Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the best Sat Nav
MikeR

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the best Sat Nav

Having gotten lost trying to get to site this morning i've decided that i can't trust my mk1 sense of direction, google maps and luck.

So whats the best sat nav.

Probably looking around 100 quid. Would like something that i can load speed camera database onto, that works, does full post code look up and if it did the traffic re-routing that would be nice.

Preferably without having to spend lots of yearly updates.

afj

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
TOM TOMS always fair well
DarrenW

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I love my TomTom. Ive got the one version which i think is the cheapest. Doesnt do Europe but UK is great. Mine is 3 years old some some maps are a bit out of date, hopefully new software isnt. Its very easy to use, does post codes and town centres as well as others that i never use.

Ive heard of other people getting cheaper sat nav units and loading them with tomtom software but dont know how to do that (Coozer is one person that springs to mind).

I think some phones do it now as well.

tomgregory2000

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
my vote go to garmin NUVI 250w(i think) ive got the widescreen version with the whole of europe on it, best money ever spent

Pick me

[Edited on 21/10/08 by tomgregory2000]

whitestu

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I was after the same so bought a Garmin Streetpilot C 510t for £99. It works really well, has camera database, diversion etc. Its a bit bulky but the upside is it is robust and the battery lasts ages on a full charge so I don't have to plug it in much in the car.

They are now about £70.

It also came with Europe maps.

Stu

[Edited on 21/10/08 by whitestu]

fesycresy

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
There's a new Tom Tom for £129 in Halfords at the moment with all the latest maps. Just looking for one myself for the wife.

I've the 910 which has Europe and the States on it. It saves me loads of time every week getting to sites.

I have no sense of direction and often forget where I parked the bloody car

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Agriv8

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Running Tom tom om my PDA.

and it has paid for itself in saved time and as for avoiding points on drivign licence !!!! PS dont by the camera updates from Tom Tom by them from GPS world.

regards

[Edited on 21/10/08 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I had a cheapo halfords own, and it was ace. I slammed it in the car door one day and had to replace it.

I bought a NUVI for best part of £180. Its rubbish in comparison. It doesn't announce the name of the A road or motorway, which is a real pain if there are loads of exits from a roundabout. It only says the exit number off the roundabout, this is a problem if they have done a change and the number of exits have changed.

If you miss your turn it often sends you down crazy little back roads, in the past I have ended up down little lanes with grass down the middle.

Apart from that its fine - good speed camera warning, as it only BONGS if you are near the speed limit, if your under it shuts up - much better than sitting in a traffic jam with an air raid siren going off on your dash because of a 60mph speed camera 2 miles ahead.

coozer

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
My vote is for Navigo. Its a cheap sat nav that runs Win CE.NET 5.0 Operating System and can be unlocked and used like a PDA.

However mine is locked back up into sat nav mode as I didn't like the pda thing and only wanted sat nav anyway.

The navigation software is on an SD card so the pda version of Tom Tom 6 is on mine now and its very good imo.

Full 7 digit postcode, shortest or quickest distance etc, then there's photos, video capabilty as well.

I paid £50 for mine but its a little dearer now. Battery life is poor and the only annoying thing I've found is it looses thetime and date if you shut it down or the battery goes flatter than a flat thing.

Navigo

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rost

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely a Tom Tom, the one models aren't expensive and will do the job!

[Edited on 21/10/08 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

RoadkillUK

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
My vote is for Navigo. Its a cheap sat nav that runs Win CE.NET 5.0 Operating System and can be unlocked and used like a PDA.

However mine is locked back up into sat nav mode as I didn't like the pda thing and only wanted sat nav anyway.

The navigation software is on an SD card so the pda version of Tom Tom 6 is on mine now and its very good imo.

Full 7 digit postcode, shortest or quickest distance etc, then there's photos, video capabilty as well.

I paid £50 for mine but its a little dearer now. Battery life is poor and the only annoying thing I've found is it looses thetime and date if you shut it down or the battery goes flatter than a flat thing.

Navigo

Steve

I have one of these Navigo's, I have TomTom and MioMap installed, both are good.

Coozer, the time and date does reset. It will automatically set itself when it get a GPS signal.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK

I have one of these Navigo's, I have TomTom and MioMap installed, both are good.

Coozer, the time and date does reset. It will automatically set itself when it get a GPS signal.

Am I missing something? If I turn it off at the side it looses the date and time. When i use the standby button it keeps them but looses them agian when the battery goes flat.
If i go into the sattelite screen I can see European time but it doesn't update the main screen. Is there a setting anywhere to enable it?

I'm going to have a go upgrading to V7 with the latest map as mine is V6.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mediabloke

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Am I missing something? If I turn it off at the side it looses the date and time. When i use the standby button it keeps them but looses them agian when the battery goes flat.

I had the same problem with my Mio PDA. It's a WM5 thing - even if you don't use ActiveSync, the darn thing switches itself on to try & sync your Outlook whenever you plug anything into the USB port.

The answer's a bit convoluted, but you end up setting it to sync manually. Can dig out my pda and give you the details if that'd help?

[Edited on 21/10/08 by mediabloke]
And here you go:

Start up ActiveSync on your device.
Tap the menu tab/soft-key and tap "Add Server Source"
Configure a server source with a dummy IP address. Click Next
Enter any random user id, password and domain name; these do not have to be real. Click Next and click Finish.
Click Cancel if a login prompt appears, to return to the main ActiveSync screen.
Once configured, another sync source will show on your main ActiveSync screen.
Tap the menu soft-key again and you should see that the sync schedule option is no longer greyed out.
Click Schedule and select "Manually" from both Sync during: Peak time & Off-peak times options. Click OK.
If you try to sync now, AS will try to contact your imaginary exchange server and will take ages to time out.
Click Menu, Options to list your servers. Highlight "Exchange Server" and click Delete to remove your dummy exchange server.
The "Manual sync" setting will be saved permanently (or until you change it...).

HTH.

[Edited on 21/10/08 by mediabloke]

K999NNY

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Probably a bit above your budget but I have a Garmin Nuvi 310D. It has an amazing amount of features. Dont think you can go wrong with any Garmin.
mcerd1

posted on 21/10/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Having gotten lost trying to get to site this morning i've decided that i can't trust my mk1 sense of direction, google maps and luck.

you just need to upgrade to Mk1.01 sense of direction

mookaloid

posted on 21/10/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
My vote is for the standard Sat Nav fitted in my mates Audi A8

However as it isn't within your budget Tom Tom works ok for me.

Cheers
Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

speedyxjs

posted on 21/10/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
We we have have a a tom tom

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Triton

posted on 21/10/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
So what is wrong with a map book then....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 21/10/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK

If i go into the sattelite screen I can see European time but it doesn't update the main screen. Is there a setting anywhere to enable it?

I'm going to have a go upgrading to V7 with the latest map as mine is V6.

The side button is ON/OFF the top button is standby which will run the battery flat in a short while.

When mine is not in use I turn it off and the battery lasts for months, but I always charge it when it's in the car.

As for setting the time automatically, I assume it's MioMap that does it. I'll have to run TomTom to see if it does the same.

HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

blakep82

posted on 21/10/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
big vote for garmin here. got the 300T (with free traffic updates via RDS)

was less that £100 in tesco a few months back, but was on offer, but was a few months back, so price shold be down a bit by now, and chrsitmas coming up, so maybe on sale again?

[Edited on 21/10/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TOO BADD

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton

Bit of a job finding an address in the dark and the rain with traffic up yer arse. Thats whats wrong with a book.

Benzine

posted on 21/10/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TOO BADD
quote:
Originally posted by Triton

Bit of a job finding an address in the dark and the rain with traffic up yer arse. Thats whats wrong with a book.

Welcome to big school!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

MikeR

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
well normally i hate sat nav, I've always been able to find my way, its just today i tried to turn right at a roundabout coming off the motorway to find out that it wasn't a roundabout and i was stuck on the motorway again.

I then managed to find my way from 1 junction down to site with no maps (so i guess i don't need an upgrade to mk1.01 sense of direction, just a reboot).

geoff shep

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom One V3 - UK and Europe for £100 - Ebuyer. But I see there is a V4 out now.
Triton

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
So those that swear by sat nav never went anywhere before it was invented then....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.