Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wifi help ?
Jon Ison

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
Wifi help ?

Right, I'm a pc numpty but will try to explain best I can.

Working away at mo, had wifi connection in hotel fine for two days then......

I am connected, good signal but when i try ie any site at all it searches it, finds it, says done in btm corner address still in top bar thingy but all i get is a blank empty white screen toolbars etc all still visible...........

But as soon as i plug in cable to socket on wall (not sure of proper name but Internet cable thingy) every thing is fine, click on a shortcut, pages comes straight up..........

What have i done to my settings to cause this, it just happened ???

Help please, ta.

The Great Fandango

posted on 29/8/08 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Without being there it's difficult to tell but it sounds to me like the hotel's wireless service is playing up. Ask them to check it (although from experience they usually don't give a toss). Perhaps corner another guest with a laptop to ask how theirs is doing?

I believe you can actually 'ping' test websites from the command line. Many people use the www.bbc.co.uk website. This would rule out connectivity versus internet explorer issue with wi-fi.

To prove it's not your laptop's wi-fi problem I'd head to the nearest McDonalds as they all have free wi-fi now.

If it's working with an ethernet cable plugged in then at least you've got the internet working... I was booked into a hotel in Surbiton for a six week job and the wi-fi packed in after three days. I was not impressed!

Last resort might be the opticians... Lengthily hotel stays mixed with laptops can do all sorts to a bloke's vision.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

Jon Ison

posted on 29/8/08 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
ping test ?

I suspect it will be hotel too but I have a "good" signal and it seems to do everything up to displaying the page.

Agriv8

posted on 29/8/08 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Have you done a 'Proper Restart of the Laptop' ( rather than standby ? ). If not try that.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

martyn_16v

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
ping test ?

Click Start-> Run. Type 'cmd' and hit enter. When the command prompt window appears, type 'ping www.bbc.co.uk' and hit enter. If you get any 'request timed out' then the wireless is playing up. Otherwise it should look vaguely similar to below Rescued attachment ping-bbc.gif
Rescued attachment ping-bbc.gif

AndyGT

posted on 29/8/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought but do you have anti-hijacking software on your PC?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.