Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The New Donington
bilbo

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
The New Donington

Just seen the plans for the new 'F1' spec Donington here
From Redgate to Mcleans it's as before (so craner curves and the old hair pin remain ), but it's significantly different for the rest of the track. What do people think?

[Edited on 8/9/08 by bilbo]

[Edited on 8/9/08 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

smart51

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
A slightly longer redgate and a couple of infield corners won't make it that much longer. I thought the whole point was that it was too short as it was?

Still, a very long pit straight with a hairpin at the end will make an interesting first lap of a grand prix.

The good news is that they're keeping the interesting half of the circuit unchanged.

vinny1275

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
The circuit looks OK. If they're not going to widen it, overtaking in the current cars might be (more) non-existant tho.

I still think the problem isn't the layout, but that they're not going to get a) funding, and b) planning permission to get this all in place for 2010.

Cheers

vince

balidey

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I love Donington (single N, not double ) and I know that Tom Wheatcroft loves it too, he would not allow these changes if it ruined the track.

Also I don't think its a massive change, only real addition is the inner loop. Now that loooooong sweeping curve will be interesting, as it will be down hill.

BenB

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Now the real question is whether the FIA are really going to use Donington or whether this is just the usual shenanigans to prevent Silverstone from becoming too powerful (e.g. the years when Brands Hatch was "given" the British GP and then they (the Brands executive) had to hire Silverstone). Political ranglings go on and on....
bilbo

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
(single N, not double )

I always get that wrong
Used to live just up the road from the place too - you'd think I'd know by now

Peteff

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
If they'd gone with my idea it would have been better, a figure 8 track so they have to cross through the traffic on the other section like in destruction derby

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kendo

posted on 8/9/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good

I think it would be good. I've never been that keen on silverstone and competition is a good thing (unless your Ferrari that is... oops wrong thread!)

The main concern for the spectator will be the getting in and out as that has never been that brilliant.

andylancaster3000

posted on 8/9/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Circuit looks OK IMO. But most importantly, what about the dunlop bridge?! I can't see the F1 tyre manufactures allowing that to remain right over the start finish straight...
coozer

posted on 8/9/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
No no no, they cant put the track there! What about Download and The Monsters of Rock?? Thats all its good for!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bilbo

posted on 8/9/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
Circuit looks OK IMO. But most importantly, what about the dunlop bridge?! I can't see the F1 tyre manufactures allowing that to remain right over the start finish straight...

If you look closely, you will see the bridge marked on the map, but marked for demolition

novacaine

posted on 8/9/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thats going

one of my first memories of a racing circuit

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

novacaine

posted on 8/9/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.