Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Experience with Griffin Power Systems manifold?
Mave

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Experience with Griffin Power Systems manifold?

Does anyone have experience with the Griffin Power Systems Ford Total Systems manifold (wow, that's a long name.....). LINKY

The reason's I'm considering it (I'm currently running standard OEM ECU and manifold):
- more power (latest silvertop they had on rollingroad apparently gave 158 bhp at the wheels)
- it will clean up my engine bay and electrics (as I'm currently using the huge OEM plastic manifold and ECU).
- it's plug-and-play
- I'm considering mounting a MINI supercharger, and I can use this manifold as well as the ECU. And if it doesn't work out with the supercharger, I can easily resort back to the standard Griffin setup.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
82 Locost

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
It looks good, although you will need to find a laptop with a floppy drive!

How much?

D Beddows

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
£980 + p&p according to the website.......

Pretty sure you could get an Emerald ECU, a set of throttle bodies and a manifold for that which is what I would do but the Griffin manifold may be easier with a supercharger

stig mills

posted on 11/9/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Zetec (griffin) manifold thats new. Its for a Black top but I didnt use it as you need to move the alternator. £200 will do if you would like it please email info@mevltd.co.uk regards Stuart
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
piddy

posted on 11/9/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a friend that brought one and didn't have a lot of success with it initially.
However after a rolling road session he is really happy with it.

There is a thread about it on another site if I can find it I will add a link to this post.

[Edited on 11/9/08 by piddy]

piddy

posted on 11/9/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the link.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=18374&hl=Griffin%20Power%20Systems&st=0
At the end he seems to be happy with the map but he wasn't really until he took it to a rolling road. He's really happy now.

Mave

posted on 11/9/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers,
sounds like a good plan then. But might need some fettling with the mapping.
And it works with the supercharger too (200 bhp on a stock Zetec):

djtom

posted on 11/9/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one on my zetec turbo setup (manifold only, that is - I'm running megasquirt management). To be honest I don't think much of it at all - the build quality of mine is pretty poor in just about every way. I bought it from ebay for about £160, but I think I'll be fabricating my own over the winter to replace it.

The bolts holding the end plates on strip threads very easily, the end plate itself on mine wasn't flat and leaked air, the throttle body mounting plate has been warped by the welding and needed the holes drilling out, the hose attachment tubes are too fat to get standard vacuum hose on (had to use fuel hose) etc etc. I ended up welding the end plates and TB mount in place to stop air leaks.

Oh, and the runners are just bits of tube that protrude into the plenum, there are no velocity stacks to smooth airflow, and at the head end the round tubes don't match the port shape at all. This has to be significantly affecting power at the moment.

All in all, I'd find it very hard to recommend when for the price of the kit you could buy a set of decent TBs and a Megasquirt (or Emerald if you don't like DIY) for less money!

If you are not into DIY, don't forget to allow a significant amount of money to get it mapped properly. Every engine is different and each specific installation will need mapping to get the best out of it.

If you are worried about going to forced induction, it's not that hard to make a sealed airbox to feed TBs - have a look at what some of the turbo BEC guys on this site have fabricated for ideas.

Hope this helps,

Tom

[Edited on 11/9/08 by djtom]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.