Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LocostBuilders 'camp out' event
ChrisW

posted on 28/3/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
LocostBuilders 'camp out' event

There has been an idea proposed to me that we organise a LocostBuilders 'camp out' weekend, which sounds like a fun idea to me and a way of getting everyone together. Basically a camping weekend with cars.

I've done some preliminary research into locations, costs, etc and now would like a show of interest from you as to whether you would be interested in coming along, any suggestions, etc. Obviously there's no point in organising it all if nobody is going to show up!

A family friend has a plot of land we can hire. He uses it for fetes, shows, etc. It's on the A413 just North of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, quite a well known stretch both for it being a 'good road' but also, probably for the same reason, for having the highest motorbike accident rate in Thames Valley. It's a great drive in a seven as long as you're sensible, and I'm sure people will want to take advantage of that.

(Note that I only know the owner's brother-in-law who tells me that the site is available for rent for this kind of thing and has given me a rough price. I've not spoken to the actual owner yet, hence not saying exactly where the site is. I'm sure anyone local can work it out though!)

So, the plan would be something along the lines of:

- Arrive Saturday after lunch, say 3pm onwards, set up tents, etc
- BBQ for Saturday evening, all catered (burgers, sausage, hog roast, etc)
- Marquee with a bar and some live music until late
- Some things to keep the kids occupied if people are bringing them along!
- Sleep
- Morning breakfast, again all catered (bacon sarnies, tea/coffee, that kind of thing)
- Head off mid-morning

I'll lay on mobile toilet blocks, showers for the morning, etc. Will have security on the gate and walking around all night to keep an eye on people's cars.

Also hoping to persuade some of the traders to bring their wares to demonstrate/drool over/etc. Hopefully we can get some rides and/or test drives going on.

Price would be about £30 per person which would include all food and hot drinks. Beer will have to be on top, but I'll make sure it's sensibly priced not like at the mainstream shows.

Note that I'm not doing this to make cash out of you lot, so I'll take a rough idea of how many people are coming and divide the cost between. Anything left will either go on improving the event/facilities/food/etc.

I'd expect to do this during July to guarantee good weather. I'll take feedback on whether doing it during the school holidays makes it more or less attractive!

So, over to you. Is this something you would like to get involved with? Is the date suitable? Price reasonable? Anything you would do different? Anything else you'd like to see there?

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a really nice idea.

My attendance depends on me getting some work though and being able to afford it!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mad4x4

posted on 29/3/11 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
Could we not get a site a weeeee bit further north. This will only be a 12 hr drive if I were to come. Some where about cumbria or \north Yorkshire would be better.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

gavin174

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like a good plan to me..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

HowardB

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
sounds good, weekends are busy, so apologies in advance if it clshes and I can't make it.

in support of a northern event, in addition to a Beds/Herts and Bucks one. Perhaps there could be one in Scotland and a tour between them?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

bob

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Count me in Chris.

karlak

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good to me, again depending on date and not clashing with work.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

whitestu

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I could be up for it depending on when it is.

Stu

omega0684

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Im up for that. sounds like a right laugh,

surely we could arrange a blat out as well, saturday morning or sunday afternoon for lunch before returning to the camp site or our homes?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
sounds awesome I'd love to go pending permission from Mrs Mc and our 2 month old

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a plan to me, best get on and finish the car then

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
How about holding it at a 750MC race weekend??? Camp at the circuit, BBQ, beer and racing, does it get much better????

Donington is central and holding a full weekend this summer?

[Edited on 29/3/11 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

pekwah1

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
sounds really good but no chance of my car being ready, i'll have to find a free seat somewhere i guess.....!
rallyingden

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote from a Northener ........ Donnington would be OK or in that area if you dont want to combine racing weekend costs.

RD

steve m

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Count me in, assuming im not on shift, or away with family in the caravan

Andy, can come up with me?

chrisxr2

posted on 29/3/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
sounds good

sounds good to me.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

blakep82

posted on 29/3/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
way too far south

looking at the map, its not like most builder are in the south with a few further up north, its an equal spread (in england at least)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103389385780517934652.00046cd68141a23c2af63

[Edited on 29/3/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 29/3/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm game if I can come on my bike and not a kit, doubt it'll be ready by then ha.
With regards to location if its too far south we live on a farm near Newark and have a camp site which I'm sire my parents will do a good deal on if this suits people better, I'm not trying to say your location is rubbish as.I can probably get there but if the general consensus wants it further north this might be a better idea.

pekwah1

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Count me in, assuming im not on shift, or away with family in the caravan

Andy, can come up with me?

Missus not invited then
Otherwise that'd be great! could finally get your kitcar issue back to you!

steve m

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Wife has only been in my car twice in 11 years, and complained both times

So no, but some one elses wife !!

pekwah1

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
i'll be your wife for the day.....
bi22le

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yep sounds good.

As long as its not too far north!!!!

Although I think it would be alot of fun if people from the south met up and took a windy route up in convoy.

I like the idea of doing it on a 750 weekend, hopefully RGB. It means that the focus is taken away from driving like loons on public roads and escalating to something people regret. Also means that we can offer support to all of the racers on here.

I am free all July at the mo but will be doing track days, oh maybe I could tie a northan track day in. THis is getting better by the second.

Trackday Friday, camping and RGB Sat and Sun. Perfect I think

Would be really good to meet up with you lot too. HAve a sniff around your cars, pinch some ideas and chink a beer.

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

RichardK

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Count me in subject to bla bla

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Yep sounds good.

As long as its not too far north!!!!

Although I think it would be alot of fun if people from the south met up and took a windy route up in convoy.

I like the idea of doing it on a 750 weekend, hopefully RGB. It means that the focus is taken away from driving like loons on public roads and escalating to something people regret. Also means that we can offer support to all of the racers on here.

I am free all July at the mo but will be doing track days, oh maybe I could tie a northan track day in. THis is getting better by the second.

Trackday Friday, camping and RGB Sat and Sun. Perfect I think

Would be really good to meet up with you lot too. HAve a sniff around your cars, pinch some ideas and chink a beer.

Biz

A weekend that had locost, kits and RGB would be perfect, something for everyone

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Humbug

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Put me down as a possible (subject to being free that particular weekend, etc.) - the original suggestion of Aylesbury would be fine for me
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.