Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "GT3 RS" V "7"
matt.c

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
"GT3 RS" V "7"

Was talking to a friend about his GT3RS and i was thinking what sort of 7 would i need to beat a GT3RS around a track? Lets say that they are both driven by racing drivers so equal. What engine/BHP would i need to keep up or pass the RS?

He thinks there would be no chance of a 7 keeping up with the RS but im not so sure.

Would a BEC keep up? Or would it have to be a heavily modded CEC?

I would like to just have the amo to tell him right.

The link below has the info on a RS.
LOOK AT ME AGAIN

EDIT was for a bad LINK

[Edited on 22/9/08 by matt.c]

[Edited on 22/9/08 by matt.c]

Omni

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The link does not work for me

O

Danozeman

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Or me just a banner

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Depends very much on the track i'd say.

As for what sort of 7 you'd need - well the simple answer is a BEC!!!

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Even as a fan of the "7", I think that around an average circuit with a mix of corners and reasonable straights, any average 7 type car would struggle to keep up with a GT3 RS. Having experienced both on track, the power of the Porsche would put quite a gap for the 7 to try to make up at the end of each straight.
billynomates

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Any 7, and a junior hacksaw for cutting the brake lines, should do the trick.
Derek182

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I currently track day a Luego with a friend who has a standard Caterham CSR260. He is a decent driver, races karts as well but certainly no pro.
We have done all sorts of circuits from Cadwell to Silverstone GP and Spa and the CSR is always the quickest road car around topping out at 145mph but being noticeably quicker than anything under braking and around corners.
The only 911s which are quicker are Carrera Cup cars. That said the majority of GT3s we come across aren't exactly been driven to their limits.
I drove the CSR at Silverstone and a 997 turbo was holding me in a straight line but around any sort of corner the 7 was far quicker.

simoto

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Easy peasy, 1500kg porker with 300 horse fersus 150 ish bhp bec pushing 400ish kg with the brakes and road holding to match. No contest at all.
See famous u tube video of top gear lap record being beaten by a caterham cec and the gt3rs was no where near the top of that league table anyway.
The course is hardly twisty or slow either.

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree,you would need to have a 7 with the power and handling of a CSR 260 to beat a GT3 rs round a track,even then you would only beat it by a very small margin,Evo magazine often do back to back testing of the top track cars at varous circuits,and the csr260 usually has the edge by a second or two over the gt3's,but I think it would be a different story with a BEC,on a very tight twisty circuit like cadwell there would be little difference,but on a circuit like silverstone the GT3 rs would certainly have the edge on the BEC 7
JoelP

posted on 23/9/08 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
in power to weight terms the porsche has 'only' 350 bhp per tonne. So a BEC with 180bhp and 450 kgs would out do it there. Coupled with nimbler handling, you're off to a good start.

Rather than arguing with him though, id just be quietly confident, whilst trying to persuade him to come to a trackday Would be good fun.

Ivan

posted on 23/9/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think the main point is that you would have more fun in the 7 on track than the porker because you have much less money to loose in an off, and on top of that be fairly closely mached on lap times, and also more likely to push your and the car's limits

smart51

posted on 23/9/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I nearly stufed my BEC 7 into the back of a GT3 RS at Mallory Park because it was so slow, so therefore they're rubbish. Or it could have been the girl driving it. Even the 2CV on the track day (!) was turning into Gerrards faster than that.
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 23/9/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Porker 350 BHP per ton; Busa 7 400 per ton. 7 wins by 50 BHP.
Porker gate shift; Busa 7 sequential. 7 gains a 10th per shift.
Weight kills cornering; Porker aptly named.

Only down side for the 7 is drag. Porker would begin to gain above 120/130mph and would romp off over 140mph.

So don't take him on at Le Mans!!!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

nstrug

posted on 23/9/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Even if the GT3 RS was quicker round the track you would certainly win on the tyre bill at the end of the day.

Nick

hobbsy

posted on 23/9/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
You've gotta remember that if you're two people up in a BEC though the power to weight takes a far larger hit than in the Porker, spesh if the passengers in the BEC are heavy.

And some of the BEC build weights you see are sometimes optimistic and haven't been checked. Someone says a BEC 7 is 400 to 450kg but there are some heavier than that.

So 2x 100Kg passengers in a BEC thats actually 500Kg once you've got a full tank and thats 700Kg with maybe only 150bhp then you're looking at ~215bhp/ton

GT3 RS is 1377 so add a driver and fuel it might only be 1500kg with 415BHP so ~275bhp/ton

But as said lighter car with same power to weight is likely to be quicker on the twisties.

I think in Evo they got a bit of a slating off some people for saying new Cateringvan R500 has a higher power to weight ratio than a Veyron, which is does - until you put some people in it then it takes a big hit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of BEC's but if there is a good driver one up in a GT3 RS vs 2 up in a BEC you're not going to shoot past it.

They are still good cars but then they should be at the price they are!!!

Just take comfort in the fact that he probably heavily wears some very expensive tyres and brakes running at similar speeds to you and yet your pads might only cost £10 to £100 an axle set and tyres £30 to £80 a corner. And then there's fuel.

Smiles per pound though as some other dude said

Also how much difference does a good vs poor driver and knowledge of the track make - a damn site more than 50bhp/ton!

[Edited on 23/9/08 by hobbsy]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh. Thats right......Porker drivers have no mates! ;-)

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

iank

posted on 23/9/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear powerlaps
7th Ariel Atom 1.19.5
18th Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3

Don't think a top end 7 is any slower than an Atom.

Either a BEC with >150bhp or a CEC with >200bhp would do the job I suspect.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 23/9/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Top Gear powerlaps
7th Ariel Atom 1.19.5
18th Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3

Don't think a top end 7 is any slower than an Atom.

Either a BEC with >150bhp or a CEC with >200bhp would do the job I suspect.

The atom is much faster than a BEC, mostly because the supercharger gives a lot more power. A friend of mine did the website for Aerial. He's riden in my seven and the atom and says the atom is noticably faster. It should be. It weighs the same but is much more powerful.

I've had trouble keeping up with atoms on the track too. My BEC is a bit lardy at 500kg, comfy though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.