Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How flexible is bodyfiller?
tegwin

posted on 14/10/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
How flexible is bodyfiller?

Basically as title.... How flexible is bodyfiller?...If I put it on a thin fibreglass body panel will it stay inplace or just crack of as soon as the panel flexes?....

What is the best filler to use to fill holes, both interms of stickyness and finish?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/10/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend you use this stuff, and then put the thinnest skim of filler over it or use a filler primer. Extremely strong and won't crack or fall off.

Used it once to fill a dent in a friends car door, years later when the car got written off, we took a hammer to it and pounded the crap out the door to see if the filler would come of, it didn't and we practically turned the door inside out .

[Edited on 14/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 14/10/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
It depends, if you want to get it off something then you can bend it in two and it wont crack, but you can bet on your well prepared job it will crack.

As Mr W says P40 is pretty good stuff, I've recently tried Isopon Metalik, very pleased with it you can even wet flat it and it doesn't absorb the water like ordinary fillers do. I used it on an MGC bonnet, needed about 2mm over a massive area and its worked really well, and the bonnet flexes as it would in the raw.....

[Edited on 14/10/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
How big is the hole you're going to fill? I removed the ariels from the roof on my ex-AA VW van leaving 4 holes between 25 & 40mm. I tapped the edges of the holes low a couple of mm with a ball-pein hammer & took the paint off around it with a soft disc in my 4 1/2" grinder. I used bridging filler (ready mixed fibreglass resin & strands) & once that was set I used conventional bodyfiller to make it perfect.
I could have welded the holes up but reckoned it'd cause distortion & ordinary bodyfiller on it's own would have cracked I think.
If you're using it on a fibreglass panel then it'll bond with the panel like it was all the original material.
It's not so good to work with as normal bodyfiller & takes much longer to properly cure though.

tegwin

posted on 14/10/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The hole.....is about 70cm x 45cm

I have layed up a 2mm thick fibreglass sheet which I am going to bond to the inside of the roof....

On that I can lay more fibreglass to "fill" the hole in the roof to bring it up almost level with the final roofline....then fill the rest...

Its just going to be a pain in the arse sanding it down to the correct curve.....its a seriously awkward shape!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.