Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R No spark
Andy W

posted on 11/1/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R No spark

I'm tryed to get my ZX9 engine running but can't get a spark. I have shorted the Brown, White & Grey ignition wires, with a 100ohm resistor between the white & Grey. The clutch switch has the Black & yellow from the black connector connected to the yellow and green in the block with two wires. The engine turns over when I short the Red & Black with the Red & White in the r/hand switch gear. I have tryed connecting the yellow & black clutch wire to the mint green one as MK9R's, but the engine won't turn over. I have also tryed the sidestand both shorted and un-shorted. Any help would be most welcome
Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know if it makes any differance but the grey wire which you have put the 100 ohm resistor in is normaly switched the the ignition, therefore it might be better to connect the grey with its resistor to the brown, so as you switch the ignition on the ECU gets it signals at the right time.
I might be barking up the wrong tree but the resistor is there as an anti theft device.
Let us know how you get on, I am about to get mine running soon ( doing wiring) so any reply welcome.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

MK9R

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you made sure the box is in neutral??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Also check your connections, we had a bad connection on the short between the clutch terminals

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
To remove the clutch and neutral devices you could just ground the green/black wire to the ECU.

Gordon

MK9R

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I tried this when i was altering the loom and it didn't seem to work, so i just ended up earthing the clutch (mint green wire) and the side stand (can't rember what colour that was)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Austen
Did you leave the neutral interlocked to the ignition.

Gordon

PS you shouldnt be on here you should be finishing your web pages

MK9R

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
lol!! Not a lot to do at work so will do some more today, its September and october that i can't be arsed to do as its all about fibreglassing! I may just put a link to Guttersons ramblings

I've kept the neutral interlock as i think its a good idea.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ive kept my neutral interlock, just thought Id check. Seems a good safeguard.

Bit off subject but have you finished your areoscreen.

Gordon

MK9R

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
funny you ask, someone else u2u'ed me about them this morning. Due to the build slowing down it will be the end of febuary before we are ready to knock any out. The mould is finished but the pillars aren't even designed yet (apart from in our head!). I've had problem with getting the seats made aswell, so they are running behind aswell.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Its always the same, work keeps getting in the way of the build.

Please Email me or post when its ready.

Gordon

Now hows Andy doing with his electrics

Andy W

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Spark Update

Thanks for the advice, just an update of tonights efforts. I thought I had it sorted, I had picked up the feed to starter switch from the front brake light switch so had no power to the coils. I then took the power for the starter relay from the red, after connecting the other red to the brown & white which goes to the stop button, this then gave me +12v to the coils. I felt fairly confident, but the result was the same as before no spark. Tryed then swapping the wire with the resistor to the brown & grey, the engine would not turn over at all then, so I think the resistor should be between the white & grey. Then tryed earthing the green/black to the ecu this had no effect. I'm now a bit lost, what I have found is that the mint green clutch wire allready seems to be earthed through the neutral switch, but if I earth it through the black/yellow in the 9 pin plug the engine won't turn over at all.

Andy

Mk-Ninja

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Right, let start from scratch. Have you got a wiring diagram. If not let me know and Ill send/Email you one. What model is the engine.

Heres a run through things just as an aid.

The ECU gets ignition voltage from the brown/white wire and from the grey wire plus 100ohm.
It also gets start voltage from black/red.
The outputs to the coils are Red/White, Blue/White, Green/White,& Yellow/White.
The coils get voltage with the Red wire from the stop switch.
The ECU has 2 earth connections both Black/Yellow.
Now the interlocks
The Green/White should be earthed
The Lime Green should be earthed
The Green/Yellow should be either earthed or connected to the Lime Green.

I asume you have the wires connected to the Coil Pickup ie Yellow & Black/White from the ECU
And to the Throttle position sensor (if fitted)

With the above connections you should get a spark, if not we'll have to start some diagnostics.

Let us know

Gordon

Andy W

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help, it confirmed I was on the right track. Tonight I decided to start from scratch. I replced all the connections I had done on the safety circuits, (I must of checked this half a dozen times) turned the engine over and it sparked. (I suspect the side stand switch)
I may be be going to MK on saturday to collect my prop shaft, so may see some of you there

Cheers Andy

Mk-Ninja

posted on 14/1/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Great to hear that its OK Keep us posted with your progress. Im hoping to get mine running in the next week or so
fingers crossed.

Sorry wont be at MK this weekend, please pass on my regards to Martin.

Gordon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.