Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: disposing of your old chassis
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 14/9/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
disposing of your old chassis

my car was written off - when insurance let me buy it back for stripping for spares the ytold me i had to dispose of the old chassis through a salvage agent - who will i presume charge

is there a better way to do it - IE chop it up and weigh it in? anyone done this before?

i think their reason is so the car doesnt get dumped by the road side and i get a environmental hazard ticket or summink - is this the only way to get rid???????

ReMan

posted on 14/9/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think their reason is more likeky that you get written proof of it being disposed of rather than repaired and re-sold?
l0rd

posted on 14/9/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you chop it off on a video and sent them the evidence? Keep the steel for other parts of a new chassis.
David Jenkins

posted on 14/9/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Look around for a scrap metal merchant - most big towns have them. They'll weigh the steel and will probably give you some cash for it. I can't see that they'd complain if you ask for a detailed receipt - "Received for scrap, chassis no. xxxxxxxxx, date xx/xx/xx".

If you chop it up into manageable sections and shine up the bit where the number's stamped then it should be straightforward.

[Edited on 14/9/08 by David Jenkins]

posted on 14/9/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
doesnt it have implications with the details being re used by a dodgy person if it gets lost - then if its not officially receipted to me as destroyed - wont i get the blame for not disposing of it? lol - if you can understand that!

big_wasa

posted on 14/9/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you cant keep the chassis id then any good scrap metal merchant will A pay you for it and B give you a receipt for it and C sort the paper work and inform the dvla of its destruction.
blakep82

posted on 14/9/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
doesn't a salvage agent weigh in steel? i thought thats what they did?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

fatfranky

posted on 14/9/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have they already paid out on the claim, i.e. paid you the agreed market price minus the salvage value?

If so, what difference does it make, assuming that there's nowt else worth having off the shell, weigh it in and register on the V5 as permanentl scrapped.

posted on 14/9/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
they are sending the cheque now - i bought it back for £600 - then i strip it sell the bits - im left with lots of no good bits to dispose of..

DarrenW

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Just wondering if you could get away with cutting out the chassis number and returning it to insurance company. Might be worth calling them to clarify what they need.

jamie1107

posted on 16/9/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
you are missing the point here its steel your local car scrap yard will not only sort the paper work they will give you money for it to they might even pick it up

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.