apartment).

The slopes were perfect for beginners and the lessons excellent.

Unlike skiing, your first ever full week of snowboarding sees you progress quite quickly. Arinsal has a more advanced resort of Pal just an 8 minute (free) cable car trip away. Very impressive indeed.

Plenty of night life, and being an independant principality there's no VAT. Prices for just about anything are rock bottom.

The only thing i'm not sure is the snow condition in December - you'd have to do some research.

[Edited on 14/8/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

the_fbi

posted on 14/8/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I can highly recommend Andorra too although I've no idea about the "snowy" seasons there.

I went there a few years ago, Pal iirc, it was amazingly cheap for everything, Andorra city centre itself is only 15 mins by cheap bus away and compares well to somewhere like Birmingham with some nice shopping areas and some not so nice areas.

Slopes themselves were fantastic with a great variety.

Andorra will be you're cheapest destination I have no doubt, and I'd happily go there again, so as long as its in snow at your time of year, I'd do it without hesitation.

Bitten hero

posted on 14/8/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
RUKA- RUKA -RUKA, stunning people cheap-ish amazing place. .been a few times. cannot be beaten unless you are very rich and then try norway(geilo)just the best apart from my wallet never recovered (but we did go three times).
also if you go to finland you got to do the long snowmobile tours artic circle-7 hrs wow including the mile wide frozen lake-no speed limit and 145kph is unforgetable and the russian front tour 9.5 hrs the best.food great . going back soon- and go over the xmas/new year as the new year celerbration in the town square is truly the best.. enjoy gary ps we was their two years ago for the two weeks over xmas/new year as mike was and the transfers really are only twenty-thirty mins not your normal lies the tour operators tell you.
also we went ice karting what a laugh and we was on the ice with kovainlinen(my spelling-dodgy) and his friends!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 14/8/08 by Bitten hero]

ELO

posted on 14/8/08 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the response!
Looks like Finland could be the surprise favourite, will look into it over the weekend.
ed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.