Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Registration Police Check...Carried Out By Police Man
liamb

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Registration Police Check...Carried Out By Police Man

Well after a successful SVA, I finally managed to get my reg documents in to the DVLA a couple of weeks ago.

They took my money and then informed me that it needed a police check before a reg could be issued. They also said I would be contacted within 72 hours to arrange.

After a week, I phoned the DVLA office and asked what was happening and they said that these checks are now carried out by the actual police and so I would have to wait until they were free.

I don't know about you lot but I live near the tropical paradise of Hull and the police are kept just a little busy keeping the natives in check so I thought that they must have more important things to do then look at kit cars.

Evidently they agreed as I hear nothing more for another week!

But would you believe it, today I got a call from a genuine policeman asking to look at my car at lunch time.

When he turned up, he informed me that he was from the vehicle crime investigation division and his primary job is inspecting cars that are in serious accidents or suspected to include stolen parts.

He was a very nice guy and we chatted about cars and there was no real problem but apparently, the reason they are now doing it is that they have decided (at the Beverley DVLA at least) that the DVLA inspectors do not know enough about cars to spot stolen or second hand parts when issuing number plates.

Ultimately, I doubt it will make much difference to most people but it might be useful to know that a police vehicle expert may be checking your car prior to a reg number being issued. At very least, you have to question whether it really is the very best use of police resources!

Liam

BenB

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right- the DVLA inspectors are right numpties!!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
standard practice for years, I must be been infamous as I had 2 coppers come round when I was doing the buggy

pair of them hadn’t a clue about cars either

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
standard practice for years, I must be been infamous as I had 2 coppers come round when I was doing the buggy

Sounds like your average copper

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liamb
It might be useful to know that a police vehicle expert may be checking your car prior to a reg number being issued. At very least, you have to question whether it really is the very best use of police resources!

better have them doing that than operating speed traps.

K999NNY

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Sounds like your average copper

Cheers for that

Howlor

posted on 9/10/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a couple of them 2 years ago now. Really nice guys, a cup of tea in their hands and a chat soon sorted everything!

Steve

James

posted on 9/10/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liamb
DVLA inspectors do not know enough about cars to spot stolen or second hand parts when issuing number plates.

Isn't it only an issue if you're going for a 'new' numberplate then?

And I think it'd take quite some policing qualifications to spot if my diff was stolen or not!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MakeEverything

posted on 11/10/08 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Sounds about right- the DVLA inspectors are right numpties!!!

So are half the coppers ive met when it comes to cars and bikes!
Theres an old saying.... Stick to what youre good at! (hence i dont build cars for a living!!)

In all seriousness, we pay a lot for an SVA inspection, taxes for the old bill, and money for the parts (most of which are plus VAT), then road tax once complete... blah blah blah. You know where im going with that, but my original point i wanted to make, was;

2 x police vehicl crime officers = £35k each
Base this on an average 40h week with 4 weeks holiday = £18.23 per hour (each)

For a two hour visit, it has cost the local taxpayer £72.92 for a friendly chat!!?

Is it really efficient use of local authority resources on trying to locate unlocatable parts? Sounds like there might be an alterior motive to me....

Just because i might be paranoid, it doesnt mean they're not out to get me....

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.