Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seats... your opinions...
Findlay234

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
seats... your opinions...

Hi having a look at some seating choices. What are peoples view on these....

Cobra roadster 7 style:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170267216238

Fibreglass seats:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270281644054

Or triton's fibreglass seats.

Any views? Especially from people who've used/sat in both types.

Cheers
Fin

BenB

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the Cobra style seats are quite weighty and the padding can mean that the seats are quite narrow.

Fibreglass seats, meanwhile are lighter and take up less of the available space (ie it leaves more room for a big backside!!).

Personally I went for Aliminium Kirkey racing seats. Some padding (comfy for long distances) and light.
Only downside= $$$$$$$$

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I preferred the grp ones, that’s why I sold my roadster seats, the grp seats are strangely more comfy and of course completely rain proof so long as you drill a small hole in the bottom a few kg’s of weight saving but not all that much, I like too the way the grp seats protect your sides and back in a crash, mine are double walled lower down and I’m sure they’d take a fair few blows from a large hammer before failing, handy in a car like a 7 that has not much side protection.

I'd also add that there's not much width where your legs rest on the roadster seat and I found mine rested on the side supports rather than on the middle cushion which got a tad sore after a while, oh and I've only got a 30 inch waist so I'm not even that big, though Miss Whippy wouldn't agree.

[Edited on 1/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
K999NNY

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have tritons fibreglass seats. While I dont have them fitted to the car yet I can vouch for how comfy they are to sit on in the living room.
Humbug

posted on 1/10/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I went for Westfield sports seats - padded, built in headrests and side "wings". They are comfy and seem to be a bit more wraparound that Cobra Roadsters. I did consider the fibreglass ones but decided against... I think if I was doing it again I might get the f/g ones with some padding, to get (hopefully) the best of both worlds.
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/10/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
I went for Westfield sports seats - padded, built in headrests and side "wings". They are comfy and seem to be a bit more wraparound that Cobra Roadsters. I did consider the fibreglass ones but decided against... I think if I was doing it again I might get the f/g ones with some padding, to get (hopefully) the best of both worlds.

It is amazing just how comfy these kind of grp seats really are, when I bought mine I was going to get them trimmed but I have no padding on mine at all (MK ones) and 2 seconds sitting in them and you’re a snug as anything, quite warm too. If you tilt them back slightly on the seat mounts they get even better.

[Edited on 1/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 1/10/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I went for fiberglass seats, suited my car more and as said, totally rainproof.

Which was just as well, I got back from one run with an insh of water in the car!

Cheers

Ian

whitestu

posted on 1/10/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Cobra Roadsters and find them very comfy.

I tried sitting in a car with fibreglass seats at MK, but they were much too narrow at the hips for me. [I'm 13 stone so not fat]. I'm sure they must come in different widths though.

Depending on how tall you are, the thinness of the backs of glass seats will give another inch or too of legroom.

Like others have said the Cobras weigh quite a bit.

Stu

[Edited on 1/10/08 by whitestu]

[Edited on 1/10/08 by whitestu]

Findlay234

posted on 1/10/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
so im guessing if you put in the fibreglass seats you wont be able to transport the more portly passengers.

Does anyone have any indeas about the fibreglass seats in that link?

Cheers

Jubal

posted on 1/10/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234 so im guessing if you put in the fibreglass seats you wont be able to transport the more portly passengers.

That's not true. I don't know which seats the other poster tried but my MK seats are very commodious. Good job too as anyone who knows me will testify!

bbwales

posted on 1/10/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have the f/g seats supplied by a guy from Southport, they have a thin padding which is also waterproof. I find the seats very comfortable and can do a trip of 150 miles plus without stopping. I also have to add that I am not exactly thin, I have a 36" waist.

Regards

Bob

adam1985

posted on 1/10/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
i was after some cobra 7 seats i think they look mint but i dont like those replica ones i ended up getting grp mainly becauce they came at a good price i have also seen pads on ebay that can be cut to fit the grp seats to make them more comfy if wanted
scotty g

posted on 1/10/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Those GRP seats in the link look like they are copies of the MK ones or at least VERY VERY similar. (IMHO)<disclaimer]
I don't like the way the back reinforcing bit is only glued on, i prefer it when they are actually glassed on, it makes the whole thing much much stiffer. I know that Triton and GTS do this but don't know about MK.
Cheers

RK

posted on 2/10/08 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
MK's are glued together. They are actually quite solid. I've seen and sat in them. I've got Triton's, but other than a spin around the block I don't know what they'd be like on long trips. I do know a friend came over to watch me on the build and fell asleep in the driver's seat. He's a big guy too (6'1" at least).

[Edited on 2/10/08 by RK]

Triton

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I know it goes against the grain but it is surprising how comfortable fibre glass seats are if they are the right shape..

Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of the Cobra 7 seats at the moment but if I need to replace them then I will get a pair of Tritons. Tried one at Stoneleigh and found it to be more comfortable than the Cobras
simoto

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

I have the f/g seats supplied by a guy from Southport, they have a thin padding which is also waterproof. I find the seats very comfortable and can do a trip of 150 miles plus without stopping. I also have to add that I am not exactly thin, I have a 36" waist.

Regards

Bob

Another vote for the above, and the same waist size, blush. Choice of waterproof covering and mounts included. Also sva trim provided to me in case required later. All for 75 a chair or summat. They have a bike powered mini too so deserve the business imo.

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

DavidW

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simoto
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

Regards

Bob

Another vote for the above, and the same waist size, blush. Choice of waterproof covering and mounts included. Also sva trim provided to me in case required later. All for 75 a chair or summat. They have a bike powered mini too so deserve the business imo.

That sounds cheap. Any more details?

Vindi_andy

posted on 3/10/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
went fo intatrim odysey II which appears to be best of both worlds.

Seat is made of GRP then padded over top

Not much in the way of sides where the legs are but good support at sides of ribs Tried em at stafford after a pair of cobra 7 and found them more comfy.

Will be fitting them over the weekend

Not exactly locost tho at £285 per pair plus runners

RichB

posted on 3/10/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I went for MKs fibreglass ones. Seem pretty comfy and I'm a boney freak. I have seem people make closed cell foam pads for them so you could have the best of both worlds.

Rich

richard thomas

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my Cobra's for Triton's seats. Both very comfy, Triton's are lighter, cheaper and give more room.

IMHO.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.