Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Browser Keeps Crashing
trifield

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Browser Keeps Crashing

Hi, I am starting to get really hacked off with my PC....

I am running XP (SP3) IE7 full edition AVG and have all latest windows upgrades.
When browsing the net I am getting mainly mshtml.dll error, but sometimes ntd.dll error or jscript.dll errors. Screen comes up and asks if I want to report the error and then it shuts down the browser.
I have done a fresh install of XP and the fault still occurs. I have tried using IE7 without add-ons and still get the error.
Sometimes I can re-open IE straight away and an error will come up immediately.

I have tried Firefox and still get the same errors.

It seems particularly bad when using ebay for instance yet I hardly get the errors when browsing locostbuilders?
May sound daft but I am wondering if it has something to do with amount of content (picture) on an ebay web page that is doesn't like?
This has been going on for quite a long time and I have been living with it and occasionally 'googling' the fault to see if I could find a solution but with no luck.
I dumped IE7 & reloaded IE6 first as I thought IE7 was the problem. When errors kept appearing I tried Firefox only for the same thing to happen.

So basically I have no idea what to try next?
Any ideas on a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Thnx Neil:

RichardK

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got Messenger Live installed we've been to a few that suffer from a similar fault and uninstalling messenger sorted them.

Make sure you have no toolbars installed but as you have tried running without add ons its doubtfull its this.

You could try re registering these components.

1. Quit all running programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Run the following commands one by one.

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 riched20.dll

4. Restart the computer.

Final idea is to re install jscript available HERE

Just a thought

Rich

[Edited on 21/10/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trifield

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Rich

Thanks for the reply.

Messenger Live is not installed.

These are the results of the RUN commands:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll succeeded

regsvr32 mshtml.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file cannot be registered

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll failed return code was 0x8002801c

regsvr32 browseui.dll suceeded

LoadLibrary ("msjava.dll" failed.
The specifed module could not be found

riched20.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file cannot be registered

Hope this gives you some idea of a solutuion.

Regds, Neil

RichardK

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I would unistall ie7 which takes you back to ie6 and then try to re register those files again. And stick with ie6 for a while to check stability.

I could be the registry is broken as this error 0x8002801c is usually caused by the registry not having the rights to update itself. So if the above does work that would sort of confirm a broken ie7 registry.

Maybe try a clean install again, is it a clean restore or are you using a restore cd from the manuafacturer? Does it come with Norton preinstalled if it is as some versions of Norton are a bit ropey to say the least.

Sorry can't be of any further help, forgot to say that some of the regsvr commands should have failed with ie7 as some of the entrypoints have been removed and this confirmed that your ie7 wasn't using outdated files to me. However ie6 uses them all so should all succeed.

You could do a clean install and check after each software install to see which one cocks it up. Especially if the software has been downloaded

Does it happen more when you go for a drop down box like on ebay? There is a couple of drop down boxes on the LB search page that you can test on.

Cheers Rich

[Edited on 21/10/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
AVG 8.0?

I had this with AVG 8.0 , if you do a search , Mozilla is not compatable with it.

Removed AVG and used Alvira , no more crashing..

britishtrident

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Most likely candidate is SP3 --- it causes enormous problems on some PCs particularly big brand names like HP and Dell.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.