Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any medical experts - Tramadol
DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Any medical experts - Tramadol

Ive just been prescribed Tramadol 50mg as a pain killer for my own going pain from whiplash. Ive been alerted that these tablets can be addictive and care should be exercised taking them. Im really cautious about tablets. Can anyone confirm if they are OK or should i be wary?

Ive been told to take 1 or 2 tablets 4 times a day when needed. Im planning on trying 1 tablet 3 times a day initially and topping up with paracetamol (i was told taking paracetamol is OK).

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
do you gamble alot? addicted to bingo?

then you could be at risk

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've been taking them for a few months without problems

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

austin man

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have taken tramadol not addicted, its like anything if you start to rely on them then they will be needed that is why the doc has prescribed as and when required. It is sometimes important that you do actually feel the pain as the painkillers will give you a false sense of well being . Best to take only when needed when I first took them I felt as though I was floating I usually take codeine based or Tylex for my back problem the Tramadol is a step up.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

But you were only prescribed them for a week..................

A1

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
just go with what the doctor said...i think they can be addictive, a girl at college od'd on them, was hallucinating and everything...
Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
i think they can be addictive, a girl at college od'd on them, was hallucinating and everything...

Darren, you should take them then....... you never know, your Pinto engine might start to perform like a bike engine!!

Macbeast

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
With respect to everybody on here - isn't your doctor likely to be more expert than us ? Why go to doctor and then ignore his advice?

I would suggest don't mix them (topping up with ... )

Probably most important instruction is "when needed"

bob

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has been taking tramadol for a few months now, she also was concerned about any side effects and doesnt take the full prescribed dosage. She takes one every morning with breakfast and another in the evening if needed.

She was advised that they can reduce your appetite for food which is probably fantastic news for chrisg

MikeR

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore doctors - they know sod all about drugs. Talk to your pharmacist - they know everything (in theory) about drugs.

I do this for a living.

Now, tramadol, its 50mg which is the weakest formulation (the others 100 and 150).

I was going to type out lots of stuff about do and don't - but yoru best bet is to just google it. Try going for the BNF (not sure if you'll have access).

But - avoid alcohol, may cause drowsiness, may cause dependence (not sure without looking up more over what time), potential for withdrawl. I think the dependance is long term - but as i said i haven't looked up, just quickly referenced the software we write for pharmacy. Honestly the information will be on teh web.

In fact, here you go - its good enough for what you want,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

slimtater

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
This is a fairly low dose analgesia when used in oral format. It can be used IM or IV as an alternative to Morphine and this is where you are more likely to see adverse effects.
mads

posted on 24/10/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Take them as prescribed i.e. 1-2 tablets four times a day, when required. Only take them when you find that your regular analgesia i.e. paracetamol isnt sufficient to control your pain. Yes, one of the side-effects can be dependence, but for the condition you are prescribed them, you are not going to be on them long enough for that to occur. I've taken them myself for back and tooth pain and I'm not addicted to them.

The more common side-effects you should note are: increased drowsiness (especially with alcohol), some people complain of hallucinations or feeling zonked out, constipation (though this is likely than codeine).

If you are still concerned, drop me a U2U - i'm a pharmacist.

[Edited on 24/10/08 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

omega0684

posted on 24/10/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Tramadol is an opiod (an opiate)- that is why its addictive, what else do you know is an opiod/opiate -->Heroin!

this may help

Mechanism of action
The mode of action of tramadol has yet to be fully understood, but it is believed to work through modulation of the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems in addition to its mild agonism of the &#956;-opioid receptor. The contribution of non-opioid activity is demonstrated by the analgesic effects of tramadol not being fully antagonised by the &#956;-opioid receptor antagonist naloxone.

Tramadol is marketed as a racemic mixture with a weak affinity for the &#956;-opioid receptor (approximately 1/6000th that of morphine; Gutstein & Akil, 2006). The (+)-enantiomer is approximately four times more potent than the (-)-enantiomer in terms of &#956;-opioid receptor affinity and 5-HT reuptake, whereas the (-)-enantiomer is responsible for noradrenaline reuptake effects (Shipton, 2000). These actions appear to produce a synergistic analgesic effect, with (+)-tramadol exhibiting 10-fold higher analgesic activity than (-)-tramadol (Goeringer et al., 1997).

The serotonergic modulating properties of tramadol mean that it has the potential to interact with other serotonergic agents. There is an increased risk of serotonin syndrome when tramadol is taken in combination with serotonin reuptake inhibitors (e.g. SSRIs) or with use of a light box, since these agents not only potentiate the effect of 5-HT but also inhibit tramadol metabolism. Tramadol is also thought to have some NMDA-type antagonist effects which has given it a potential application in neuropathic pain states.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
24vseven

posted on 24/10/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
i take them for knee pain as required no problems with them at all been on them on and off for 2 years now no problems when the dosage ends
i think like most things its down to the person tho as mentioned befor i dont think there will be a problem short term

[Edited on 24/10/08 by 24vseven]

bigpig

posted on 24/10/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by A1
i think they can be addictive, a girl at college od'd on them, was hallucinating and everything...

Darren, you should take them then....... you never know, your Pinto engine might start to perform like a bike engine!!

Yeah I've heard excessive doses can cause paranoid nightmares

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies. I wasnt asking ref if i have been prescribed correctly, more that i want to know if there are any isues with taking them.

My mother in law was prescribed them recently. She works in Boots and knows the pharmacists, they told her to be careul with them and mentioned that druggies like them. Iam anti-drugs in that way so have been a bit concerned. Some websites mention the withdrawal can be unpleasant, tbh i dont particularly want to find out.

It does however sound like what im using them for should be OK. Ive read into the 'when needed' bit to mean that i dont have to take the full dose each and every day, instead to reserve them for when the neck and back pain needs the edge knocking off.

I can remember when i got my tonsils taken out 2 years ago, i got into a bit o strife with the pain. Doctor gave me an injection that not only took the pain away but also left me feeling rather nice Ive only had 3 Tramadols so far but have felt a bit like that (not as bad). I suppose seeing as i cant drink with the i might as well enjoy them - it is Friday neet after all

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A1

Very funny That made me chuckle.

MikeR

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
i'm a pharmacist.

Sorry for the thread hijack, got to ask, who do you work for / are you locum or an independent?

Lets just say professional curiosity
And if you have anything to do with link I REALLY can't help

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:

Very funny That made me chuckle.

Glad it was taken fully as intended. Cant beat a bit of light-hearted banter can you. Its amazing how many threads you can get the BEC vs CEC debate into if you really try - even if its a totally pointless debate!!

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its a good job i can take a joke, the ne7ers lot give me a lot of stick for the ole pinto. It does its job though.
Its about time someone fitted a pinto into a bike - now that would be a talking point. Personally id be asking if they had been on the Tramadol though

DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
quote:
Originally posted by mads
i'm a pharmacist.

Sorry for the thread hijack, got to ask, who do you work for / are you locum or an independent?

Lets just say professional curiosity
And if you have anything to do with link I REALLY can't help

Dont worry about hijack.
That last bit went straight over my head.

chrisg

posted on 24/10/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

But you were only prescribed them for a week..................

I find they level me out when I'm coming down off heroin..... er ....I mean wurther's originals.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

D Beddows

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Errrr be wary - Mrs Beddows has fibromyalgia and was prescribed these... she was told there was no addiction problem and they worked really well it has to be said.....but a few weeks ago she had a seriously bad couple of weeks coming off them once she figured out she had become addicted
DarrenW

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Im hoping i dont find out what that is like.

How do you know when you become addicted to something? For me id imagine its when i remind myself constantly that its time for another. Normally i forget when to take tablets and wonder why im hurting.

D Beddows

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
She put 2 and 2 together when she realised that she if she forgot to take them of an evening she felt like absolute cr*p until she took another one - took a while because you think it's something you're eating or drinking etc etc

[Edited on 24/10/08 by D Beddows]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.