Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silvertop Zetec to ST170 conversion
Daza

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Silvertop Zetec to ST170 conversion

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a repeat topic,

I am currently running a Scholar engined 2ltr silvertop with jenvey throttle boddies in my old TVR Vixen. I'm thinking about upgrading to an ST170 if it can be done?

Does anyone know/or fitted a T9 grearbox to an ST170 engine?

If it does fit, is it just a case of fitting the bearing again in the back of the crank and what if any change to the flywheel is required?

Thanks

Daza

zetec

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the block should be the same, it's difference is some variable valve timing. I would be more tempted to spend the money on head and cams for your engine which would give 200 bhp+ easy with the TBs you have. Save the hassle of swapping and more power with less complicated engine.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Paul TigerB6

posted on 12/9/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
As above i'd stick to the standard zetec with tuning goodies (actually i'd fit a bike engine but we wont go there today YET - maybe later!!).

The variable valve timing will pretty much mean you need to stick with the standard induction, exhaust manifold and ECU as far as i'm aware. Not heard of any aftermarket ECU's that can be configured to operate this myself.

paulf

posted on 12/9/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
The variable valve timing can be operated by a simple switched output from the ECU or even a switch on the dash .It is just a hydralic valve with an on or off action.It could probbably even be left permaently switched on.
Paul

stevebubs

posted on 12/9/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - it can be done.

Block is essentially blacktop zetec.

worcestersauce

posted on 12/9/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, my mate has just finished an ST170 install into his indy. He bought 2nd hand low mileage engine complete for under a grand, using jenveys and emerald ECU and is hoping to be pushing 210bhp.
Andy

Daza

posted on 12/9/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
can you get some more info on it please
worcestersauce

posted on 12/9/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I will ask for some contacts, but I know he was impressed with the emerald set up. I think it has switchable maps. He has rolling road booked for later this month, so will be interesting to see results.
worcestersauce

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
daza,
Its been awhile since you raised this topic, but I thought I would update on results of the Rolling road. Rev limit was set at 6800, although it could be increased to 7500 later if needed. It was running a cat!
Power 168bhp at the wheels. I am guessing at 220 at the flywheel. Contact Dave Walker at Emerald, as he set it up. Not bad is it, and for less than £2500 all in!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.