Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New MNR Owner - Hi
paublo999

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
New MNR Owner - Hi

Hi all,

I was the lucky soul, brave enough to buy Jeff's green Super R on pistonheads.

I know it has had a bit of a chequered start to its life, but I believe the car will turn out to be a good un I would like to thank Jeff and of course Chris and Marc at MNR for helping to get the car through the dreaded SVA and on the road.

I have had a my first drive yesterday and can really feel the difference in power from my old Fireblade Westfield. Brakes and tyres still need to be bedded in, so it is still very difficult to tell just how good the car is going be to be.

car weighed in at 495kgs wet with 10ltrs of fuel and 161 bhp at the wheels with a leaky silencer. Hopefully a bit more to come after it wears in and I get the induction system sorted out.

My plans are to compete in the Scottish Hillclimb and Sprint Championship in class A4 - road modified under 1400cc. I did pretty well last year in my 919 Westy Blade with 5 class wins and a class record on some of the tighter circuits. On the the "power" tracks I was getting beaten up down the straights and couldnt make the time up through the corners. Hence the ZZR1400...

link to the old Westy in action at Golspie... Golspie Sprint Sept 2008

Hopefully with the MNR I can bring a class trophy home next year.

Hopefully you will all keep me right as I get used to the new beasty.

Transmissions seems a bit noisier than the westy but I didnt have a reverse box last time. Lets hope it runs in ok and settles down....

Also need to sort out some rear arch protectors as it seems a shame to chip the lovely gellcoat.

Can I ask what mods people have done to be able to fit tyres wider that 205's... the arches do seems to be a bit narrow...?

Anyway - back to work - cheers for now.

Paul

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
welcome

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
You'll do well with that.

You can certainly make the Westfield go well.

I was the Marshall on the last post at Forrestburn and noticed that the car was always singing. More cubes can't help but improve things.

And A thoirs will be spewing...

[Edited on 29/9/08 by zilspeed]

paublo999

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

I have been known to chuck that old blade around.. Forrestburn is my favourite place on the calendar - so technical. But the bigger cars are a second up by the time I get to the brae... I was 0.7 seconds behind John H's Busa last time, so the cc's should make the difference if my skills dont let me down.

Andy is aware of my plans - when I pipped him by 2 100th's of a second at Boyndie a few weeks ago I had to tell him about the new power plant - just to rub it in... nice chap Andy..

Zilspeed - come and say hello next year I try and thank the marshalls for standing out in the rain, not sure if I have said hello before...

Cheers
Paul

zilspeed

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I hope to be in a car next year.

Failing that, it'll be the orange overalls again.

welderman

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
You should have fun in that car!!!

With reference to your arch protection, check these out:

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Polymer-Stone-Chip-Guards__CMSCGWFLD01.aspx

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk

cheers

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

paublo999

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
at least the price includes vat... £74.99 + postage....

might have to wait for that upgrade...

anyone had any luck with the various vinyl procection coatings....?

athoirs

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul!

Good to hear you got the car ok

Me spewing! Never!

Your not going to have any excuses about having a wee one next year….. (engine!)

Got to say I really enjoyed the meetings I attended this year the crack has been excellent and the racing close - even you beating me by 2/100ths as we were both about .3 secs below the track record for the class! It was also amazing that we beat some of the more established names in their megabusas.

I’m going to stick with the Indy next year, with just a few mods over the winter, My older daughter has just started Uni and its costing me a fortune ( starts with excuses early…) Also the rules may change at the end of 2009 and I don’t fancy road tyres going up Doune..

paublo999

posted on 29/9/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
we'll end up on slicks with superchargers....

I promise to increase the gap next year though, even after a short drive the extra torque and raw power is incredible....

The racing was good crack... enjoy the rebuild process... shed some weight - perhaps off yourself aswell

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 29/9/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations and welcome!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Pdlewis

posted on 29/9/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
awsome thats a sweet car have fun

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

richardh

posted on 29/9/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
welcome
TimC

posted on 29/9/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome - nice car!

quote:
Originally posted by paublo999
Can I ask what mods people have done to be able to fit tyres wider that 205's... the arches do seems to be a bit narrow...?

The fronts might be a bit of a struggle but I would have thought it perfectly feasible on the rear. You might need to play around with wheel offset to make it happen though.

quote:
Transmission seems a bit noisier than the westy but I didnt have a reverse box last time. Lets hope it runs in ok and settles down....

If you're not doing much reverse parking I'd be tempted to sell the reverse box and buy yourself a new Prop and a pair of the arch protectors - they are nice, trust me!

I should be sprinting in a MNR next season too!

Agriv8

posted on 30/9/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Welcolm

I am in the process of fitting 225's all round ( to Hopefully avoid more ditch finding capabilities )

The rears are tight ( but my v8 rides quites high due to sump and bellhousing to ground clearance ) I am also running 15's for gearing perposes and thats even with the 3.14 LSD.

Fronts are very tight but should be doable I will take some photo's when finish ( but the sides of the mudgards are trimmed back to the shoulders ).

Good look with the racing and fly that MNR flag high.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

paublo999

posted on 30/9/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
hi all,

I reckon the fronts will take 215's as long as I move the wing out a 10mm or so on the stays... so thats on the cards.

245's on the rear will need arch extensions - anyone had any made? I know Marc is considering them? The 245's are the AVON sprinting tyre of choice for the 7... with all this power I will need it.. I suppose I can afford to wait as I dont really need them until March of next year....

Arch protectors.. budget is all used up, so trying to source something cheaper.. but I realise already that I will buy them before next season starts..

anyway... thanks for the welcome, just lots and lots of little jobs to do.... finally got my Westfield reliable and now I have to start all over again.. kitcars...

Paul

Agriv8

posted on 30/9/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

I belive that the wider rears are on the cards as soon as Marc gets his head round his CNC Router . It is planned to use this to make a new bucks for the bodywork company to make a mold from.

As ususual this is waiting to get to the top MNR development list

Will keep you posted if I hear ant 'Rumours'

Regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

paublo999

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Agriv8...

plan to chase Marc myself as I need to get a few last things sorted out. I believe he is having a few well deserved days off. He does seem to work hard..

As for ditch running, I nearly put mine in the ditch last night... tyre pressures were too hard and it tramlined and then caught under acceleration.... really need to get used to the new car before going quicker........

cheers
Paul

Agriv8

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
While on a 'Trip out' yesterday ( time and location clasified ) The current development time is being spent on the much awaited LMP I am not allowed to release further information at this time.

But all I will say is its getting the MNR treatment

Regards

Agriv8

neilj37

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Will look forward to seeing the MNR at the sprints and hill climbs around scotland particularly Fintray and Alford (Provider its sorted).

My neighbour Barry Main kept onto me to enter mine but it would have put me in the 2l class and there is no way i could compete against some of the guys there running modified 2l vauxhall engines

TimC

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
Will look forward to seeing the MNR at the sprints and hill climbs around scotland particularly Fintray and Alford (Provider its sorted).

My neighbour Barry Main kept onto me to enter mine but it would have put me in the 2l class and there is no way i could compete against some of the guys there running modified 2l vauxhall engines

Ah, I reckon most of the fun is in beating your previous best times etc rather than winning your class, at least in your first season. My car doesn't fit into the class system at all well (not road registered) so it looks like I'll have to run in Libre. Oh well.

paublo999

posted on 1/10/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
agreed... not been to Alford, but Boyndie, fintray and Golspie are all great up that far North... plan to give it to the Busa Westfields next year...

As for being competitive, you might suprise yourself with a well sorted car. I had class wins in an old heavy Fireblade car mainly on the tighter circuits and was always very close or winning when it was wet, so power inst everthing and it is Scotland we are talking about...

Would also agree its about progression, by the end of the season I was as much as 10% faster at some of the tracks...

what a rush though... get out there and do it man...

[Edited on 1/10/08 by paublo999]

Chris B

posted on 1/10/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome! Chris & Marc offered me a green body to start with but I turned it down in favour of the orange not being to sure with the green but after seeing your one on Piston heads I could'nt beleive how good it looked! That engine looks a beauty. How's the mid range compared to the fireblade???
paublo999

posted on 1/10/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I do like the orange colour, but the green will do fine... it certainly is distinctive...

as for the torque - the engine isnt quite breathing right just yet.... the pipercross filter that was fitted didnt have enough support inside it and was collapsing on to the carbs and choking cyclinders 1 and 4. This resulted in a rolling road figure of only 117bhp at the wheels... was gutted at the time..

we removed the filter and temporily tie-wrapped a Westfield filter that was lying around while at Daytuner and it got to 161bhp with 96lbs of torque.... Damian (top bloke) expected a bit more torque, but the power figures were ok... so maybe a wee bit more to come...

so the result of my long post is that I dont really know yet... it does pick up its feet but definately isnt breathing properly yet... so it could be scary quick....

I am fitting an ITG filter ££££'s ... and one of the MNR scoops to let it breath better... the exhaust is also leaking badly out of both ends of the can after being bodged to get it through the sva, but I am getting another one made.... so should I know in a few weeks time what it will be like and I maybe a bit more used to it by then...

Cheers
Paul

paublo999

posted on 1/10/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Timc - as for Libra... it looks like all bec's will end up in Libra in 2010 anyway... as the MSA dont plan to recognise any bike engines variants as cars hence being dumped in libra...

TimC

posted on 1/10/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Timc - as for Libra... it looks like all bec's will end up in Libra in 2010 anyway... as the MSA dont plan to recognise any bike engines variants as cars hence being dumped in libra...

Ah well, I'll just be a trend setter then with my slicks etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.