Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh dear...
Russell

posted on 15/9/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear...

Another ebay listing to make you smile or grimace. Wrong in sooooo many ways....

ebay linky

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
so blatant, must have just restamped the shell number or my fave, just weld it in. I know folk who do cut and shuts (very well btw) happens all the time

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
so blatant, must have just restamped the shell number or my fave, just weld it in. I know folk who do cut and shuts (very well btw) happens all the time

Never mind that, it comes with new mountains and caplipers.

tegwin

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
"Engine mountains"

And check out the dash mounted relays....

LOL!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

smart51

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I particularly like the uprated engine mountains but am scared by the 300m front brake discs.
pjavon

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
What about the 300m Discs, now there BIG

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
"Engine mountains"

And check out the dash mounted relays....

LOL!!

Wouldn't be too concerned about this car as it's not real meant as a proper road one, just registered to qualify. So much work goes into preparing these shells is amazing and it looks like it's been done quite well going by the pictures.

certainly an ugly dash but at least you don't have to stop to replace a broken relay, probably for the lights...

[Edited on 15/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Luckily he didn't advertise it on here or the spelling and grammar police would have him banned for life

neilj37

posted on 15/9/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
The ad reads like it was written by a 6 year old
tobymack

posted on 15/9/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37

And this thread would make everyone think this forum is populated by 6 year olds!

So the guy can't spell? So what, does that make him stupid? Does that mean he isn't capable of building a decent rally car?

Ignoring the advert, what exactly is wrong with the car?
It has been reshelled. So what? Rally cars tend to get bent so reshelling is very common or there would not be many left!
It has a cosworth V6 rather than a turbo? So what? As he says that probably makes it an easier car to live with.
Relays on the dash? Why not, a damn site better than crawling under the dash to fix problems in the dark, in the middle of a rally!

I am still on locostbuilders, not blatchat aren't I?

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 15/9/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobymack
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37

And this thread would make everyone think this forum is populated by 6 year olds!

So the guy can't spell? So what, does that make him stupid? Does that mean he isn't capable of building a decent rally car?

Ignoring the advert, what exactly is wrong with the car?
It has been reshelled. So what? Rally cars tend to get bent so reshelling is very common or there would not be many left!
It has a cosworth V6 rather than a turbo? So what? As he says that probably makes it an easier car to live with.
Relays on the dash? Why not, a damn site better than crawling under the dash to fix problems in the dark, in the middle of a rally!

I am still on locostbuilders, not blatchat aren't I?

One must be able to use the Queens english to be on here now ! Spelling Linky

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/9/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE

One must be able to use the Queens english to be on here now !

That'll be Queen's English though Mr Ecosse!!

Sorry - couldn't resist and hope it's taken in the good natured manner intended.

ravingfool

posted on 15/9/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also a little lost, what do people think is wrong with the car?

I found the advert painfully difficult to read which would likely put me off if I were in the market for such a car. However, aside from the complete lack of basic literacy and the incredibly irritating use of capital letters, what is wrong with the car? It's perfectly legal to re-shell a car and retain the original registration etc, else heritage shells and the like wouldn't be doing so with MGBs and minis.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ravingfool
I'm also a little lost, what do people think is wrong with the car?

I found the advert painfully difficult to read which would likely put me off if I were in the market for such a car. However, aside from the complete lack of basic literacy and the incredibly irritating use of capital letters, what is wrong with the car? It's perfectly legal to re-shell a car and retain the original registration etc, else heritage shells and the like wouldn't be doing so with MGBs and minis.

Tbo in the normal real world of road cars, any car that needed a new shell would be deemed a write off. Simply removing the running gear and sticking that in another car is not legal as far as the DVLA is concerned and it should be put through an SVA. Course it happens all the time and worse. I read about one guy who ended up with a Q plate on his golf because the made the doors gullwing! his mistake was to bother telling the DVLA, nosey busy bodies that they are. People re-shell tons of MG's, Tax free series Landys sporting new galvanised chassis , welding two cars together , cloning cars NTDWMH...cough. Happens all the time but normally no one else knows about it.

iank

posted on 15/9/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Tbo in the normal real world of road cars, any car that needed a new shell would be deemed a write off. Simply removing the running gear and sticking that in another car is not legal as far as the DVLA is concerned and it should be put through an SVA. Course it happens all the time and worse. I read about one guy who ended up with a Q plate on his golf because the made the doors gullwing! his mistake was to bother telling the DVLA, nosey busy bodies that they are. People re-shell tons of MG's, Tax free series Landys sporting new galvanised chassis , welding two cars together , cloning cars...cough. Happens all the time but normally no one else knows about it.

It's completely legal to reshell a car in a brand new OEM specification shell and keep the VIN number/reg without an SVA - or even telling the DVLA.
If you use a second hand shell it must taken on the identity of the shell not the parts donor.

A car is only written off by an insurance company. You can but a box of bits and a V5 and reshell completely legally and above board without it being a write off.

If you do buy a write off and reshell it you need a VIC test not an SVA.

The problem with the golf was that you can't legally modify a monocoque changing it's structural strength 'significantly' without it requiring an SVA - if he hadn't got an SVA for it it wouldn't have been insured correctly, though he'd only have found out that bit if/when he had a bang - which would have been a much bigger mistake.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 15/9/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

One must be able to use the Queens english to be on here now !

That'll be Queen's English though Mr Ecosse!!

Sorry - couldn't resist and hope it's taken in the good natured manner intended.

Sorry for that but being Scottish i couldn't bring myself to put a capital there I have discovered why there are so many problems just now with spelling and grammar,the website is down Linky

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/9/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Tbo in the normal real world of road cars, any car that needed a new shell would be deemed a write off. Simply removing the running gear and sticking that in another car is not legal as far as the DVLA is concerned and it should be put through an SVA. Course it happens all the time and worse. I read about one guy who ended up with a Q plate on his golf because the made the doors gullwing! his mistake was to bother telling the DVLA, nosey busy bodies that they are. People re-shell tons of MG's, Tax free series Landys sporting new galvanised chassis , welding two cars together , cloning cars...cough. Happens all the time but normally no one else knows about it.

It's completely legal to reshell a car in a brand new OEM specification shell and keep the VIN number/reg without an SVA - or even telling the DVLA.
If you use a second hand shell it must taken on the identity of the shell not the parts donor.

A car is only written off by an insurance company. You can but a box of bits and a V5 and reshell completely legally and above board without it being a write off.

If you do buy a write off and reshell it you need a VIC test not an SVA.

The problem with the golf was that you can't legally modify a monocoque changing it's structural strength 'significantly' without it requiring an SVA - if he hadn't got an SVA for it it wouldn't have been insured correctly, though he'd only have found out that bit if/when he had a bang - which would have been a much bigger mistake.

good answers

though it is quite obvious its not a brand new shell, its a blue Sierra, unless Ford has had fully painted shells sitting round for 15 years or more

mr henderson

posted on 15/9/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
What I don't understand about these people who can't spell simple words such as 'mounting' and 'event' is how can they see the correct words over and over again and still not be able to spell them when they need to?

John

RK

posted on 15/9/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well, my background is linguistics, before I became an Audiologist, so I guess it goes the other way too! He can't spell his own name and I can barely work a spanner.
Dick Axtell

posted on 15/9/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Luckily he didn't advertise it on here or the spelling and grammar police would have him banned for life

Remember Arkwright's principle (that's the Ronnie Barker one, not the mill owner). He deliberately mispelt a handwritten sign on the shop window. When this was pointed out by Granvill ("Fetch a cloth" ), the shopkeeper retorted that he'd made 7 sales from passers-by, eager to correct his apparent error.

The extent of the erroneous spelling on the ad makes me a tad suspicious. I reckon its an Arkwright ploy to pull in the punters.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Jon Ison

posted on 15/9/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:

Remember Arkwright's principle (that's the Ronnie Barker one, not the mill owner). He deliberately mispelt a handwritten sign on the shop window. When this was pointed out by Granvill ("Fetch a cloth" ), the shopkeeper retorted that he'd made 7 sales from passers-by, eager to correct his apparent error.

The extent of the erroneous spelling on the ad makes me a tad suspicious. I reckon its an Arkwright ploy to pull in the punters.

^^^^^ What Dick said, made me look along with at the moment 2500 other views, the car don't look half bad to me either, its a rally hack not a show car ?

BenB

posted on 15/9/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The capital "E" of English is of less importance (in my honest opinion) than the singular possessive apostrophe!!! I note the correction was for both but only the E was noticed!!!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 15/9/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

The capital "E" of English is of less importance (in my honest opinion) than the singular possessive apostrophe!!! I note the correction was for both but only the E was noticed!!!

I wasn't brave enough to point out that it was the apostrophe too and was what i actually spotted first!!

jake_truck

posted on 15/9/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear God!!!!!
rodriguez

posted on 15/9/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I thought i was a bad man for missing out the capital letters in one of my previous posts, but this guy really does need a bit of education!
On the subject of the car though, it looks very similar to one that i work on, only ours is orange where it is red and more importantly its RWD. Its an ok engine for rallying, perhaps a bit lazy though

get it lit

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.