Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to show that I am married.......
trogdor

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
How to show that I am married.......

Hi again,

I am looking for some ideas and possibly for some good leads.

I got married this year in Feb on the 29th, but i am having problems with wearing my wedding ring, I knew my skin reacted badly to cheap plastic watches and rings but i have found out it will also react to gold rings too.

Well i don't react to the gold but the sweat that collects under it. After a couple months I had to take the ring off because I had open sores around my finger, not nice.

Anyway I really want there to be some way that shows I'm married, some peeps have said wear the ring on a necklace around your neck. Theres two probs with that, one its abit lord of the rings and two I think i would also have a reaction eventually there too.

So if anyone has any ideas that would be great, but my main plan is to get a tattoo where my ring would be on my finger, basically my wifes name and the date is the idea. I would be able to cover it up with my ring if needed.

However I have been to two tattoo parlours, and neither are keen to tattoo the finger, its difficult to do apparently though i have seen piccies of tattooed fingers on the web. So If anyone knows a good tattoo place that would do fingers in the north west or elsewhere then i would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Hammerhead

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
My finger didn't like being married and I got sores under where the ring sits. I just pushed through the discomfort and now it's fine. Took a year or so to be ok.

My ring is platinum so don't know if this is less reactive. I reckon it's just the sweat ducts getting blocked and then blistering, which you then itch which breaks the skin. Sounds right?

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think the tattoo is a very good idea tbh, never though of that

considering where some people get tattoo's a finger doesn't sound difficult at all amazed they have objected

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerheadit's just the sweat ducts getting blocked and then blistering, which you then itch which breaks the skin. Sounds right?

oh gross

[Edited on 16/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the kind of thing, I took my ring off about 4 months ago and its only really finished healing now, still not quite there yet.

Not sure if i would be able to push through it it got really bad, was abit worried about my finger!

Stott

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
my wedding ring is palladium (like platinum) and a court cut so it's 'rounded' on the underside, (oval in section) and I find it's great. Apparantly palladium is the most hypoallergenic material, although I only got it cos it's hard and doesn't require plating ever.

The court cut also doesn't allow for sweat and dirt build up like a d section ring does

Hammerhead

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
my wedding ring is palladium (like platinum) and a court cut so it's 'rounded' on the underside, (oval in section) and I find it's great. Apparantly palladium is the most hypoallergenic material, although I only got it cos it's hard and doesn't require plating ever.

The court cut also doesn't allow for sweat and dirt build up like a d section ring does

yeah, mines oval aswell, i guess less surface area touching the finger also works.

r1_pete

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Drill cooling holes in you ring

No I know thats not at all helpfull, but locost and almost on a car theme....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Drill cooling holes in you ring

No I know thats not at all helpfull, but locost and almost on a car theme....

or get a wavy ring like brake disks so dirt and sweat is swept off when it rotates

like this in gold...

[Edited on 16/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

nick205

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Titanium wedding band which is also court cut (not that I knew the term for it before now). Very very light and no build up of sweat behind it either. Might be worth lookin for an alternative material and/or desin of ring.

I'm not surprised the tattoists are shying away from your finger. I think you'll struggle to find a reputable artist who'll mark above the collar or below the cuff.

I have tatoos elsewhere, but personally I wouldn't consider adding names, dates etc, especially to such visible parts of the body.

ken555

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Heatshrink on you finger might work
trogdor

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
oooh there are some interesting thoughts there!

I have spoken to a few tattooists including ones recommended to me and they don't do fingers for serveral reasons,

They don't like doing tattoos anywhere permanently visible unless you have some already.

And apparently tattoos on the fingers are very likely to fade and break up within a few months. So they couldn't guarantee it.

My ring is a flat band so maybe a oval crosssection one would be better. Not keen on changing the ring tho.

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
how to show you are married?

take out your wallet and show its contents!!

tattoo with name on finger is only a good idea if wife no.2 and no.3 will have the same name, which is quite unlikely statistically.

smart51

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I stopped wearing my wedding ring after about a year because it annoyed the hell out of me. For the last 11 years, I just haven't worn one. I'm no less married without it.
trogdor

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah some other people have said names are not a good idea, but thats what butchers knives are for! or more realistically a burn removal thing.

TBH i am really struggling finding a artist that will do it. Not sure what to do about it, I am considering getting a tattoo around my wrist maybe?

eznfrank

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have a titanium ring too with no problems. I also have a few tattoos - which by the way can be very addictive - anyway I think with tattooing fingers the problem is that to get the details the writing has to be so fine that it's a bit too tricky to do and make it last.
omega0684

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
how about a t-shirt that says I'M MARRIED! sorry couldn't resist.

why not just not wear a ring, there is no law that says you have to. (unless the wife is the town marshall of course)

smart51

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
My ring is a flat band so maybe a oval crosssection one would be better. Not keen on changing the ring tho.

Go to a jeweler (not just a jewelery retailer) and ask about having a bevel or radius polished onto the inner side.

Is your ring 9 carat or 18 carat? You might be better off with 22 or 24 carat gold. 9 carat gold is mostly copper, having only 37.5% gold content.

balidey

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Red dot in the centre of the forehead

Also heard of (possibly old wives tale) of spraying a ring with hair spray before putting it on.

How about a necklace with it on?

One of those plastic fashion victim wrist bands saying 'married'

Look at other womens breasts / arse

[Edited on 16/10/08 by balidey]

[Edited on 16/10/08 by balidey]

PeterW

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
you probably have a nickel allergy.

you can be tested by a dermatologist for this, and if you are then either a platinum or other rare metal ring is the way forward.

just a word of caution though, I crushed my wedding ring onto my finger lifting an engine and I managed to get it off before my finger swelled up. I have been warned that the current fashion for titanium rings gives a few issues in hospitals when they try and cut them off in these circumstances....

Cheers

Peter

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've been married nigh on 25 years and have hardly ever worn my wedding ring. Mostly due to safety and work reasons. It now has not fitted me for over 15 years.
People will know you are married without it. The signs are easily spotted
1 You look downtrodden
2 You easily angered
3 You can't make your own mind up
4 You've no money (of your own)
5 You need permission to buy anything car related
6 THE SEX STOPS

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
interesting thread, I have a related problem

i have a white gold ring which requires rhodium plating every 18 months or so, I also have our names and the date engraved around the inside.

Heres the problem, since i got sick i have lost maybe 4 1/2 stone and the ring flies off when ever i wave my hand. Normally jewelers can take a ring in, they all have a "join" which can be desoldered and resized. The engraving is right over the join though.

I'm left with a ring im frightened to wear and im not sure what to do. I dont really want a new one

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
interesting thread, I have a related problem

Heres the problem, since i got sick i have lost maybe 4 1/2 stone and the ring flies off when ever i one-to-one moment with myself.

I'm left with a ring im frightened to wear and im not sure what to do. I dont really want a new one

duck tape?

or like this.

[Edited on 16/10/08 by 02GF74]

Agriv8

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I had the Same problem here I just take it off every night at the same time as the watch and all seems fine ( well the last 4 years anyway ).

If I keep it on for more that a week my skin under the ring will go very red and start itching & peeling

My Mate who is a BIG spanners mechanic for a recycling Company wares his on a chain arround his neck.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

trogdor

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible i have a nickel allergy as my sister has been tested for it and it came back positive, her reaction is much worse tho.

I also now can't wear belts with metal in them as it causes a reaction too. Am wearing a camera strap at the mo

My ring is a 18 caret white gold, which i think means it rhodium plated? It is scuffed already, I didn't like taking it off as i was paranoid i would lose it. So i wore it while working on the car, not a good idea.

There are some good ideas here, really appreciate it, plus the comedy ones too!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

I got married this year in Feb on the 29th

Cunning plan!! So your 1st wedding aniversary is in 2012!!! Great LocostBuilders thinking there - more money for cars rather than poxy presents for the missus!!!

Must remember that one if i find a girl dumb enough to marry me!!

[Edited on 16/10/08 by Paul TigerB6]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.