Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Marlin Sporster chassis
Alez

posted on 30/10/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Marlin Sporster chassis

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/sportster/
Does anyone have any pics of it? Or has anyone seen it? I'd like to learn if it's a modern proper space frame or rather a more outdated design. I like the looks of this car and I'm getting keen on the idea of buying one and putting something idiotic inside, like a Viper engine or something.

[Edited on 30/10/08 by Alez]

m8kwr

posted on 30/10/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
this site seemed to have a lot of photo of a build, with a BMW engine..

Link

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
same idea as their earlier cars

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 30/10/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Then no It spoils all the fun
mr henderson

posted on 30/10/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
There's nothing wrong with the Marlin chassis, it's a tried and tested design, and it allows for doors as well.

John

D Beddows

posted on 30/10/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
As Mr Henderson says there's nothing realy wrong with that chassis and if you're looking to put a huge engine in it I would say its probably actualy more suitable than a 'modern' spaceframe. I believe the one of the factory demonstrators has a BMW M Power engine btw. Modern sportscars don't have spceframes anyway - your Lotus elise for example is a glorified ladderframe chassis after all.....
Chippy

posted on 30/10/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
If the chassis is anything like the old Marlin Roadster, which it does seem to be, then it's a well designed piece of kit. The roadster handles very well, so can't see that this one would be much different. Cheers Ray

[Edited on 30-10-08 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

iank

posted on 30/10/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Only downside with the design is it's a bit heavier than a spaceframe, but marlins, at least the older designs, are used a lot for classic trials so their strength is undeniable.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
indeed, the original car was so stiff that the windscreen surround served as the roll bar

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cymtriks

posted on 30/10/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Trawl back far enough here, and on other forums, and you'll find some lively debates on "ladder frames VS spaceframes" prompted by my comments.

Most spaceframes are not actually anywhere near as stiff as their creators would like you to believe. Most of them lack the correct triangulation and a lot have lots of reinforcement in the wrong places.

Even if you get a spaceframe right then the actual weight saving for a road car for the same stiffness is probably less than ten percent and with a good ladder frame and some design compromises necessary to make the thing work may be around five.

Now look at the advantages of a ladder frame. Simpler, cheaper, easier to make, easier to get in and out of, better access for the engine and less restrictions on engine layout (intake and exhaust).

The Marlin is a good design. The main chassis members are, IIRC, made of thinner steel than most ladder frames and it also use stressed footwells, floor and tunnel areas. It uses its weight better than a lot of ladder frames do, which often rely on very heavy main tubes, and probably better than a lot of spaceframes as well.

Alez

posted on 31/10/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Gents I'm not seduced by ladderframes or poorly designed spaceframes, so I'll think of something else.

While on the topic of chassis and stiffness, I like very much the idea the GTM guys embraced quite a few years ago already (composite monocoque). The KTM X-Bow uses a similar thing I think. But that's a different story altogether

procomp

posted on 3/11/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

It was the front suspension that was being debated recently mind not the chassis.

Link HERE to the recall regarding lower front suspension arms.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.