Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000RR Indy
cosworthspeed10

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
CBR1000RR Indy

Hi there,

Has anyone fitted a CBR1000RR 2004+ engine into their cars yet?
I have just bought a Indy with a 900 Blade engine in but would like a few more horsies. Due to the second set of injectors on top of the air box on the 1000RR engine it looks like it is too tall but was wondering if anyone had found a way round this. Also the second issue is the depth of the sump, which is like a skyscraper. I know you can buy a swinging pickup sump which reduces the overall sump height to 60mm but its a tad expensive at £550. The engine has good power @175BHP and Relativly good torque, being honda it should be fairly reliable and make one of these things fly.

Any ideas?

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
My mate has just put one in his lad's grasser. It is a tall motor. He's managed to reduce the top slightly by mounting the 2ry injectors in the top plate of a K&N type airbox. It's only saved a couple of inches though.
matt.c

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cant help you but welcome to the forum.

cosworthspeed10

posted on 23/9/08 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, Richard is there and chance you can get a picture of the airbox

A Couple of inches is quite alot and could be possible if i were to mod the sump aswell.

Theres some awsome looking cars on here!

minordelay

posted on 23/9/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
1000 RR

Hi there and welcome.

There are a few people who have done this conversion on this forum. but the man to speak to in relation to this engine without doubt is Andy at AB peformance. We are building an MK with this engine and have bought the billet sump off Andy which lets you drop the engine by 60mm. there are a couple of options on the TB's but as a temporary option we are cutting the air box base out and glueing it back together to drop the height even further. The K&N idea sounds good though, have thought about making a custom plenum and feeding a cone filter through a cold air box under the rad.

Hope this helps.

Richard, I'd like to see the K&N mod too.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 23/9/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon from past experience that if you are going to all the hassle of a transplant that you should go for one of the higher torque lumps eg zx12. For you to convert your present engine you'd need a new exhaust manifold and a new engine cradle probably as well. Torque is more important than outright power for a bec so the big engines are a better choice for a transplant. Hellfire's Indy (http://hellfire.locostsites.co.uk/) is a perfect example of a Blade to zx12 rebuild and its full of great tips and tricks.

This is my opinion only of course (having converted from blade 893 to blade 954) but on hindsight i wish i'd gone zx12 instead!!!

hth

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/9/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
It's basically one of these boxes and he's drilled the top plate over each of the trumpets to accept the 2ry injectors...

[img][/img]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/9/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
beppisignori has that very motor going in at the moment ITS A VERY TALL MOTOR

carpmart

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Tim Hovard is just about to undertake fitting one to his RGB car as below..

http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/?p=144

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

cosworthspeed10

posted on 23/9/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem is that i already have the Engine, Exhaust, fuel tank, power commander, clocks, loom, ECU with bypassed HSS
Basically a complete kit to get the engine running, but again the only issue is the height. If i didn't already have the engine i would have probably gone down the ZX12 / Busa route.

MUZWESS

posted on 27/3/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
It's basically one of these boxes and he's drilled the top plate over each of the trumpets to accept the 2ry injectors...

Image deleted by owner

Richard can you post a photo from the airbox, how you did this with the two fuelrails.

Regards
Jan Wessing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.