Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Photos of electric reverse
rb968

posted on 2/11/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Photos of electric reverse

Done a search on the subject of electric reverse for a BEC but can;t see any photos of anyone's installations.

Can anyone point em to any or to any members who might have photos in their archives?

Rich

Ninehigh

posted on 3/11/08 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like it's just an electric motor that runs against the hub or just inside the back wheel, like a 2 fingers to those who say you need a reverse.

If it's any other way I'm interested too

MikeCapon

posted on 3/11/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Here are a few

rev2
rev2

rev1
rev1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 3/11/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
And there's more.........

rev3
rev3

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 3/11/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
rev1
rev1

That's one propshaft you don't want to let go!

stuart_g

posted on 3/11/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Where can you get the large cogs from and what sizes are available?
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/11/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
rev1
rev1

That's one propshaft you don't want to let go!

hmm the idea of that spinning at a few thousand rpm in the tunnel is quite scary, I'd have put that cog on the diff like the other one

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

matt_claydon

posted on 3/11/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
The one mounted to the diff looks like the flex-plate from an automatic (autos have this instead of a flywheel, same dimensions but very low mass). Pretty much all autos have one and if you can get the starter off the same engine you will have a nice matched pair for next to nothing. They are obviously fairly large diameter so make sure you have the clearance for it though!
DarrenW

posted on 3/11/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Whats happened to the teeth in pic 2?

Are the starter motors permanently engaged then and turned by the engine during normal running? or do they work like a normal one and only engage when the bendix flings it forward?
Is the switch rigged up so starter motor cant be powered up when car is running forward?

If you are on a hill, is there enough power to make the car drive backwards up the hill? or do you need to be on a flat first to get it moving?

Im just interested how they work in practice, i guess they work very well if the flywheel is lcorrect size to help the gearing.

[Edited on 3/11/08 by DarrenW]

Bob C

posted on 4/11/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
The big green pics are mine - yeah choice of kidneys or ankles..... The gear is in there as it's also the handbrake but I've still not done the electrics for it yet (too many other projects) and it IS a PITA having to get out and push backwards. Maybe I'll get round to fixing it this winter...
I got the gear specially made by an old geezer in Middlewich I think - it had to be a special to fit in the tunnel & mesh with the starter motor. And it's made of stainless. The teeth are OK, there's an optical illusion in the pic....
The plan is that the starter motor engagement solenoid will be interlocked with the bike neutral switch and instead of directly powering the motor, it will do so via a PWM controller. That gives fine control and a useful current multiplication at low voltage output.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.