Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where do all the left overs go?
Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Where do all the left overs go?

What do all you BEC blokes do with the bits you don't use, or do you just buy engines? After a swing arm and 3 wheels (one rear, 2 fronts) off "a" bike but failing to turn up any great bargains so far.

Also, what's the most popular bike for nicking the engine from, that I'm most likely to find remains of?! (don't want to end up with 2 odd fronts)

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
hmm are you using bike tyres up front for a trike, I'd be tempted to use narrow car tyres since bike ones are really meant to work with the bikes tilting, kept always upright they will tend to wear down very quickly. Might be barking up the wrong tree...just a thought. Most engines I believe come from smashed bikes. Aye, oops, shiver me timbers!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I am, but I'm not unduly concerned on wear - low speed, low mileage being the key reasons, the lesser reason is knowing next to nothing about bikes I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find car tyres that would fit a bike wheel, but want to use bike wheels for single centre mount and weight.

Another reason is because I'm considering* making it lean.

* meaning - I can't work it out at the moment but if I get my head around it then it's a distant possibility.

argghhhh

[Edited on 19/9/08 by Delinquent]

Peteff

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
You want to use car type tyres or quad front wheels as bike tyres will fail MOT if the centres wear low while there is still lots of tread on the rest of the tyre.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
trikes like these? honestly though upright bike tyres will be worn past the limits after a couple of thousand miles due to tyre scrub

how about 2CV tyres? they are very narrow oh look at that body roll, pass the sick bag!! here's a link to longstones for the size of tyre the old 2CV's use - linky

[Edited on 19/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
like these? honestly though upright bike tyres will be worn past the limits after a couple of thousand miles due to tyre scrub

how about 2CV tyres? they are very narrow

Yeah exactly like those - the thing I can't reconcile at the moment is steering. From my early scribbles it seems to be that with leaning suspension the steering geometry only stays anything like what you'd want it to be for one angle - so either I'm missing something or it's not a problem. Unfortunately I don't know which

2CV tyres were my first thought but as I say, know nothing about bike wheel sizes and if it would be feasible. From what I have found so far 15" doesn't seem to be a popular bike wheel size.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
like these? honestly though upright bike tyres will be worn past the limits after a couple of thousand miles due to tyre scrub

how about 2CV tyres? they are very narrow

2CV tyres were my first thought but as I say, know nothing about bike wheel sizes and if it would be feasible. From what I have found so far 15" doesn't seem to be a popular bike wheel size.

da da! your looking for a scooter...

linky to 15 inch scooter tyres

linky for 2CV tyres

[Edited on 19/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh see that's where I went wrong, not looking for anything scooter related.

I presume beading won't be an issue, I'll investigate further though.

Russell

posted on 19/9/08 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can get sidecar tyres to fit bike wheels. Flat tread profile.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
You can get sidecar tyres to fit bike wheels. Flat tread profile.

smart man. Actually sidecar might be a useful source of other bits I need as well.... cheers!

smart51

posted on 19/9/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have the front wheel and brake disc from a Piaggio X8 if its any use to you. I have the complete brake assembly from lever to pads too if its any use, still with fluid in it.
Delinquent

posted on 19/9/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mate, it's a bit smaller than my design called for really but I may have a rethink on that if I get stuck and you still have it!
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/9/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have a complete Suzuki Hayabusa less engine and ancilliaries (which are now in my car) if you are interested.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Delinquent

posted on 22/9/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
I have a complete Suzuki Hayabusa less engine and ancilliaries (which are now in my car) if you are interested.

I'll ping a U2U over

jonah

posted on 22/9/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow

And I have another if you need any duplicate parts from it....

Jonah

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.