Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cabin boom/buffet in modern cars
Browser

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cabin boom/buffet in modern cars

I don't know whether it's only me and Mrs Browser who have a problem with this, but our last two cars both seem to have suffered with this problem. Seemingly at any speed much above 25mph, if anyone opens just one window the low-frequency noise generated in the cars passenger cabin is very noticeable and, in our current car (a 2000 Cintroen Xsara Picasso) is actually uncomfortable if experienced for more than a few seconds. Cracking open another window, preferably a front one, kills the problem, so I can only assume it is caused (with one window open) by air trying to get into the car creating slighty higher pressure than ambient within the cabin, which then causes the air to reverse direction until the cabin pressure falls below ambient at which point it reverses itself again, creating oscillating pressure and therefore sound waves.
As said before, the first car we noticed it on was the Toyota Carina we owned eight years ago, but I recently drove a new Vauxhall Astra hire car, and the buffet-induced noise in that was so bad it felt like someone slapping the sides of your head!
Anyone else noticed this problem, or is it just us

nitram38

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
You're not driving fast enough!

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mine does it with either or both of the rear windows down. I don't really consider it to be a problem with the climate in this bloody country!!
speedyxjs

posted on 22/10/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I think it happens on your your current car because it is french

[Edited on 22-10-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

dan__wright

posted on 22/10/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
havent been in a car that sodes this in a long time (think my dads on pug 405 did it about 12 years ago)

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

smart51

posted on 22/10/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
My wife's C3 does it if one of the front windows is open by just a small amount. If the window is half open or both front windows are open a bit then it is fine.

Turbulent air flow over the opening causes the air in the car to resonate. Its like blowing over a bottle.

whitestu

posted on 22/10/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Most cars I've had do this. My last Passat was terrible!

I thought all cars did it.

Stu

Peteff

posted on 22/10/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's got to do it with only one window open, the pressure drops inside as air is sucked out with nowhere for it to come back in till you open another window and it equalises. Shut the windows and put the air con on

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Rob Bartley

posted on 22/10/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yep! Get that trouble all the time with most cars. We (as in me & my lovely wife) have nick named it "Helicopters"

I WILL get out again!!

I have a little bit......need more......

Fred W B

posted on 22/10/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I get it too.

Didn’t Mythbusters do an episode once where they provided it was more efficient fuel wise to run with the aircon on, rather than with the window open?

Regards

Fred W b

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

I love speed :-P

posted on 22/10/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Didn’t Mythbusters do an episode once where they provided it was more efficient fuel wise to run with the aircon on, rather than with the window open?

Regards

Fred W b

Not quite, if your going slow ish then its better to have the window open, if your going fast ish then its better to have the air con on. There is a crossover speed where it doesn't matter which one you use but it all depends on the car in question.

i.e. at 30 its probably better to have the window open but at 50/60 better to have the air con on)

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
even my cortina did this, you need out more

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotusmadandy

posted on 22/10/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yup my vauxhall zafira does this with a rear window open slightly.

Andy

02GF74

posted on 22/10/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
not just you, this low frequency is very disturbing - the US used or investigated using it as a weapon in Viet-Nam war.

I first came across this in a jag (not mine) about 20 yrs ago - it happened when the sunroof was openened - jag then put an intermediate stop poisiton for the sunroof to prevent it reaching that posiiton.

to over come this, you owuld need to open different windows or same windows different amounts to "tune" out the problem.

nick205

posted on 22/10/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
.......fascinating

DarrenW

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Its happened to me on several cars. Not pleasant at all.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same 'problem' with my Yaris, and I solve it the same way as most people here - I open the opposite window a gnat's and the oscillation stops.

Mind you - I wouldn't want to do it with manual windows - faffing around reaching across the front seat while motoring along is NOT a good idea!

Rob Palin

posted on 29/10/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to try and minimise this problem on several cars as part of work. Unfortunately it's damn-near impossible without seriously compromising things other people just don't want compromising (including aero people themselves!).

You can treat it more effectively on sunrooves than side windows because you're given more lee-way. Check out the various little deflectors and vortex generators (sometimes looking like mini castle battlements) that pop-up when you open a typical sunroof. That's what all those are there for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.