Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: slow broadband
JoelP

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
slow broadband

sky max, up to 16mb apparently, but i cant even watch youtube real time? What a joke. Im thinking there must be something wrong here?! Moving avatars take 10 secs to load, small pictures some down line at a time.

Need to ring them i reckon!

JoelP

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
just tested it, download is 186kbps, upload is 409kbps

So i suppose it is 'up to 16mb'

mr henderson

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
My Orange broadband os really slow at the moment, though I think it may have to do with a very noisy BT line (they''ve had 3 goes at it, but I'll be ringing them again tomorrow)

John

lotusmadandy

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
i had sky 8mb broadband and was only getting 450kb for the 12 months i was with them
i tried to get them to sort it loads of times
and all i got was a huge bill cos they
charge you to call them.nobody at sky
cared at all,so i dumped them and went back to bt.

Andy

ecosse

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
It can sometimes be worthwhile fitting a decent quality filter (or combined faceplate/filter, it won't double your linespeed but can make a surprising difference to some adsl connections

Try here
http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Alex

stevebubs

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
IF you've got their router, have you tried logging on to see what speed you're synced at?

username: admin
password: sky

(could be the other way round)

HTH

Stephen

JoelP

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
IF you've got their router, have you tried logging on to see what speed you're synced at?

username: admin
password: sky

(could be the other way round)

HTH

Stephen

thats double dutch to me! log on to what?!

RichardK

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Sly too and my speed is rubbish at the moment, if you log into the sky router the speed will say the speed you negotiate but won't be anything like you are getting, one of the most releiable speed checkers I've found are h**p://www.swiftinter.net/speedtest

Best of luck if you ring the muppets up!

If its all default enter http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser and enter admin as the user name and sky as the password, first page will tell you your negotiated speed.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 25/8/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
DownStream Connection Speed 224 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 640 kbps

i googled and found that address

gonna have a fiddle with the filters etc

RichardK

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you get any crackling on your line when making voice calls try replacing your socket fronts this made a huge difference to mine also make sure the wires are punched in well, obviosly make sure every socket has a filter on it too.

I log into the router to go to the diagnostics tab to reboot the router as I'm lazy arse and can't be bothered to get up and switch it off!!

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mediabloke

posted on 25/8/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, but also noticed line noise on my BT landline, a high noise ratio (over 21 million dBs...) and disconnects every 20 mins or so. A call to my phone provider and 2 hours later, they traced it to a fault between my local "grey box" and exchange. It's been great since.

If you're happy to Google a bit, you can find a piece of freeware that I use, called "TCPOptimiser". It works out the best network settings based on the max size of packets that your ISP can handle, then configuring your network settings to suit. Youtube is watchable again... ;-)

HTH.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/8/08 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That's pretty crap, how far are you from the exchange? I'm something like 1.8km away but can still sync at around 5200kbit/s on Sky.

Any ropey wiring inside the house (especially DIY extensions) can bring your sync speed down, and the filters can make a big difference. With the cheap filter that came with the router I was syncing at about 4000kbit/s, but this halved when I plugged in the Sky+ box for some reason. After fitting a decent quality filtered outlet (about a tenner IIRC) it took sync speed up to 5200k and didn't make any difference with sky+ plugged in.

That said I find Sky can be very slow at peak periods (i.e. evenings) but can download at sustained 500kbytes/s late at night and early in the morning.

bimbleuk

posted on 26/8/08 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Find where your BT master socket is and take the face plate off. You should then reveal the BT "test" socket which is where the external wiring enters your house.

Plug your filter and Sky box directly in to that one and see what sync speed you get. If you get higher speeds then that should point to your internal wiring assuming the filter and Sky box are OK.

andyharding

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Find where your BT master socket is and take the face plate off. You should then reveal the BT "test" socket which is where the external wiring enters your house.

Plug your filter and Sky box directly in to that one and see what sync speed you get. If you get higher speeds then that should point to your internal wiring assuming the filter and Sky box are OK.

It can take up to 48 hours for adaptive ADSL to take the sync speed back so when you do find the fault don't expect instant results.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

JoelP

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
i killed the entire lot last night somehow, but after a bit of faffing just now (i removed the 10m extention phone cable it was going through), its now up to 2Mbps download. No idea how far i am from the exchange though, indeed i wouldnt recognise the exchange if i crashed into it.

I noticed before that it seems to stop working with the sky plugged in, to be honest i dont even know why the sky+ box needs a phone link if its coming through satellite? Works fine with it unplugged anyway. Im using the filters that came with the sky router a few weeks back.

Ah well, fingers crossed. Might have to do some research on it.

Cheers!

RichardK

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel, sounds like some new filters wouldn't go a miss, you have got a filter on the sly+ box haven't you and separate filters on each phone handset and don't plug a filter into another filter either!

2 Meg for sly yesterday doesn't seem bad as mine was about 2 mb, today I'm 3.5 but thats sly for you.

Cheers

Rich

David Jenkins

posted on 26/8/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I noticed before that it seems to stop working with the sky plugged in, to be honest i dont even know why the sky+ box needs a phone link if its coming through satellite?

Sky use the phone line to check whether you've been using pay-per-view channels (naughty boy!) and to see if your card is up to date. However, many people who never use pay-per-view leave the phone line disconnected without problems. Occasionally you might see a whinge message.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.