Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: spark plug advice
Richtiger

posted on 27/10/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
spark plug advice

wanting new plugs for my avon but unsure what type to go for. Im gunna get ngk but they do 3 types standard,fast road and rally. i have a 2.0 litre pinto with twin 40,s and a piper bp300 rally cam. dont use the car for racing but obviously still want optimum performance. should i go for a rally due to the cam or does that make no odds? if you want to reccomend a toally different plug to suit the spec feel free.
TOO BADD

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have used NGK with Paladium tips and are very good starters with carbs as they don't foul up. Never had a problem.
miikae

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi , I have a Piper (M2 300) 300/2 rally cam + a pair Dcoe 40 ,on a 2ltr Pinto , using Bosch DR8BC , equvalant to NGK-APR5FS , Champion RF14Y , Denso -MA16PR-U ,Beru18k-7BU (Z32) , my car was used for Hill climbs before i got it so i have kept the plugs the same and had no problems so far .
Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its all about the temperature that the plugs will run at, if you use the wrong plug you will get worse performance than the standard plug,
I would go for fast road as a good compromise, if you user the rally plugs you would have to ring the cars neck quite a bit to stop the plugs getting to cold.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Richtiger

posted on 27/10/08 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
your set up sounds almost identical to mine miikae i know the engine i have came from a similar hill climb or race car but was replaced by a more powerful unit. so i think ill go for one of the plugs you have mentioned and see how i go. ever found out what bhp you are getting from yours? wondering what mine is packing. maybe in same region.
miikae

posted on 27/10/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Richtiger, Never got round to RR ing it as yet to find out BHP even though a friend just down the road from me has a RR setup and does all the local cars, its damn quick though acceleration wise with its 3.38 diff .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 28/10/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I must warn the Champion RF14YC is not a suitable plug --- it is much too hot (soft) and will over heat.

Champion plug numbers run in the oposite direction from NGK and Bosch with Champion plugs the higher number the hotter (softer) the plug.

The standard Champion plug recommendation for the Pinto engines is RF7YC this is already quite a cold (hard) plug.

flak monkey

posted on 28/10/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I use NGK AP6FS plugs in mine, 1 step cooler than the std pinto plugs.

Makes all the difference.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Richtiger

posted on 28/10/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
burton power web page reckon 6fs is standard pinto plug?! is it gunna make that much of a difference which ones i go for or am i splitting hairs?
britishtrident

posted on 30/10/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Copper core plugs have a very wide heat range and NGK are the best so the standard NGK listing or one step colder should be fine.

Back in the old days before copper projecting nose core plugs finding the correct plug for an application used to be a fine art these days plugs are more forgiving.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.