Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Haven't had time... yeah, pull the other one
mr henderson

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't had time... yeah, pull the other one

I've been looking for a donor Mondeo for some time now, and I keep coming across the same guff over and over.

One of my favourites is "haven't had time to get it MOT'd, but it should pass OK"

Why don't they just say what it failed on? It may well be that it's something that won't frighten the buyer, or do they really think that people believe them?

Maybe they do. I don't.

I don't actually need an MOT'd car but I would like to know what it failed on.

Last time I bought a donor I found out shortly afterwards, by going on the appropriate website, just what it failed on (all stuff that didn't matter to me as it happened) but it was amusing to remember how the guy had lied to my face about it. And he seemed like a proper person too.

Another one that get's me is stuff like "it could do with such and such doing, I've got the parts and will fit them before the auction ends if I get time

In other words, no he won't fit them, that'll be up to the buyer, if there is one

John

Humbug

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean... my other thought is, if it really "should pass OK" why don't they get it done? On the assumption that they are not selling it as a donor but as a runner, it's got to be worth a few extra bob to the buyer to not have the hassle.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
We had the same when we looked for the rust to rome cars.....turned up some real crackers of mondeos.... one was an ex taxi that was still road legal who did the mot stevie wonder

The Great Fandango

posted on 16/10/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Two years ago I picked up my present commute-a-wagon (a pretty good example of a 1998 2.0l Mondeo Si) for £600.

In 24 months (and 38,000 miles) of ownership I have only spent just under £250 in repairs/servicing. The thing even ran dry of oil for three weeks! Air-con, electric windows, heated front windscreen - all still works fine! (touch wood)

Can't help but think...

(i) what a bloody stonking engine it is - pulls so well even attached to a heavy old Mondeo

and

(ii) If I removed and cleaned the engine/ancillaries wouldn't they alone be worth more than what I paid for the car?!?

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

BenB

posted on 16/10/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a website for finding out what a car has failed it's MOT on then? My new car had an advisory and I'm keen to find out what it was (the MOT was included in the sales pack but not the advisory!!)...
mr henderson

posted on 16/10/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Is there a website for finding out what a car has failed it's MOT on then? My new car had an advisory and I'm keen to find out what it was (the MOT was included in the sales pack but not the advisory!!)...

Yes there is, it's one of the official .gov ones. You need the number off the V5 or the tax renewal notice IIRC.

Can't remember the actual site I'm afraid

John

rayward

posted on 16/10/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
www.motinfo.gov.uk

you need the reg number and v5 serial number (or MOT serail number)

the last tintop i bought, i asked the seller for the v5 serial number to complete my HPI check, imagine her surprise when i pointed out the rear section of the exhaust had been pulled as an advisory before i;d even seen the car!!!!

Ray

mongrelwestie

posted on 16/10/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
i found a nice red one last year on ebay with no mot bought it for a £1.00 rebuilt the engine and binned the rest! there are some bargains out there if you hunt, or are just lucky!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.