Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: all carbon fiber locost body
jamie1107

posted on 12/9/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
all carbon fiber locost body

hi
im still in the planning stages of my locost but i have got wishbones etc sorted and the chassis metal ordered so im starting to think about the body
the rest of the car i want to be something special rocker arm front almighty engine etc and so far i have sorted most of that althought the rocker arm stuff is taking a bit of doing
anyway i got to the body and i thought ow can i do the rest of the car justice as afterall thats the bit you see first
so
i have found some companys are selling carbon fiber wet lay which after doing some research you lay just like fiberglass and alot of people are making pannels for their cars from it so i thought that might be the answer
so the reason im on here is this
has anyone used this stuff
the last locost i built used bought body pannels so im ventring into the un known a bit making all the pannels including the side rear and bonnet which leads me to my other questions
what is the best way to go about it
i have read alot on the forum about making bucks etc do i a find a helpfull locost owner and take profiles from their car
or do i make all the moulds i have had some ideas about plywood moulds for arches scuttle bonnet etc but the nose cone is bugging me
any advice about how i should go about this would be really great
sorry its a bit of a long post

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/9/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
At some point it lost the LO COST aspect of the build

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/9/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The "sensible" way to do it would be to just buy a ready made g/f nose cone and take a mould off it. Cheaper and easier in the long run.
Do not underestimate the cost and effort involved in a project like this. You will produce a lot of expensive scrap in the process

RK

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Forget anything to do with LOW cost if you go that route. There are so many little details that it will not be a cheap car no matter how you slice it. It will always be cheaper to buy an MX5 or something for the same money as one of these. Yes, I know they're different...
clairetoo

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've made a lot of stuff using carbon fiber mat - usually 200gram 2x2 twill - and hundreds of `ordinary` fiberglass molding's .
Carbon is very difficult to get perfect - I do it with a thin clear gel coat , so just a single strand out of place or a single air bubble and it's a `second` Out of about twenty pairs of cycle wings , I think maybe three or four were good )
Plus there's cost - CSM is a couple of quid a meter - carbon is £25+vat (and if it's going to be just carbon your gonna need
a lot , unless you use epoxy resin's (again , a lot more expensive than polyester resin )

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

RK

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
And here I was thinking I could make my own dash out of the stuff - for at least the first visible layer...
twybrow

posted on 12/9/08 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Clairetoo - couldn't agree more. I do this for a living, and it has taken me 4 scappers to get a radiused dashboard I am happy to put on my car (the scrap versions might appear on here FS soon!).

It will be a lot of work, and barely worth it IMHO. If you do decide to go this route, then I will happily give you advice where I can....

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/9/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
oh well so much for that, glad I find carbon stuff ugly

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 12/9/08 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Happily, I don't need radiused edging...
Hugh Paterson

posted on 13/9/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
carbon body

stick to the grp although a carbon dash would not be too difficult or expensive, I do this for a living as well and trust me u would trash more iems that turn out pukka, nose cone would be possible but u wont have much hair left!!
Shug

jamie1107

posted on 13/9/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi thanks for all the advise especially claire and twybrow i may hold you to that offer of some info lol
i have a mate who works in a grp factory who can get me 200 gsm twill for £180 sq meter so at that price its gotta be rude not to lol
i think the sugestion about getting a cone to take a mould off might be the best way then i can also use that to line up the front end of the buck for the bonnet then for the side pannels i can lay up some mat over steel plate to give me flat pannels for the sides
lo cost wise at the price im getting the mat its actually cheaper then most ppl pay for grp mat and besides driving a car you have built for scratch is worth the extra few pennies
i have seen some sugestions on the net that you can sand back the final finished pannel with fine grade say 1000 grit abralons then laqure it to produce the pro finish not sure if that will work but theres only one way to find out

Triton

posted on 15/9/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I've made a lot of stuff using carbon fiber mat - usually 200gram 2x2 twill - and hundreds of `ordinary` fiberglass molding's .
Carbon is very difficult to get perfect - I do it with a thin clear gel coat , so just a single strand out of place or a single air bubble and it's a `second` Out of about twenty pairs of cycle wings , I think maybe three or four were good )
Plus there's cost - CSM is a couple of quid a meter - carbon is £25+vat (and if it's going to be just carbon your gonna need
a lot , unless you use epoxy resin's (again , a lot more expensive than polyester resin )

This is exactly why we don't bother anymore, Unless you are geared up for it to do it properly ie: pre preg it's not worth the effort as it always looks crap...Just look at the GD car in carbon and orange!! looks fantastic in pics until you see it close up...It's awful and bet it cost a small fortune too!!
As for making seats in carbon ....no thanks if it can rip F1 tyres to shreds then what will it do to your backside if you get a whack hard enough to crack your seat!!! Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it!!!

Cheap carbon will always look cheap.

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
And I do this for a living too! Fancy that eh!

I don't have problems with radii, just crank up the pressure! But keeping the radii as big as possible helps a lot. The autoclave helps quite a bit as well.

Gelcoat has no place in proper carbon work. If you are using gel, then you are using poly resin. Cheap alternative and nasty, and has little structural integrity when loaded in conjunction with carbon, and fails catastrophically.

Prepreg is easy to use, and easy to get aligned and keep that way. If the resin content is right, and your process is right, then you will end up with a finish the equal of a gel layup, but without the weight and strength issues.

The few on here who have parts from me or have seen my work, will know what I am saying first hand. But they waited a long time!!

Cheers,
Syd.

And I'm not looking for work. At least not until after next March!

[Edited on 15/9/08 by Syd Bridge]

Benonymous

posted on 17/9/08 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
CF *groan*

Carbon fibre is a fantastic structural material. Why use it in a non structural way? Just for "High Tech" looks? There must be a better way to spend the money, like on actually making it a better car! Are you having a limited slip diff? Running a modern motor with multipoint fuel injection? Maybe a set of really good adjustable coil-overs? These would make a better car and the pitiful weight savings in a CF body would be forgotten.

Spend your money how you want but you're better off setting up less roadblocks to finishing your project rather than more. I started building a complete custom body for my Seven years ago. Another unfinished project.

jamie1107

posted on 18/9/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
in answer to that as i said in the first post yes im running msns on a 2.2 zvh turbo with an atb and hopefully inboard rocker arm suspenson hence my foray into the world of carbon fiber anyone can make a lotus 7 rep there are thousands out there and having been let down by a well known company in kit car circles i have this chassis and engine combo going spare which was destined to have a prototype body on it sadly this will now not be the case so instead of selling it for parts and building an ultima i decided it might be an idea to try and use it to produce something different hence the cf it will be used as sturctural reinforcing on the side pannels and a spin off glare (glass fiber reinforced ali will be used for the floor if i can pull it off it will be one of a kind if i cant i have alot of expensive scrap but at least i tried
02GF74

posted on 19/9/08 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
And here I was thinking I could make my own dash out of the stuff - for at least the first visible layer...

you still can.
you can cover the dash with CF matt than use resin/laquer and polish it.

SGRABER on here did a good post about t his.

ok, so it is not CF part but a CF covered part; far better than the painted dash look-a-like CF stuff.

Eurospare did stick on CF mat to achive a similar finish.

iank

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
There was an all carbon fibre bodied westfield being used as a rally car (in Barbados IIRC).

Found a link:
http://www.racedandrallied.com/detail.php?siteid=61&show_still=1

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

stevebubs

posted on 21/9/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting Reading
RK

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Do we get university credits for reading such a piece? Very informative though, and let's you know just what's involved if you want a good result.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.