Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit build - 2nd instalment
DaveFJ

posted on 17/1/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit build - 2nd instalment

There you go - the diffinitive solution, you can all stop worrying and bitching about the bodywork now.....

The whole bodywork fitting process has been covered in fine detail in this wonderfully unbiased editorial......

To save you running out and spending your hard earned pennies on this literary masterpeice I have copied the entire section on this most tiresome topic below.....

QUOTE :

" The shell is simply lifted over the space frame and carefully lowered into place until, with a little jiggling, it settles into position "

so there you go - simple

Dave

[Edited on 17/1/04 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

jacko

posted on 17/1/04 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote

ha ha i bet
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 17/1/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
That made me chuckle too when I read it.

I hope you don't mind, but I've just posted a very similar post on the Yahoo Tiger list. It should start it all off again...........

Have you seen all the posts on there about bodywork?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 18/1/04 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not building a Tiger but I have been following the various threads about this subject. I've come to the conclusion that the secret is in the jiggling. I have looked on various tool suppliers sites and am unable to find any jiggling tool, if anyone has any pictures could they post them to the site please. Is it supplied by Tiger with the bodywork?

yours, Pete.
P.S. Is anyone building a car from scratch as I am having difficulty locating any of this as well?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DARRYL

posted on 18/1/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
You receive the Jiggling tool when you purchase the comprehensive kit. Us in the trade call it an ANGLE GRINDER.... I feel sorry for all the poor saps who will beleive this poo and order a kit, like myself and quite justifiably feel RIPPED OFF.
Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger tool number one: Big hammer.

Tiger tool number two: Angle grinder.

Thats all thats required. Well it is a budget kit after all!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Viper

posted on 18/1/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps we should all write to the magazine and tell them what we think...

Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
Perhaps we should all write to the magazine and tell them what we think...

And that would be?

Graham

Viper

posted on 18/1/04 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
what a fantastic and accurate article, realy inspiring.
What do you think?

Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent Colin!

I hear Tiger have scrapped the second edition of "the book". They're just going to supply back issues of Which Kit, then people will be able to build one in about a month.

Oh what fools we are.......

Graham

nige

posted on 18/1/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
read with interest your views on the bodywork.
was thinking of useing it on my locost
but ?
is it really as bad as you say........

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

Viper

posted on 18/1/04 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rashandnige
read with interest your views on the bodywork.
was thinking of useing it on my locost
but ?
is it really as bad as you say........

WORSE, MUCH WORSE

Avoneer

posted on 18/1/04 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Shall I draft a letter and forward you all a copy to be sent on to the mag?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Go on then Pat, your really getting into this letter sending thing. Perhaps you should publish your responses from Tiger?

Graham

dave1888

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth while sending a letter to the mag just to see if you get a response. Somehow i don't think you will. I almost had the misfortune to own the Avon sprint a few years back paid my deposit only to get bumped when the B*****d told me he had been liquidated. I'll Give Jim at Tiger his due he offered me a cat e1 for the same money as the sprint.

Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the sprint expensive?

I think the Cat is cheaper to build than an Avon!

Graham

dave1888

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
If i remember right about £1500 for all in kit. It would work out more expensive because of engine/box combination rover to type 9.

Avoneer

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Will give it a go anyway.
I usually get a responce to my letters and gather a bunch of followers and haters at the same time!
Let's see who else I can annoy!
Pat...

dave1888

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I sent a letter to which when i got bumped by avon sprint needless to say it never got printed. Also SPD have they not been selling less that perfect goods (if i'm wrong then i apologise)
Northy

posted on 19/1/04 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
If i remember right about £1500 for all in kit. It would work out more expensive because of engine/box combination rover to type 9.

? I don't think many people fit a Rover lump. Usually Pinto or Zetec.

Graham

Avoneer

posted on 19/1/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Graham
The original Avon was never designed to fit a Pinto as the chassis wasn't tall enough.
Pat...

Lightning

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I just fitted the body on the chassis. Whilst I agreed it could be made much better, it proved not to be a s difficult as I expected. I used a Dremel type drill to sand out underneath the sections that fit over the tubes. Also ground off the projections on the chassiss welding. The rectangular chassis member that holds the roll bar also had to be reduced in width as this was causing the side panel to twist.
I have one small crack on the nearside roll that I should be able to repair.
Annoying though that the nearside rear wing is 25mm wider than the other side.
The major problem that I had was the two roll bar diagonal stays that I welded on were not symetrical (bugger) my fault though.
Now it has to come off again as the gear linkage has to be altered (paddle type shift) (double bugger)

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.