Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aftermarket ecu mbe,dta omex,emmerald
donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
aftermarket ecu mbe,dta omex,emmerald

hi im lookin for an after market ecu mbe ,dta,omex,emerald it has to be sequensial or semi ive tryed flee bay but the prices are astracomical and i know before ayone says you only get what you pay for but for some of us on a budget have to scrimp and scrape. some one out there must have one gathering dust on the shelf
mark chandler

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
VEMS is like megasquirt but sequential.

Why the demand for sequential!

mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt is the Locost way. You can get made up kits from this guy

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/index.htm

It's what I plan to do when I get nearer the time

John

triumphdave

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Adaptronic ECU gathering dust in the cupboard It seems pretty impressive looking at the website,but I think I will hang onto it a bit longer just in case I get around to wiring it up to the GSXR750 TB's I also have gathering dust.I suppose there is always the Megasquirt route if you want to do it on the cheap.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

clairetoo

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote from me for megasquirt - it's not the easiest of ECU's to set up , but it sure is locost
And please tell - why the need for sequential ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
HI MARK IM RUNNING AN MBE SYSTEM AT THE MOMENT BUT IT HAS BATCH INJECTION AND IT SEEMS TO USE LOADS OF FUEL AND IT ALMOST ALWAYS BACKFIRES WHEN YOU START IT UP NOT WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOUR IN A FILLING STATION AND I THINK THAT A SEQENTIAL SYSTEM SHOULD BE MORE FUEL ECON,BETTER RUNNING ,MORE RESPONSIVE ETC ETC
mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donn006
HI MARK IM RUNNING AN MBE SYSTEM AT THE MOMENT BUT IT HAS BATCH INJECTION AND IT SEEMS TO USE LOADS OF FUEL AND IT ALMOST ALWAYS BACKFIRES WHEN YOU START IT UP NOT WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOUR IN A FILLING STATION AND I THINK THAT A SEQENTIAL SYSTEM SHOULD BE MORE FUEL ECON,BETTER RUNNING ,MORE RESPONSIVE ETC ETC

Sounds like your sstem needs accurate mapping, rather than replacing.....

and your shift key is stuck down too

John

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
the map im using is practably a standard one as am running a standard engine only mod is im using gsxr throttle boddies and original vx injectors
big_wasa

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I also think that all you need is to have it maped on a rolling road.

Put it this way if you change it and its cheap give me a shout.

mark chandler

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Most injected cars used batch injection up to around 1995 so this should not be an issue.

First thing is to fault what you have, are the injectors to large for your car or in bad order? Leaky injectors will drip fuel into the inlet which could cause poor running issues and bad economy, as will good injectors if the fuel rail is over pressured.

I would strip back what you have, verify each item, re-assemble and remap. This includes compression testing of engine, plugs leads etc, the last item you fiddle with is fuel.

Regards Mark

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
hi mark the system im useing is a standard engine the only mod is a set of gsxr throttle boddies on a standard cut down maniffoldand standard injectors im also running an mbe ecu with a nearly standard map
mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
hi mark the system im useing is a standard engine the only mod is a set of gsxr throttle boddies on a standard cut down maniffoldand standard injectors im also running an mbe ecu with a nearly standard map

Yes, but what is the condition of each and every component? And if you check everything carefully and everything is perfect, and it is still running as badly as you say, then what will be left but the mapping?

I think it sounds as if you are hearing hoofbeats, and you are thinking Zebras

John

chasmon

posted on 12/10/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm afraid you're system is way from standard!

The ECU is using TPS to gauge how open the throttles are. You have individual throttle bodies that allow much more air in on small openings and flow more overall compared to the original set-up.

The engine map will be way different from a standard one just for these reasons.

Example: 10% throttle your system might now be allowing anything up to twice as much air in causing to run extremely lean... Even if your map was for jenveys you'd see this as GSXR throttle bodies have a much less progressive opening.

HTH

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
aftermarket ecu

hi again lets start at the begining my set up is a standard engine ,gsxr throttle boddies mbe 956 ecu with a standard map for a c20xe with jenvey throttle boddies t5he problem im haveing is that the engine starts ok but backfires just after i turn the key whether it be out of the exhaust or air filter then it starts and runs okexcept when trying to drive under 30 then it chuggs but you can smell the fuel and when you fill the tank up (about £25) then you will only get about 15 miles then it will be empty again which i think because it is batch injection then im useing three times the amount of fuel as the other three cylinders are filling up as well
clairetoo

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say you are well wide of the mark - I have a V6 running batch injection , and it is'nt using 6 times more fuel than it should
Your set-up sound's way too rich - the back-fire is probably caused by the priming pulse being too large , and raw fuel being injected straight out the exhaust (one cylinder is probably on `overlap` as you turn it on)
Sounds like you need it mapping - any idea what sort of plug colour you are getting ?

[Edited on 12/10/08 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
plug colour is as usual if anthing i would have said a little lean
rusty nuts

posted on 12/10/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
No point in running a standard map on what is in effect a modified engine . With individual T/Bs instead of a single T/B the air flow is completely different without even taking the air filter assembly into consideration. Get yourself a copy of Dave Walkers book on engine management or better still as already suggested get it to a rolling road session. With your fuel consumption you will recover the costs very quickly and are less likely to damage the engine
MikeRJ

posted on 12/10/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the others, unless you have a serious fuel leak then you almost certainly have a fundamental problem with the set up of the current system which needs to be investigated ASAP.

If £25 worth of fuel is only getting you 15 miles, then you car is returning an average of 3mpg. That is worse than supercars and 44 tone HGVs, and I'm actually surprised the engine will even run with that much fuel being pushed through it. In any case I'd advise not to drive it whilst it's like this as it will be suffering from bore wash.

Sequential injection buys you small improvements in economy at part throttle, but it was mostly introduced for emissions reasons. You only get fully sequential operation at low RPM anyway, at high RPM the injection pulses overlap so much you effectively have batch injection again.

donn006

posted on 12/10/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
cheers everyone for your input i now think i will stick with the ecu i have got ill try and get another map more suited to my setup then get it rollin roaded thanks again everyone what would us novices do without yous all
mr henderson

posted on 12/10/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
cheers everyone for your input i now think i will stick with the ecu i have got ill try and get another map more suited to my setup then get it rollin roaded thanks again everyone what would us novices do without yous all

Why not just take it to a decent rolling road and let them map it?

donn006

posted on 13/10/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
hi i would rather have it someware near before i took for rollin road as dont want to get there and feel a real plonker
Jenko

posted on 14/10/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Also check fuel pressure.....

Have not read through the entire post, but from what I can gather, people are talking complete sense....Batch firing or even semi sequential (using 2 injectors) will be fine....

If you can, get your hands on a copy of the engine mamagement book by Haynes. It will really help.....

As the engine starts and runs, we can assume the timing is almost there...But sounds like the engine is far too rich.

Ideally, if you are not going to go to a rolling road, you will need some sort of AFR reading to get yourself in the ball park as to what your fuel is doing.......Without this, you really cannot continue....Any wide band systems will do, Techedge, innovate, jaw, etc....

donn006

posted on 15/10/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
aftermarket ecu

hi i dont know what a afr is and my fuel pressure is 3bar
mr henderson

posted on 15/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
hi i dont know what a afr is

You really do need to get to a rolling road!

John

Schrodinger

posted on 15/10/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
hi i would rather have it someware near before i took for rollin road as dont want to get there and feel a real plonker

When you get to the rolling road they will adjust the timing and fuelling and it wont matter one bit to them whether it is by a tiny fraction or by the bucket load. Take the car to a RR quickly before the overfuelling wrecks the engine.

Also the Jenveys and the bike TBs will have some pretty different flow/progression characteristics so would need a somewhat different map, the length of the inlet tract, the position of the injectors and therefore where the injectors spray ar all likely to be different so the map would need to be changed.

[Edited on 15/10/08 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.