Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mods to chassis design for straight 6 engine?
mr henderson

posted on 5/9/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mods to chassis design for straight 6 engine?

I'd be interested to hear what modifications people have carried out to provide space for a straight 6 (and which engine they fitted/are fitting/intend to fit?

I guess it would be possible to squeeze some 6's into the standard chassis, maybe, but a longer engine compartment has got to make the job easier?

John

novacaine

posted on 5/9/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
which straight 6 are you thinking of ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

mr henderson

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
which straight 6 are you thinking of ?

It's not a question that applies to a specific engine, I'm just interested in the geometry problems of extending the chassis in the engine compartment. Obviously it's easy to make a Locost or Haynes roadster by lengthening the cockpit where the rails are parallel, but the tapered sections are more 'interesting'

John

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you were going that route, I’d personally use one of the chassis cad drawings on the net and just use the stretch function to extend the front, then alter the wishbone dimensions to suit, half hour job on cad. Car might look a bit odd though, hope its not on of those 2ltr triumph straight 6’s is it, they suck so much.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
If you were going that route, I’d personally use one of the chassis cad drawings on the net and just use the stretch function to extend the front, then alter the wishbone dimensions to suit, half hour job on cad.

Easy if you know how to do it, and have the appropriate software. I don't. If and when I needed to do it I would build the chassis around the engine. I don't think it would be necessary to alter the wishbones though.

I've owned a triumph 6 (Vitesse Mk2) and I'm not doing that again!

Still interested to hear from anyone who has done it.

John

[Edited on 5/9/08 by mr henderson]

Hammerhead

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
benzine
82 Locost

posted on 5/9/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
With the gearbok fully rearwards (which 'box) I'd be surprised if a straight 6 didn't fit the standard chassis, although it may stretch the nosecone.

What's the length of the planned engine compared to a pinto/x-flow and are there any ancillaries at the front?

mr henderson

posted on 5/9/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 82 Locost

What's the length of the planned engine compared to a pinto/x-flow and are there any ancillaries at the front?

It's not a question that applies to a specific engine, I'm just interested in the geometry problems of extending the chassis in the engine compartment. Obviously it's easy to make a Locost or Haynes roadster by lengthening the cockpit where the rails are parallel, but the tapered sections are more 'interesting'

John

Benzine

posted on 5/9/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
My gearbox (volvo M90) is pretty wide so I had to widen the firewall/transmission tunnel area.

This means I've lost about an inch on the drivers side (pedals are still fine to use) and a few inches on the passenger side (clutch is on that side)

If I were using a slimmer gearbox like matt claydon with his T5 volvo engine (getrag?) then it'd probably fit okay without any mods. Other than the gearbox I haven't really come across any major obstacles that I can think of. The straight six gives plenty of clearance for the steering components. The oil filter sits beneath the sump so it doesn't stick out sideways (that's obviously engine specific and not relevant to all straight sixes)

[Edited on 5/9/08 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 5/9/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
There's room for a straight 8 in mine!

Almost literally, I could fit another Pinto in front of my current one.

1st (and minor mod) was to widen the tunnel entrance such that the bellhousing is entirely buried in the tunnel. This brings the engine back about 10".

2nd (and slightly less minor mod) was I increased the length of all the chassis tubes by 10%.
Consequently, I got a car of the same proportions as a Locost... but with 4" more cockpit width and about 6" more length. That also gives 6" or so more engine bay length.

It's actually more complex than the above sounds... but it did work.... kinda!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr G

posted on 5/9/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it's gonna be a straight six then the only option would be a RB26DETT

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Volvorsport

posted on 5/9/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
problem with a straight six is too much forward bias in std chassis.

the 442 offers this , and a 6 would fit mine luvverly, in fact i think im going to do that so im not outdone by benzine for noise , but only after ive got the 4 pot turbo up and running and beaten the 10 sec quarter .

for my money now , i wouldnt want a std type chassis at the front its too much hassle fitting brackets etc , it all wants to be straight , until it needs widening at the engine bay .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

nstrug

posted on 6/9/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any suitable I6s? I love BMW engines but they've all been iron blocks up until the latest generation of engines and weigh a ton. Were the Toyota I6s alloy?

Just a thought, if you can fit an I6 in there, you could probably fit a V12...

Nick

Volvorsport

posted on 6/9/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any suitable I6s?

volvo

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Peteff

posted on 7/9/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you extend the tapered section forward the nose will get narrower and if you extend it back the cockpit will be wider.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jamie1107

posted on 8/9/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
the agm wlr uses basically a locost chassis and they fit sraight six s also there was a guy on here building a bmw m50 powered locost
wilkingj

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just buy a Viento. It takes almost any engine.

I have seen:
4 pot Fords
6 pot BMW
4 pot Pinto
V6 Cosworth Ford (an non cosworth)
V8 (Rover, and a Chevy 5.7)
V10 Dodge Viper - http://www.v10viento.co.uk

Its a BIG chassis, and gives you loads of room to play with. Why modify when a std chassis exists off the shelf?

EDIT:
A note on the Triumph Vitesse / 2000 engine.
They had only a single Half moon thrust washer on the crank. These wear quickly, then the crank grinds into the block scrapping both.
A school pal developed a mod (counterboring the block and cap to fit two thrust washers) with greatly reduced the problem. He was a Line Borer at an engineering company.

Tell tale is longditudinal play on the crank, and / or nasty sounds when depressing the clutch (crank grinding on the block)

Just my 2 reils worth.

[Edited on 22/9/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

mr henderson

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Why modify when a std chassis exists off the shelf?

I should have said modification to chassis design, I didn't mean modifying an existing chassis.

Sorry for the confusion

John

novacaine

posted on 23/9/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
If it's gonna be a straight six then the only option would be a RB26DETT

i agree, BR26DETT all the way

tune it to 1000 bhp and put a dog box in

miles and miles of smiles (and wheelspin )

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.